Old vintage saws everywhere I looked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went to a sale today and picked up 6 saws. Didn't find but 2 saws I've been looking out for and picked up 4 more just because. I have been wanting a Poulan 306 OR 245 but nothing ever around here like that pops up, well today maybe my lucky day depending of course. No bars were included as I would have had to dig through more saws, tools, saws....stuff was everywhere and I was on my lunch break. Paid $120, essentially $20 per saw( except I paid 40 for the 306 and got the Skilsaw Poulan clone for nothing).
Anyway, it was hard digging to find what I did. I wanted to stick to what I know / have worked on. I got the blue craftsman 3.7 because my 3.7 is running a piece of cardboard for air cover and this cover looks great. I got the Homelite xl12 for no reason at all other than alot of folks on this site like them. I got the Mac 1010 because of BB Ray.
Anyway, I may go back. I pulled a couple of Jonsereds out and forgot to take pics of the model numbers but they look like 621's. I'm probably wrong but If I do go back I'll double check.
Gonna post some pics of the older stuff.6 SAWS 1.jpeg6 SAWS 2.jpeg6 SAWS.jpeg306 ID.jpeg

There are two Beaird-Poulan sandcast saws there, I think 32's. One has a bowbar on it. I'm kind of interested in both of those but I'm sure they think they are worth gold. Anyone have a recommended value on a sandcast? I've been on Ebay but not alot out there. One looks complete and in good shape.

There are two Beaird-Poulan sandcast saws there, I think 32's. One has a bowbar on it. I'm kind of interested in both of those but I'm sure they think they are worth gold. Anyone have a recommended value on a sandcast? I've been on Ebay but not alot out there. One looks complete and in good shape.
The bow could be worth more than the saw but I wouldn't know a dollar figure

The Mac 1010 and Homelite XL12 were both missing clutch side covers. I couldn't find them. There was another blue Homelite you can see one of the pics but I couldn't for the life of me get it to fit on the XL12 I picked out. For some reason it would not fit over the studs, I didn't think to look at the model on that one to see if it was the same or not, slap it on take it home and open up the stud holes a little bit.

Do you have the money and space to buy the whole lot? You could then sort through them at your leisure. Keep some and sell some.
I asked how much for every single chainsaw, bar, chain, chainsaw parts essentially locking the sheds off to everyone till I cleaned them out of saw related stuff. I'm talking all those two man jobs etc....
the estate manager later came back and said $8k. I was expecting closer to $5k and then I talk him into reality. All those giant vintage two man saws are probably going to take some time to find a buyer with a museum or man cave to display. When he said $8K, that sent me in another mindset.

I asked how much for every single chainsaw, bar, chain, chainsaw parts essentially locking the sheds off to everyone till I cleaned them out of saw related stuff. I'm talking all those two man jobs etc....
the estate manager later came back and said $8k. I was expecting closer to $5k and then I talk him into reality. All those giant vintage two man saws are probably going to take some time to find a buyer with a museum or man cave to display. When he said $8K, that sent me in another mindset.
I see interesting stuff but I don't see 8 grand unless there's an ass ton more that I don't see. The reason I got into the chainsaw hobby was because it's relatively cheap compared to most hobbies. There's only a select few saws that are worth big money and most of them don't interest me. I have a lot of cool saws and I don't have anything like 8 k tied up, plus most of them have helped heat my house over the years.

There’s a lot there, and mostly antique. I consider saws made before the XL 12 antique. So that’s the late 60s early 70s. The xl12, 10-10, 306 I’d call the first of the modern era saw that are a good weight, good power and chain speed to still use today. So those always sell either for firewood duty, display, or occasionally use. The big old David Bradley’s, reed prentice (my grandfather worked there when he came back from wwII) and the old Homelites, Poulans and macs are cool and great pieces of history but they don’t get the use of the other stuff. I don’t care what anyone says. Way more guys still use a 1977 HOMELITE SXL than an 1965 David Bradley. That price is way too high. They will wind up in a scrap yard and that would be a shame.

Latest posts

Back