Straight gas brand new chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I saw an ad for chainsaw- gas powered for sale cheap

I and curious and call, the guy knows it is a Ryobi but has no idea what model. I get him to look for numbers and letters on the saw and he find the model number since I was typing it into google and it came up in the search.

We talka bit more and he tells me he has only run it briefly and he just put gas in it and it started up but then started to smoke and he shut it off. I ask him how long it ran he says maybe 10 seconds.

I tell him he needs to put 2 stroke oil in and he asks where... so he straight gassed it on first start up for a brief period of time.

I passed on the saw, although I might be able to trade him some stuff I can't use that I got for free for it.

Thoughts on the brief straight gassing?

Or just get the receipt from him and take it back where he got it and tell them it won't start and want to exchange it. Lowe's or Home Depot, can't remember which one sales it.

Steve

We talka bit more and he tells me he has only run it briefly and he just put gas in it and it started up but then started to smoke and he shut it off. I ask him how long it ran he says maybe 10 seconds.

If it was smoking then I would tend to think that's a good sign.
That's likely a lubricant that was used on assembly that was smoking.
Perhaps a quality 2 stroke oil?
If it was to happen then that would be the best scenario.
I believe it was infact Yamaha that came out with the jet ski/PWC that automatically shut the oil injectors off at idle for when they came into the populated beaches to cut down on all the smoke. I believe it was good for ten minutes max. Not sure if it would shut it's self off or had a beep and red light much like the liquid cooled snowmobiles for temps or would start sending oil again?
It was said to work very well though.
You would have to look at it though

my guess is that if it was smoking that it was burning off some of the protective oil that would have been on bare metal surfaces to protect them.

I also assume that the saw internals would have some lubrication on them as part of the assembly process so they wouldn't start running with out lube until the saw had had enough gas mix to go through it to provide lubrication.

The guy knew nothing about it needing premix and his only incentive to try to minimize the amount of time it ran was in relation to wanting the saw to be new to enhance it sale-ability.

Still on the fence about putting any more effort towards it.

Back