Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Training and safety are always good, and should be dished out in equal parts.
I believe things are different on your side of that big pond.
Whoops, I dropped my safety glasses lol.
I don't have this much experience yet :eek:.
View attachment 632484
The thing that impresses me most about that pic is he had to carry the 2nd ladder up the 1st ladder with him.

Here in the US, OSHA can fine employers for regulatory violations;
In Canada (or just Ontario?) employees can also get fined for violating health and safety regs, as I understand it?

The OSHA regulations allow for employees to be cited, but that section is not enforced, based on the presumption that the employer has control over the worksite.

"(a) Each employer --
(1) shall furnish to each of his employees employment and a place of employment which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to his employees;
(2) shall comply with occupational safety and health standards promulgated under this Act.
(b) Each employee shall comply with occupational safety and health standards and all rules, regulations, and orders issued pursuant to this Act which are applicable to his own actions and conduct."
OSHA General Duty Clause 29 USC 654 Section 5

Philbert
Yes everyone can get fined. Company, supervisor and employee. However, it’s relatively rare. The fines usually happen when the ministry of labor has repeatedly gone into places who aren’t making the best effort to comply with the act. Or in an instance where there has been an injury or death. We just had a surprise visit last week and the guy was really nice. He wrote us up for a couple things but no big deals and no mention of fines. In talking to the guy, he told me he had investigated 17 deaths in 13 years on the job. All preventable.

Do you guys also make Vaseline? A complimentary tub of that with every WRC purchase would at least dull the pain a little. I passed the cost onto customer and was very grateful I could keep the offcuts, which I have already laminated into two blanks for paddles. No way I could justify the cost of a cedar paddle otherwise.

View attachment 632467
Those are going to look real nice. Please keep us updated.

I have already laminated into two blanks for paddles. No way I could justify the cost of a cedar paddle otherwise.
Carved one of those many years ago from a single plank. Roughed it out on a band saw, and finished with a spoke shave. Quickly realized that laminating would be the better way to go.

Philbert

didn't get as much split as i wanted due to a sheep that wants to have lambs.( stihl waitin after all day) i did get some hickory split and stacked though. most was good but had a few punky pieces. it'll burn though. almost 3 buckets made the stack almost a 1/2 cord.20180213_122630.jpg 20180213_133630.jpg 20180213_140856.jpg 20180213_142608.jpg

American elm is completely unsplittable unless it has two years plus out in the elements.
I think I had some of that. The only way I could even get it to split was go the wrong way. Like split it parallel with the growth rings instead of 90 degrees like everything else.

Any yard or field edge/fence line tree can be a paint to split. Elm needs two years in the rounds stacked and then splits not bad with the splitter. Otherwise you can have a 35 ton splitter and it just mashes that woven mess into a hairy birds nest. Also Manitoba maple/box elder seems to grow like a cork screw.

Not firewood but it was cold enough for a fire. Scrounged some tickets back in August and finally the day came L.A. Kings vs Carolina Hurricanes the wife is a huge Kings fan and thought since we moved cross country she would never see them play again.KIMG1277.JPGKIMG1296.JPGKIMG1285.JPG

Latest posts

Back