Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husqvarna 450 or Dolmar 421

• Husqvarna 450

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Dolmar 421

Votes: 48 73.8%

• Total voters
I generally turn the bar on my saw over every 4-6 hours of use. I've honestly never worn one out.

I don't think you need to worry about replacing your bar yet, but on the other hand, since it's your only saw, having a backup bar would be a good idea. That way, if you get the bar pinched real bad, you can remove the power head and install the new bar, free the stuck one, and get back to work. Same if you destroy the bar somehow.

Bars for these saws are cheap. Get anything that is the right pitch and gauge, uses the right number of driver links, and matches the type of mount you have.

Well, there goes the excuse to upgrade to the expensive but color matching Cannon bar :D

What should I do with my existing Poulan 16" chains? I don't have the tools to modify them from 60DL to 56DL. Is there someone that modifies them for a small fee or should I just sell them all? Some are new.

Currently the GB bars are being phased out by left coast and the price has been lowered. Basically a good bar at a good price.

So, just tuck it away for the future since it's a good deal now? This is a very good price, then?

Well, there goes the excuse to upgrade to the expensive but color matching Cannon bar :D

What should I do with my existing Poulan 16" chains? I don't have the tools to modify them from 60DL to 56DL. Is there someone that modifies them for a small fee or should I just sell them all? Some are new.

Most saw dealerships can remove a few drive links for you. Before you take them in, though, make sure that they are the same pitch and gauge as your new setup. The Dolmar is 3/8 lo-profile, I'm not sure what the Poulan runs, but it may not be the same.

This is one situation where having a relationship with a local dealer helps, because they might spin them down to size for free for you while you're there picking up some 2-stroke oil and bar and chain oil. Otherwise, they might want $5/chain or so.

The Dolmar is 3/8 lo-profile, I'm not sure what the Poulan runs, but it may not be the same.

Those Poulans are full 3/8 chains so they will not fit a 3/8 low profile saw. Either keep them for your back up saw or throw them on the trading post here.

The 5020 that I worked on a few weeks ago came stock with 3/8 .050 vanguard chain. Not what comes on a 421.

OT, but I wonder how much better a 5020 would cut if someone converted it to low pro or .325?
Well with the stock bar and chain you will be replacing them soon enough to check out something new. The bar on the one I worked on bent very east and stared to separate while just trying to do some minor straightening.

Those Poulans are full 3/8 chains so they will not fit a 3/8 low profile saw. Either keep them for your back up saw or throw them on the trading post here.

I'll be putting up a mess of used/new 16" and 20" chains plus a 16" bar for the Poulan as soon as I do an inventory. Just want to get rid of it all.

Last night, I was very frustrated as my riding mower had a mandrel break at a bad time so I had to fire up the 421 and fell a tree (I've got tons of trees that still need felling). My little German girl did not disappoint, she buzzed right through the tree and showered me with chips, it fell right where I planned, and I bucked most of it before I had to quit for the night. I'm getting there, we can almost completely see from our window, the creek that runs through our property. The 421 is absolutely an asset to my family.

Pinched the factory bar today felling a willow oak. Pro Lite bar en route. I think that I can repair the factory bar.

I'd be surprised if the op did not have a hammer/small axe, punch and file.... that's all you really need to adjust the length of your loops. 5 mins per chain is all it takes, breakers & spinners are great but far from essential! I have adjusted loops in the field with very basic equipment.

I'd be surprised if the op did not have a hammer/small axe, punch and file.... that's all you really need to adjust the length of your loops. 5 mins per chain is all it takes, breakers & spinners are great but far from essential! I have adjusted loops in the field with very basic equipment.

I thought the same but the new saw uses low profile chain and the old one did not.

Five tanks between yesterday and today. I really like how easy it is to turn up the oiler when flush cutting stumps.

My little German girl continues to run like clockwork. Never more than two pulls to start after you do the first two at full choke. Warm, she starts on one pull without being choked.

Five tanks between yesterday and today. I really like how easy it is to turn up the oiler when flush cutting stumps.

My little German girl continues to run like clockwork. Never more than two pulls to start after you do the first two at full choke. Warm, she starts on one pull without being choked.
No you see why us who use Dolmar's always refer them to people we like. Lol

No you see why us who use Dolmar's always refer them to people we like. Lol

YUP. Man, I'm a sucker for stuff that just works. I keep eyeing 6100s and 7910s even though nearly all of my work can be done with my 421. I'm happy to have convinced someone else on this forum to buy a 421 from @fordf150.

Kinda tired from running a saw for four hours. Anyone want to come out and gather up the scraggly top limbs and haul them away for me :D

LOL - running the saw is the short, easy part of the job. A faster saw just means you have to get to the working part sooner.

Yeah, it's just like hunting. The real work starts after you drop the animal or the tree.

YUP. Man, I'm a sucker for stuff that just works. I keep eyeing 6100s and 7910s even though nearly all of my work can be done with my 421. I'm happy to have convinced someone else on this forum to buy a 421 from @fordf150.

Kinda tired from running a saw for four hours. Anyone want to come out and gather up the scraggly top limbs and haul them away for me :D
The 6100 and 7910 are serious work saws and can get tons of wood down and cut.
I am not sure how large the majority of tippy trees are or how much land you want to clear. However to give you an idea I have 40 acres of timber majority is oak and hickory and few trees are over 24-26 in across. I got the 6100 and it will handle everything I have. I also know that a 421 would handle 75% of the timber I have. Of course I would have no problem taking down a 16" Hickory with a 421.

Latest posts

Back