how often do you change your log splitter fuilds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a used Iron and Oak Commercial splitter this year. I changed the hydro fluid last week with a transfer pump. Got 11 of the 16 gallons out. The fluid very dark and needed changing. Put in fresh AW-32 and a new filter. Motor oil get changed once a year with synthetic 10w/30. The old Speeco got about a 100 hrs/year on it with the same interval although this should be quite a bit less due to increased production.

Going to inspect the spider in the lovejoy this week.

ka4col.jpg

My homemade splitter holds almost 55 gallons of hydraulic oil so no way am I ever changing that. I pay $100 for a 5 gal pail for it. Engine oil changes about once a year in a Chinese engine. The Speeco engine has been changed maybe 5 times in 10 years. Speeco has never had hydraulic oil changed.

Where are you buying oil?!

We get it for about $45 a pail at Napa... and that's AK prices, so L48 I'm sure is cheaper.

Go through maybe 100-150 gallons a year on average.

I use the Universal hydraulic oil from Sams club in all my equipment it meets the specs for all the equipment I own they had a sale a while back and I pickup 6 five gallon pails for $38.00 each I think the regular price is forty something. I been using there oil for 15 or so years and it been fine. When I built my firewood processor a few years ago and needed 120 gallons of oil I check with a couple oil company's to see if I could find some in bulk for less per gallon and they were more than Sams in the pails so I just bought it from them when it was on special.

Choppy and NSMaple, I run a Kubota L35 TLB, it uses a common reservoir for the transmission and hydraulics so I have to run better oil. Kubota oil is $115 pail right now or I run Spirax and it's $119 right now. I run 32 in my Speeco and other stuff but anything that I have remotes on I run the TGH in it. I have extra outlets on my big splitter to run my dump trailer so I have to run TGH in it as I also use the dump with the tractor.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/det...sionid=TTgAAfUTBPmrxsVD71oVLcnO.pal-prod-com2

I changed the oil and filter in my Wallenstein splitter for the first time this past spring and I bought it new 10 years ago. I change the engine oil every year regardless of how many hours I put on it. However many hours it takes to split 12-15 cord of firewood is how many hours it gets a year!

Latest posts

Back