Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421

• Husqvarna 450

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Dolmar 421

Votes: 48 73.8%

• Total voters
I'd rather have one good saw.
Shouldn't be a problem, with any reasonable care. IMHO. I've had one for ~3.5 yrs. It's been my main mid-size saw for much of that time. Takes a licking & keeps on ticking. You can now get factory-refurbs PP5020s for $140 from VMInnovations-dot-com, shipping included.
IMO, they could lose a pound or so, but for the price, c'mon. Gas, oil, go.

I believe I understand what you are saying but I'm economically constrained and prefer a new saw with dealer support. I believe that I chose the right saw, though.

Hurry up and go do some work! Mine hasn't even shipped yet :(

I never bough saws often enough to be economically concerned about it. My only "cheap" mistake (it always is) was to buy a 353 instead of a 346xp in 2003.

Both models are better options than those this thread is about though.

I never bough saws often enough to be economically concerned about it. My only "cheap" mistake (it always is) was to buy a 353 instead of a 346xp in 2003.

Both models are better options than those this thread is about though.

Well, good for you. I'm not buying saws a lot and am supporting my family on a single income so I am on a budget. I'm pleased that I got a saw that won't let me down and I'm not at all worried nor jealous of the saws you mentioned.

Well, good for you. I'm not buying saws a lot and am supporting my family on a single income so I am on a budget. I'm pleased that I got a saw that won't let me down and I'm not at all worried nor jealous of the saws you mentioned.
LOL ST just likes to get guys riled up i think. He bleeds husky.
Even though that Dolmar produces a better saw. Husqvarna has no competition for the 421. In fact it looks like they gave up trying in the 40cc market and just expect customers to pay the extra premium for the 545 or 550.
And for 60cc saws. Well I will just say I never see a "help my 6100 is broke thread" however there is usually one or two a week about 562 problems.
In all honesty I just respond like this to give ST a hard time. Lol even though it is just a fact that Dolmar is better.

Yeah, I don't see anything on the US market that can compete in the 40cc class with the Dolmar 421.

It seems like most Dolmar owners are quietly satisfied.

Shouldn't be a problem, with any reasonable care. IMHO. I've had one for ~3.5 yrs. It's been my main mid-size saw for much of that time. Takes a licking & keeps on ticking. You can now get factory-refurbs PP5020s for $140 from VMInnovations-dot-com, shipping included.
Yank, he had a Poulan and it was junk so now he bought a good saw. You should drop the fanboy rhetoric from every post you make.

Sorry, I should have added "price" as well.
Price matters to me as well - and there are other less expensive saws I would buy before a 421. I would buy a PP5020 before I'd shell out for a 421, and even if I didn't port it I have no doubt I'd have it running well because there's simply nothing wrong with the design.

It's important to keep in mind that the PP5020 you bought was a used/reconditioned saw that apparently had something wrong with it. And then you experimented with tuning on it - and we still don't know what's wrong with it (it might be minor). Most of what you're experiencing with the 421 is a saw that isn't defective and has been properly tuned. But it doesn't have any magic secret sauce that will keep it tuned any more that the 5020 did, as it has a similar fuel system. The case material and split case vs. clamshell makes no difference at all in terms of how a stock (or nearly stock) saw will perform or last for this use.

The other thing you and other converts to the 421 are experiencing is that by golly a good 40cc saw with sharp lo pro chain will actually cut a lot of wood. I have 8 saws from 38cc to 42cc, some stock and some ported, some plastic cased Poulan clamshells and some Zenoah split cased designs, and every one will do that too.

Price matters to me as well - and there are other less expensive saws I would buy before a 421. I would buy a PP5020 before I'd shell out for a 421, and even if I didn't port it I have no doubt I'd have it running well because there's simply nothing wrong with the design.

It's important to keep in mind that the PP5020 you bought was a used/reconditioned saw that apparently had something wrong with it. And then you experimented with tuning on it - and we still don't know what's wrong with it (it might be minor). Most of what you're experiencing with the 421 is a saw that isn't defective and has been properly tuned. But it doesn't have any magic secret sauce that will keep it tuned any more that the 5020 did, as it has a similar fuel system. The case material and split case vs. clamshell makes no difference at all in terms of how a stock (or nearly stock) saw will perform or last for this use.

The other thing you and other converts to the 421 are experiencing is that by golly a good 40cc saw with sharp lo pro chain will actually cut a lot of wood. I have 8 saws from 38cc to 42cc, some stock and some ported, some plastic cased Poulan clamshells and some Zenoah split cased designs, and every one will do that too.

I agree with some of what you said and disagree with other parts but I say all of this in the spirit of civil discourse and hope not to give any offense as I do not mean to.

There's no doubt you could get anything running. There is much doubt that I or Joe Homeowner could nor if it was worth the time to do so when on a limited time budget. I can make any AR15 run well. I can diagnose what's wrong from barrel crown to buffer weight to extractor spring to gas port and beyond. That doesn't mean I recommend a cheap AR15 because I can make any AR15 run. I recommend something that is problem free out of the gate or at least supported by a manufacturer that will step up and fix the problem.

In my case, Poulan referred me to my local authorized repair center which was my Stihl dealer who was dealing with their spring backlog from the numerous arborists out here and they also advised that it's extremely difficult dealing with Poulan once the saw is diagnosed (diagnosis is the first step, no work can be done until the local authorized repair center diagnoses the saw and Poulan authorizes or refuses repair and sends the parts). So, I do understand that under the hood the saw are essentially the same but you sure don't hear a lot about Dolmar problems as opposed to Poulans. Obviously, that's probably due to the number of each on the market mainly but I sincerely doubt that the same care and attention to detail is taken with a Poulan's assembly as is a Dolmar's. Also, in my limited experience and as reported by many others, the Dolmar 42CC feels at least as strong as most 50CC saws, mine feels way stronger than my old Poulan 5020AV even when I was running my 5020AV with a 16" bar.

If I have a problem with this saw, Dolmar or fordf150 will make it right. I absolutely acknowledge that I probably had a bad Poulan. I also happily admit that there's probably no way of statistically proving my hunch that Dolmars are assembled to a higher level of quality control than Poulans. However, I think that the Dolmar is a safer bet than Poulan for those that don't tear down carbs and redesign saws in their spare time :D

I did buy a reconditioned one and it ran poorly before a fuel line melted and fell out. I gave up and returned it. I don't doubt that there's many good Poulan 5020AVs out there but I have had enough of tinkering with stuff.

I usually agree with a lot that you say Chris-PA, but this time I doubt that the Poulan is going to last the same as the Dolmar. I presume there is a reason that f.e. @KenJax Tree has run hundreds of refill's through his 421 without a fault.

I also happily admit that there's probably no way of statistically proving my hunch that Dolmars are assembled to a higher level of quality control than Poulans. However, I think that the Dolmar is safer bet than Poulan for those that don't tear down carbs and redesign saws in their spare time :D
Actually Dolmar/ Makita proudly boast about their saws being made one at a time by one technician start to finish.

The 5020 is OK for what it is, but it's really a pos like all Poulan's these days. My guess is some are just trying to stir the pot a little, as comparing a 5020 to a 421 is absurd on many different levels.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Ouch, in one breath you say it's okay for what it is, the next you say it's a POS. Its a $200 home owner saw. That's what it is. Comparing it to a professional saw is ridiculous. For the amount of use it was purchased and being a refurbished saw was an equally an unfair "review" of its intended purpose. For the average homeowner it is a good buy for that price.

There's no doubt you could get anything running. There is much doubt that I or Joe Homeowner could nor if it was worth the time to do so when on a limited time budget.
But you're starting from the premise that they don't already run. I know your used saw didn't, but how about others bought them new and like them?

The 5020 is OK for what it is, but it's really a pos like all Poulan's these days. My guess is some are just trying to stir the pot a little, as comparing a 5020 to a 421 is absurd on many different levels.
You guys are really gonna make me get one aren't you? It would go along with all my other POS Poulans, all of which seem to work just fine.

Latest posts

Back