Anyone build an atv yard trailer fire wood hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well has anyone? My tractor supply yard trailer is on its way out and idk if I should fix it or build a new one. It needs tires and wheels and the rear end needs some support.

I'd like to build a 3x5 trailer with some nice wide tires to float over the ground while loaded with wood. I have a bunch of round tubing laying around don't know if it's strong enough for say 800lbs. I would still need wheels and tires.

Not yet. But I'd definitely use the widest wheels I could find. I've beat the heck out of a Sears wagon and it's still going.

Nice looking Suzuki. I searched the free section for trailers. I'm on a budget. I'd like a bigger trailer but either way I'm going to have to buy wheels and tires. Free steel would be great.

Not yet. But I'd definitely use the widest wheels I could find. I've beat the heck out of a Sears wagon and it's still going.

Mine sat all winter come some "warmer" weather the tires were flat. Both tubes destroyed. It's been a good trailer but it was 109 or something at tsc. New wheels and wider tires about the same price.

4.5'x3' x2' made from an old sears yard wagon/trailer... put the bigger box on after the sides rotted of along with 5 hole high speed boat trailer hubs.... tires are 8.50"x18.5" 6 ply rating think the wheel is an 8"... 3.5 of these make a stacked cord. notice the angle of the tongue, it's been bent more than a few times and its a dumper006.JPG IMG_6586.JPG

4.5'x3' x2' made from an old sears yard wagon/trailer... put the bigger box on after the sides rotted of along with 5 hole high speed boat trailer hubs.... tires are 8.50"x18.5" 6 ply rating think the wheel is an 8"... 3.5 of these make a stacked cord. notice the angle of the tongue, it's been bent more than a few times and its a dumperView attachment 569535 View attachment 569536
Looks good. My Sears wagon is about 5.5 loads to the cord so with the high sides you can carry almost double!

Hello,
If you want nice wide tires that will hold around 800lbs. each, get some golf cart wheels and tires. I used them to build my last yard/firewood cart and they work great. I got them off of EBay. They were new take-offs from some business that customized golf carts with bigger tires and wheels. Then go to a trailer parts website and get some new hubs for around $20 bucks or so each. I also bought 2 new spindles and welded them into a stout piece of pipe and made my own axle. That way you can make the axle any width you want. Good luck.

Henry and Wanda

I'll check it out. I'm using the old sportsman 500 19 years old with 700 miles on it. I started building it today tack welded some pipes together with the mig will finish it with the stick welder. Looks like it's going to be 4x3x2.

Just use the rear end of a car or van. I've made tons of trailers over the years using the old K car rear ends. I have two that I haul logs with behind my Steiners. Lots of pictures on my thread "Steiner logging".

Nice cart. I'm building a trailer for getting cut up trees but it would be nice to take the logs back to the house to cut them up.

Is a Steiner the same as the Mitsubishi tractor? I can't remember. Someday I'll have another tractor I sold my ford 850 a couple years ago.

Steiner and Ventrac are in kind of their own league. There are some European ones that share some things and the prices reflect that. Nice thing about using car rear ends is that tires are cheap and they last a long time.
Scroll down to thread #111 Jthorton has a k car rear end for his splitter.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/started-my-splitter-build.252245/page-6
This picture shows a typical k car rear end. You can see where the brakes etc just unbolt off and you have about a 3"x3" square to weld or bolt to.
kcar.jpg

Hey Mustang 71,
Well, unless you are always going to be hauling tiny little loads, yes, you will be hauling 800lbs. or MORE !!!! Your cart will be able to haul 24 cu. ft . (3x4x2) and dirt weighs anywhere from 74-110 lbs. per cubic foot. Even if your cart was only half full, that is between 888 and 1320 ponds. If you load it with red oak, red oak weighs around 45lbs. per cubic foot. I know when I load my yard trailer with firewood, I always fill it and usually heap it up in the middle. If you do that with yours (which is not really that big of a cart), you will be looking at around 1100 or more pounds. Also, don't forget about the weight of the cart itself....it will probably weigh 150 lbs. Better check your facts.....I was just trying to be helpful.

I "stole" this cart from the weeds at the shop. Was half buried, sitting for probably 10 years and somehow the tires still had air.

Not sure the weight rating, but last summer I hauled RR ties with it, 5 or 6 at a time.

Several years ago I paid $50 for an old junky yard trailer. Had car-size tires on it and looked to be part of a frame from a very old car. I put on some tires that would hold air and built a decent box on it. Worked great!
zhangtime.jpg
The 8x4 size was just a bit too big, and I had to be careful loading it. The kids love to use it for a see-saw when it was parked.

I recently modded it by taking out the springs and removing as much metal as I could to make it lighter. Box was all rotted, so I put a simple platform on without the box. (I needed to drag out some wood up a steep hill, and I wanted the trailer as light as possible for that job). I was planning on selling it as I now have a 5x10 trailer which the lawn tractor can pull, but I like the smaller/lower size now, so maybe I'll keep it around a bit longer. Sorry, no more pics of it.

I have the 5x8 trailer that I use but it's a bit hard to maneuver around trees and it's big size is pointless because if I fully load it with wood it sinks in the ground and is pretty tough on the atv.

FWIW, I use a Deere 15s cart rated at 1650 lbs. Recently Deere rebadged this trailer as an 18s, presuming I guess that folks heaped up the contents to 18 ³ft anyway. Of course they are ridiculously expensive new, but can be had on CL at reasonable prices, still not cheap though. I own a larger 5'x8' trailer I can use in the open lawn, or on the road, but as was mentioned, it is not good for snaking around the woods.
IMG_9400.JPG

Most of my loads are pulled on frozen ground, so I don't see big tires as particularly useful. But, Deere also makes a UTV cart I think they label as a 21. Curiously, it has a lower gross weight limit of 1000 lbs. But does have fat, lugged tires. It is bigger than the 15s, and wider. Looks like this:

NNB_21at_cart_642_462.jpg

Latest posts

Back