Winter Storage With MotoMix Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil171

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just another thing came to me that I would like to ask. Seeing as I got my new saw, I have a question regarding winter storage of it. It is a Stihl MS 171. So far, I have only run Stihl MotoMix in it. With winter approaching, I will be getting it ready for storage. My storage is an unheated shed out back. The main reason for asking is this is my first time using MotoMix, or any pre-mixed fuel. Is there anything I have to do, or watch out for with the tank full of it? The saw will not be used during the winter, it will come out to play in the spring. Just as another quick question. Is there anything else to do to a chainsaw before putting away in the lines of cleaning or oiling things and such. Thank you.

Sorry, just found on Stihl website that it says no issues storing with the fuel and to oil moving parts. The only thing that I do not have that they mention is the 'frost free' storage place as it again will be in an unheated shed.

All of my O P E is stored in my garage / shop. Not sure if this is proven or not, but a guy I know stores the powerhead to his chainsaw in a large styrofoam cooler.

He removes the bar / chain and keeps it in there during the winter. He swears that it doesn't draw any moisture that way. Kind of makes sense to me. He buys the cooler from Walmart for a couple of bucks. Lines the bottom with tin foil, just in case it might leak a little fuel or bar oil.

That might be the trick in an unheated environment.

Thank you. I guess to add to this what I forgot earlier, in case it makes a difference. I also have the Stihl hard case for the saw and it currently resides in it.

What they mean by “frost free storage” is to store in a place that is not fraught with temperature changes leading to excessive condensation. Obviously.

Put a cotton rag in that sawbox under the saw.

Some of you ‘mericans and winter...

Some cut in the summer......some cut in the winter. Some cut in the summer & winter. Whatever floats your boat.

None of my O P E gets stored with fuel in the tanks. Been doing that for as long as I can recall. Maybe like 55 yrs. or so. I've yet had to rebuild a carb.

I have had a few minor issues with corrosion due to temp. changes. Nothing serious though. Mostly condensation issues due to quick changes in the weather.

The Stihl carry / storage cases are find and dandy. But, they are not air tight or insulated. The styrofoam cooler idea was just a suggestion. One of these days, I'm going to give it a try myself and see how well it works. I am kind of curious.

Treat your fuel with a premium conditioner unless you use Stihl Ultra or Amsoil Sabre which have stabilizer . Run the saw for a few minutes , then drain your saw . Nothing else required . The proper cold storage would provide a stable dry environment to prevent corrosion . Come spring top up with fresh fuel and bar oil .

Treat your fuel with a premium conditioner unless you use Stihl Ultra or Amsoil Sabre which have stabilizer . Run the saw for a few minutes , then drain your saw . Nothing else required . The proper cold storage would provide a stable dry environment to prevent corrosion . Come spring top up with fresh fuel and bar oil .
Most modern mix oils have stabilizers.

Back