Does Walnut make good firewood??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will get some pictures of it. I haven't got a real good look at it. I've been cutting on the top. The trunk sort of disapears into overgrown weeds. I'm not even sure how long it is. I will get some good pictures and measurements.

There are two things to consider when looking at walnut value, The part that is of value is in the ground. I was asked time and time again to winch out the stumps with about 8' sticking above ground. When you have 60 or 80 stumps to come out getting set up to do is not a problem. When you have one and you have never done it before that is a problem. If your slabs have some value in your area then go for it other wise enjoy a nice warm winter. Thanks

There are two things to consider when looking at walnut value, The part that is of value is in the ground. I was asked time and time again to winch out the stumps with about 8' sticking above ground. When you have 60 or 80 stumps to come out getting set up to do is not a problem. When you have one and you have never done it before that is a problem. If your slabs have some value in your area then go for it other wise enjoy a nice warm winter. Thanks
Stump wood can definitely be nice stuff.

Can we see a picture of the trunk?

I got some pictures of what is left of the trunk. The trunk is 20' long. 24" on the small end, 30" on the big end. The first 12' looks straight, the top 8' has a little crook to it. I haven't cut it off at the base yet, so I don't know if there is any rot or hollow in it. it is a blow over tree. looks like it was growing right against another tree and broke off at the roots.IMG_4595[1].JPG IMG_4584[1].JPG IMG_4599[1].JPG

View attachment 593813

What value is there in the stump/roots? What is left of it is already out of the ground. Could there be any value it this one?

Attachments

• IMG_4590[1].JPG
    IMG_4590[1].JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4589[1].JPG
    IMG_4589[1].JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 26
View attachment 593813

What value is there in the stump/roots? What is left of it is already out of the ground. Could there be any value it this one?
Stump / root wood often has the most figured grain of the whole tree. What I've worked with seems to have been just a little softer than the upper parts of the tree so it was easier to cut and carve.

I haven't seen any blue stains, or any signs of metal. The tree was in a cow field but not near any fence rows. I would need to rent something to load it if I was going to log it.
Yes if its a worthy log, a Chain Saw Mill would be worth buying to mill it up yourself, plus you'd have a new toy to use from time to time on other worthy logs.

A typical stump weighed in at 20,000 and has no value dry. Pretty much all the sizable wood that I worked with went to gun stock. The guy that I learned from would leave 8 to 10'' out of the ground to winch from. He would dig around the base with his crawler then push with his multi blade until the entire stump was out of the ground. Or myself or some one with a winch could put a choker around the top of the stump and pull. I estimate about 40 to 60,000 lbs of force was needed for an average tree to come out. You would immediately cut any roots sticking out and then load it on a flatbed trailer and haul it to place where it could be pressure washed after drying for a couple of days it would be waxed to keep it from drying. When you had 8 to 20 stumps call the buyer and he would make an offer on what you had. Some times more than one buyer was interested and other times no body came to look at them. Since they were waxed they would keep for awhile. Thanks

It's burns a lot of ash comes from it. You could sell the stump part. But to be honest s guyjould have sold the hole tree. It's worth but bucks in new York sold one tree two years ago....got 10 grand for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I got some pictures of what is left of the trunk. The trunk is 20' long. 24" on the small end, 30" on the big end. The first 12' looks straight, the top 8' has a little crook to it. I haven't cut it off at the base yet, so I don't know if there is any rot or hollow in it. it is a blow over tree. looks like it was growing right against another tree and broke off at the roots.View attachment 593807 View attachment 593808 View attachment 593809
cut it up and throw it in the the bug,take it home and burn it. burns nice colors of blues and greens. i get $100 1/2 cord for it from the fireplace people.

Walnut is so so for use in stoves, but it is great for campfire wood. I sold about 3.5 cord to campers and everyone has really liked it, smells good too.

Walnut is so so for use in stoves, but it is great for campfire wood. I sold about 3.5 cord to campers and everyone has really liked it, smells good too.
I delivered a truckload of walnut to a lady for campfire wood at a beach house this past May. After she found out it was black walnut, she threw in another $10 for a tip. Also, she even helped me unload and stack it.

I delivered a truckload of walnut to a lady for campfire wood at a beach house this past May. After she found out it was black walnut, she threw in another $10 for a tip. Also, she even helped me unload and stack it.

Walnut sure smells a lot better burning than it does when you are cutting it.

Does Walnut make good firewood? hope so, I'm gonna be burning a lot of it. This is the first load I cut this afternoon. There will be one more load of the trunk. I don't plan on taking the trunk to a mill, but how much would it be worth if I could get it to a mill. The log is a little over 24" where I quit cutting this afternoon. I am guessing there is 18' + or - left of the trunk will be about 30" in dia on the big end. It blew over about 8 months ago, but it was still connected because it had some green sprouts on it. View attachment 593252

Can make good fire wood. Some can also make choice gunstock wood also.

Back