Gas Log splitter under $200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crappiemiser

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
if you could buy an old splitter that has been sitting outside for years has bad tires,hydro lines, motor won't start would you? Probably in the 20 ton range. I have a working splitter so I'd just be fixing up to sell or rent possibly.

I sure would, but then I have more time than money most of the time. I bought mine for 200 in non running condition, put another $140 into it and it should be good for another 25 years.

27638490294_0722aea575_b.jpg

29079730316_e53da0fe8a_b.jpg

Wow mtnwkr that looks great and I think that's the same splitter for sale. Might be nice for a winter project. What brand is that?

In a heart beat go some exactly the picture above fix em up make your money + the first weekend rental love it!!!

Probably. Got a pic?

Anybody price a cylinder lately? $$ for that & the beam/wedge should tell the story.

Probably. Got a pic?

Anybody price a cylinder lately? $$ for that & the beam/wedge should tell the story.
I've been looking at cylinders a lil bit cuz I want to build a splitter that mounts to my skid steer. I can't recall seeing one under $300 in the size I'm looking. Plus take in to account it's already fabricated, with everything mounted.
I'd buy it in a minute and fix er up. I bought 5.5 hp Honda GX motor off CL for a hundred bucks a few years back. That replaced my old splitter engine. Lines wouldn't be real pricey as there's only a few.
Try getting it a lil cheaper, if not I still think it's a decent deal. Like the OP said turn it into a rental and make that money back...

Interesting you would post this, as I have a splitter someone dropped off to get fixed in the same situation - it was sitting outside, motor is seized, hydraulic lines are questionable, tires are junk, but otherwise the cylinder/valve body/pump/frame all look good. Here is how I have things figured:

Used Honda GX240 off of a pressure washer - $200
New motor & pump mounts, home made - $25
New Hydraulic Lines - $50
Sandblasting, Primer, Paint - $75
Two used tires I had laying behind the shop - Free

So yeah, he's putting $350 in it, but he only paid $100 for it. $450 for a working splitter that shouldn't give him issues for years isn't bad. When I scratch build a splitter I usually have around $1000 in parts alone, plus 20 hours of labor, so if you're looking for a splitter on a budget I think that is the way to go.

00H0H_eDhl3utwW1P_600x450.jpg

Here is the same splitter I have already for $400 bucks on CL. Makes me think maybe I'll pass on fixer upper!

The fixer upper you posted is a Didier - probably from the 1970's. My Didier didn't look quite that rusted but, yeah, it needed fixing up (new motor, lines, cylinder rings, hydraulic tank after using it for around 5 years). Triptester on this board 'lifted it' and I love it! My Didier was pretty well grease encrusted when I got it and I have left it that way as it sits outside with a bucket covering the engine and a tarp for the rest of it. I figure the grease acts as an anti-rust preservative. :) I've even got some not-so-polluted-air in it's 1970's vintage, weather-cracked-but-holding-air tires......... :) It's tire condition doesn't bother me as it only gets rolled around on my driveway.

I've decided to pass on that deal. If I didn't have a splitter I would've went for it but there are three splitters just like that one on CL for around$300 and they are running units. Somebody will breathe life into it again I'm sure.

I sure would, but then I have more time than money most of the time. I bought mine for 200 in non running condition, put another $140 into it and it should be good for another 25 years.

27638490294_0722aea575_b.jpg

29079730316_e53da0fe8a_b.jpg
$340 for that machine is not bad at all! You did a nice resto sir.

Back