Does Walnut make good firewood??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW Splitter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Does Walnut make good firewood? hope so, I'm gonna be burning a lot of it. This is the first load I cut this afternoon. There will be one more load of the trunk. I don't plan on taking the trunk to a mill, but how much would it be worth if I could get it to a mill. The log is a little over 24" where I quit cutting this afternoon. I am guessing there is 18' + or - left of the trunk will be about 30" in dia on the big end. It blew over about 8 months ago, but it was still connected because it had some green sprouts on it. IMG_4582[1].JPG

It does make a lot of ash but the smoke has a nice aroma. That almost looks like highly valuable walnut. If the butt log is that nice, seems a shame to burn it.
Was it a yard tree? Any chance of metal in it? Do you see any blue stain on any of the cuts?
I haven't seen any blue stains, or any signs of metal. The tree was in a cow field but not near any fence rows. I would need to rent something to load it if I was going to log it.

It's a good firewood. But it will pop when you burn it. I kind of like the pop, but you have to make sure the embers don't get past your fireplace screen. LOL
Cannot see your Pic. That's called Photobucket Syndrome. I have dumped Photobucket.

Walnut does not hold a candle to mulberry when it comes to snap, crackle, and pop. That's MHO. Not too many customers want the mulberry action, but most really enjoy burning walnut. The walnut fragrance when it burns is a bit captivating. So, I get requests for it.

Does Walnut make good firewood? hope so, I'm gonna be burning a lot of it. This is the first load I cut this afternoon. There will be one more load of the trunk. I don't plan on taking the trunk to a mill, but how much would it be worth if I could get it to a mill. The log is a little over 24" where I quit cutting this afternoon. I am guessing there is 18' + or - left of the trunk will be about 30" in dia on the big end. It blew over about 8 months ago, but it was still connected because it had some green sprouts on it. View attachment 593252

A good base not the whole part that sits above ground could bring $7500. It is too bad it is all cut up. I worked with a guy who sold $500,000 to $700,000 worth of walnut every year for gun stock. IDK if planks are worth anything. You could say I got the dirty end of the stick because I made most of the upper parts of the tree into firewood. Thanks

A good base not the whole part that sits above ground could bring $7500. It is too bad it is all cut up. I worked with a guy who sold $500,000 to $700,000 worth of walnut every year for gun stock. IDK if planks are worth anything. You could say I got the dirty end of the stick because I made most of the upper parts of the tree into firewood. Thanks

Well that being said it will bring some good heat lol

I find that it dries slowly, like oak. It was ok to burn after one year C/S/S but really was nice after two. I was surprised how heavy it was after drying two years. I also think the bark gives a lot of the ash. The last that I had was mostly bark free and I didn't notice much more ash than anything else.

It splits super easy and smells really nice when burned. Almost like a pleasant pipe tobacco. I use it some for smoking meat. I have read conflicting opinions on using it for smoking. I mix it in with other fragrant woods.

IDK how much ash it produces. The wood that I was dealing with was often two or three years old. It seemed to produce a little more ash than Pine. I refer to it as a medium. There is nothing wrong with it. Unless you have 200 cords of it its biggest value is firewood. Thanks

Chainsaw mill? Mill it where it sets? Check this out. http://www.keimlumber.com/walnutblack
That web site makes me think twice before I cut the rest of it up. The big section of the trunk hasn't been cut yet. I have a 36" Alaskan mill. I could make some slabs out of it. Does it have to dry out for years before It is worth that kind of money? Could I slab it and sell it green?

Back