Old vintage saws everywhere I looked

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So went back today taking a half day off at work, I was ready had a trusty LED light in hand, work gloves, credit card, some cash too...I was going deep into the back of those sheds and spend some money. I made up my mind to offer a couple hundred on a sandcast poulan. Got there and asked about the price on the sandcast Beaird-Poulan 32 with a bow bar......$550 bucks!!!. After I picked my nutz up outta my socks, I went to the shed for a brief cry and realize I was only going in for more junk. I tried to get some more pics and not only did my phone light turn off because my battery was low, but my LED light I brought was low on charge too. Nothing was going my way and I thought I was going to have a great day....lower the expectations even more.
Here's the Poulan 32SAWS19.jpeg

So went back today taking a half day off at work, I was ready had a trusty LED light in hand, work gloves, credit card, some cash too...I was going deep into the back of those sheds and spend some money. I made up my mind to offer a couple hundred on a sandcast poulan. Got there and asked about the price on the sandcast Beaird-Poulan 32 with a bow bar......$550 bucks!!!. After I picked my nutz up outta my socks, I went to the shed for a brief cry and realize I was only going in for more junk. I tried to get some more pics and not only did my phone light turn off because my battery was low, but my LED light I brought was low on charge too. Nothing was going my way and I thought I was going to have a great day....lower the expectations even more.
Here's the Poulan 32View attachment 936617
That Poulan is undoubtedly worth something but I would have to walk at $550. Personal opinion, that is double its value.

I'll post some more pics in case some find it interesting. So here's what I did while in those sheds, I'm thinking I'm gonna pull some saws that were missing covers and had dangleythings hanging off em for parts.

So I put in a pile, a Dayton 2z4671 missing covers and bar bent hanging off, a Mac Super 10-10 missing covers with dangleythings, ProMac 555 intact, 2 Jonsereds Grey top saws intact with no decals, a large Olympic full wrap intact, another craftsman 3.7 ps intact with great air cover, Homelite xl painted terribly but intact, Husq 32 tophandle intact, and about 10 random chainsaw bars nothing special mostly 16-18". So 7 intact saws and 2 basket case missing too many parts to call a saw saws and about 10 bars.....none of the saws came with a bar or chain. So I had my pile ready and the estate sales manager came by and said $500 bucks. So pull my nutz back outta my socks and ask what/how is he coming up with these numbers. A couple of the sales helpers were on there phones trying to find examples on EBAY and they were digging up saws that you could actually use with a bar/chain and it ran. These on this location were just take a gamble parts saws IMO. I tried to explain how much it would cost just put carb kits, fuel lines, missing pieces, soft rubber parts etc and then still would have to scrounge ebay for bars and chains....no dice. Ok, I put all back in the shed nicely and said too rich and dumb for me. I felt lucky I only delt with his sales helpers yesterday or I wouln't even had made that happen.SAWS20.jpegSAWS21.jpegSAWS22.jpeg

I would have bought that Eclipse just for no reason at all but with the prices being thrown around I didn't want to pick em outta my socks again.
So to end the day on a good note, stopped to get some gas at the 7/11 before getting out on the highway and noticed this middle age fella coming out of the store limping badly. He got around to where I could see he had just the one leg and metal for the . Felt bad for the guy and put my day right back into perspective thinking how easy it is for me to get around and this guy has it much tougher than I. Right when I'm feeling bad I wheel out and see his plates.....then I'm laughin b/c this guy's got a sense of humor!!!

Attachments

• SAWS47.jpeg
    SAWS47.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 64
Lots of big, heavy, old, slow saws. And a few descent ones. Only a collector would want those, if they found one and the price is too high. Leave your number, say you’ll pay over scrap value.

Thats the problem with dealing with people who think ebay is a credible price list and have 0 skin in the game. The sad part is that crap wont sell or it will take forever as their forced to start dropping prices or put it up as a no hold auction when it simply could be unloaded quick for cash.

Nothing that didn't look beat in those pictures or worth the asking price. Hell I could have bought that same sandcast for 200.00 Down by me last year !
When picking saws from piles I set a limit and sometimes give them my number to let them know after a year of not selling any saws they can call me.

Latest posts

Back