how often do you change your log splitter fuilds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hand written log book, write down your hours. I keep a log book for nearly everything. Change the fluids at mfg recomended intervals. I do oil changes at 50 hours (subaru) and spark plugs at 100 hrs. If the hydraulic oil looks bad when I change the filter I drain it and refill. But if you use the thing enough you never will get water in the hydraulic oil so I don't ever worry about that.

250-300hrs on oil, hydraulic filter and the 2 fuel filters.

Air cooled gas jobs, 50-75hrs on the oil.

Just put an hr meter on it, they aren't expensive.

Write the hrs when changed with a paint pen. On equipment I put a label in the cab when the next service is due as a reminder.

My splitter is shared between my brother and sister two uncles so a log book wouldn't work so I use a permanent marker the engine case has a date on it of its last oil change the hydraulic filter was dated when it went on I also do the same thing with my tractors oil filters

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

The twenty five year old Tecumseh motor burns the perfect amount so I never have to change it...just add a couple oz. after every tank! I did change the original plug for the first time this year, it should be good for another 25.

I changed the hyd. oil/ filter when I bought it fifteen years ago and other than a glance at the sight glass every time I start it I've never looked at it again.

Engine oil should be changed at decent intervals. For the homeowner at least yearly or sooner if it looks dirty.

My understanding for hydro fluid is that you replace the filter on an interval, add when necessary, change only if it looks dirty or if you suspect contamination.

I scratch the dates I changed oil on new oil filers. Thats just to tell me if I changed them this year or not. I like to change the engine oil every year, hyd oil I just top it off when ever it gets low. My splitter is kept in the dry when not in use so water in oil hasnt been a issue. Tanks full of fluid dont accumulate as much moisture as half full tanks.

hydraulic fluid - never (going on 16 years)

oil - every other splitting season

Changed the hydraulic fluid on my 9 yo splutter this spring, total waste of time and money, the fluid looked new. Now the engine oil is a different story, I change that about every 20 hours. Overkill maybe, but the case doesn't hold much oil and it only takes a few minutes.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I change my engine oil every 40-50 hrs. I put an hr meter on it. Use 5-30 synthetic. When I change it it's after I am done for the day so the oil is hot and runs all out, it only takes 3/4 of a quart. Hyd oil is changed every 300, filter every 100. I write on the filter with a paint pen. Air filter every 150 and I always keep it inside except for work. I fill it to max, just like an oil tank if you keep it half full all summer moisture will promote rot.

running same fluid since 1975 Dad never remembers adding any. just put a new motor on it this year running 5w30 syn.

damn, thought I was top dog until I read your post, got me beat by 3 years on the hydraulic fluid; helped a relative build it back in 1978; Dextron ATF used for the hydraulic fluid (splitter was a side job when work was slow in the gas station), no filter; 1970 10hp Tecumseh engine, still have that engine but replaced it several years ago with the Harbor Freight Honda knockoff, sits for months and still starts on a single pull, Tecumsech never did that, sad in a way. Pump came from a log skidder probably early 70's, it's worn out now and have a two stage ready to take it's place, plus a much newer valve; also converting from sheaves and belt to direct drive/flex coupling between motor and pump; since I'm tearing into it, gonna add a filter and change the fluid; 38 years is long enough.

Engine oil once a year over the 35 yr span of the engine. Hydro oil once in 30 yrs since a hose broke. My tank I assume has a crack in the bottom somewhere and lose about 1/2 gal per year. I just top it off at beginning of season. I have a Parker filter on it and the gauge still shows clean & the splitter workd great. I use Wally World ATF without any issues for 30 yrs.

I have a homemade splitter I built 20 years ago we normally run about 15 to 20 cords a year threw it. I should put a hour meter on it just to see how many hours a year we run it. It runs 30 gallons of hyd oil never has been changed. Motor is a twin Briggs. It was new when build happen. I run 20-50 W syn oil in motor. I change engine oil, filter and hyd filter every two years. Splitter is stored inside and is mostly run in the summer time. I have put one set of spark plugs in it. Motor doesn't use any oil in the two years between oil changes.

My homemade splitter holds almost 55 gallons of hydraulic oil so no way am I ever changing that. I pay $100 for a 5 gal pail for it. Engine oil changes about once a year in a Chinese engine. The Speeco engine has been changed maybe 5 times in 10 years. Speeco has never had hydraulic oil changed.

Latest posts

Back