Meaningless model numbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Can be frustrating to hear people talk about their saws and identify them with model numbers and if you are not familiar with that make and model, you have no idea what size the power head is. Wouldn't it be nice if manufacturers would give the displacement as part of the model number? Pioneer got it right with their P-series saws with model numbers of P-41,P-51,P-61. You know right away the saw is a pro series and has a displacement of 4,5 or 6 cubic inches.

The acres site is a big help. I've read a lot here and elsewhere and I still will occasionally do a "xxx specs" google search.

You are missing the point. I know with a quick search on the web, one can easily find info on most saws, what I'm trying to say is it would be nice to know by the model number what type of saw it is (consumer or pro) and what the displacement is WITHOUT resorting to the web.

If you get CAD really bad you will learn most brand displacements and details--lol--David--Right now I am working on jonsered 621,echo cs 590,stihl ms250 and homelite c5!!

This is mainly a self-inflicted problem as I'm one of those who doesn't carry a cell phone and if I run across a saw that I might be interested in, I would like to know what the displacement is, as that gives me a rough idea of the expected power. The owner is usually clueless, has lost the owners manual and the length of the bar doesn't mean anything.

If you are looking at stihl saws; the number is roughly the displacement in cubic inches.
Example 036,360,361 etc. is roughly 3.6 cu. in.

Seems to me like most mfgrs do this already? As said above stihl is close in terms of cu in. Husky is and always has been close in terms of cc’s. Modern echos and dolmars and solos all do as well? Mostly old saws are the ones im confused on, homelite comes to mind.

If you are looking at stihl saws; the number is roughly the displacement in cubic inches.
Example 036,360,361 etc. is roughly 3.6 cu. in.

My MS241 is 42cc, and well, that's it lol

Just carry a phone dude, it's 2018, even old farts using technology now lol I promise the camera won't suck out your soul.

As far as new saws, I get all the catalogs and go through them like an 80's kid with a Sears wish book at Christmas. Lol

Back