Last models?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Many of the top brands from yesteryear have gone away and I'm wondering who knows, or has models of their last production of "serious" saws. Easy to tell with Pioneer as it was their top P-series, 4,5 and 6 cubes (lucky if you have the 6). How about the 50cc Homelite 300 that was introduced in 1991 (I think)? By top brands I'm thinking McCulloch, Homelite, Poulan, Remington, Jonsered.
homelite 300.jpgpioneer collection.JPG

Many of the top brands from yesteryear have gone away and I'm wondering who knows, or has models of their last production of "serious" saws. Easy to tell with Pioneer as it was their top P-series, 4,5 and 6 cubes (lucky if you have the 6). How about the 50cc Homelite 300 that was introduced in 1991 (I think)? By top brands I'm thinking McCulloch, Homelite, Poulan, Remington, Jonsered.
The P65 was the pinnacle of Pioneer's reed valve big saws.. If you have one of those it's definitely an icon. Only lasted 1 year after Pioneer/Partner merge.
It's high power and good torque owed a lot to less than coincidental "similarities" with a particular Yamaha's 100cc motorcycle engine and I doubt the guys in Huron Park would have been given the resources to come up with a worthy successor on their own.

Love that 330 Pro, wonder how often it got accidentally shut off with the switch being on the handle.
Ive heard that question before. Ive used these saws for over 10 years I know ive never accidently shut one off. 2 simple reasons, one my hand never slides up from the trigger, two, "OFF" is up toward the carb. If someones hand did slide the switch is in the up and "on" position.

The Mexico McCulloch saws were still genuine McCulloch, just that the company was changing their focus towards consumer products. The headquarters was moved to Tucson and the assembly plant was in Hermosillo.

The PM8200 would have been one of the last professional saws by McCulloch saws. Mine is not really prime condition but does represent the end of the line.

DSC07102.JPG

DSC07103.JPG

DSC07104.JPG

DSC07105.JPG

DSC07107.JPG

DSC07108.JPG

Mark

Sachs Dolmar 166 for there largest displacement saw, Mcculloch SP125 king of the west coast for many years.
Homelite 3100G 114cc Geardrive only made for a couple years, Homelite 2100 last of the big frame pro saws.
Homelite 750 last of the big cube pro saws. Poulan 655BP one of the best 99cc saws ever built, Husqvarna 2100
hard to beat this saw, It was a hot rod from the start, Stihl 090G one powerful geardrive saw and add the 66mm
top end and you have a one of the best torque monsters out there. Remington Super 880 and Super 880 Geardrive
are the last of Remingtons big power houses. Alpina Pro 120 for Italian saws, Olympic 999F another 103cc Italian
saw.

The Mexico McCulloch saws were still genuine McCulloch, just that the company was changing their focus towards consumer products. The headquarters was moved to Tucson and the assembly plant was in Hermosillo.

The PM8200 would have been one of the last professional saws by McCulloch saws. Mine is not really prime condition but does represent the end of the line.

View attachment 882395

View attachment 882396

View attachment 882397

View attachment 882398

View attachment 882400

View attachment 882401

Mark
Great saw Mark. I thought my PM 800 was one of the very last real ones. Cant be many of those 8200 saws around

View attachment 882395

View attachment 882396

View attachment 882397

View attachment 882398

View attachment 882400

View attachment 882401

Mark
Great saw. Damn shame to have lost McCulloch, they made such good engines.

Jonsereds? You could argue the 910 was the last "true" Jonsered ....the 920-930 and forward were infused with other brand designs forge welded out of the electrolux buying frenzy and reorganizations.

View attachment 882395

View attachment 882396

View attachment 882397

View attachment 882398

View attachment 882400

View attachment 882401

Mark
Not in prime condition he says. Is the piston scored because cosmetics are at 98%

Latest posts

Back