• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Honest Seller

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mt.Olive10

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I purchased an 034 super from Dan Newton and after 3 saw purchases on this site, I finally found an honest seller. Not to say that there are not more honest sellers on here, but it only takes a few to give a site a bad name. Dan sold me a saw that looked awesome and ran better than it looked. It takes an honest person to shoot straight, knowing that sometimes the guy you are dealing with will never see you. So this is a shout out to Dan and a plea to guys who don't want to shoot straight to take your business to Ebay!
And I know this thread may be out of place in the "Trading Post" but sellers like Dan deserve a shout out!

Good on ya letting everyone know, but being vague about your "bad" experiences and labeling the site because of it isn't doing anyone any good. You don't have to name names, but some details would be helpful.

I'm not into playing dirty pool, trust me, if I see the guy back on here who sold me that dead beat MS440, I'll sound the alarm. This post was not to label the site bad, because I'm still on here and still buying saws. This post was give a shout out to an honest person who still has a saw to sell and I wanted to give him his props. I was brought up to believe that every dog has his day, and a good dog will get two. I'm an honest person and just want to be treated the same.

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was labeling you. I guess I'm just curious more than anything. I'll buy things here from time to time. Would you share via PM?

Not being a smart-butt or anything, but seriously, I only replied to one other post on here that was not a PM and it was the saw!

I see. I had looked but it's hard to tell who completes transactions with all of the tire kickers. Who was the other one?

Wow! Thanks James. Was not expecting that. Much appreciated. My name is worth way more to me than a few hundred bucks for a chainsaw. There’s a lot a great people here but like you said it only takes 1 bad experience to put a sour taste in your mouth. Hope you enjoy the saw.

The seller posted the MS440 as great saw, just had carb gone through. Even showed pic with "a" saw having 150 psi compression. Paid the seller got the saw home, it crank once, running like crap. Needless to say after dropping it off at local Stihl dealer it had no compression. Well after a brand new meteor P/C and a new carb; all I still have is a saw that will run when you pour gas in the carb. The other was an 028 posted to be a great running saw. This saw was not near as bad as the other one but still had to put a new carb on it. Saw I purchased from Dan was just as he said! I put a bar on it, and that saw rips!

Did your Stihl dealer give you back the OEM cylinder? I’d be curious to see if it was even bad..... or if it just needed a new piston/rings

I bought the whole saw home. Put the meteor P/C on myself. From what I can see the OEM cylinder looks pretty good. I have it all in a box waiting on my turn in line with Tree Monkey. He tells me I'm about 2 months out!

The seller posted the MS440 as great saw, just had carb gone through. Even showed pic with "a" saw having 150 psi compression. Paid the seller got the saw home, it crank once, running like crap. Needless to say after dropping it off at local Stihl dealer it had no compression. Well after a brand new meteor P/C and a new carb; all I still have is a saw that will run when you pour gas in the carb. The other was an 028 posted to be a great running saw. This saw was not near as bad as the other one but still had to put a new carb on it. Saw I purchased from Dan was just as he said! I put a bar on it, and that saw rips!

This doesn’t make sense..... you paid a certified Stihl dealership/mechanic. They installed a brand new p/c, brand new carburetor and then gave you back a saw that you have to pour fuel into the cylinder to make it fire?

I bought the whole saw home. Put the meteor P/C on myself. From what I can see the OEM cylinder looks pretty good. I have it all in a box waiting on my turn in line with Tree Monkey. He tells me I'm about 2 months out!

Oh sorry- you answered as I hit send :) def send that OEM cylinder to treemonkey with the saw :)

I have changed everything on this saw but the seals. New carb, impulse, and fuel lines. I can pour gas in the carb and she fires right up. I'm through throwing money at it myself, I'm deep enough in, that I might as well make a real saw out of it. Total rebuild and port job!

I've already talked to him, he said he would not port that meteor cylinder. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, I maintain a fleet of 14 saws. Replaced P/C on an 038 but that is as deep as I had been in a saw before. Dog gone spring in the air filter sucked into the cylinder on that 038 so it was a no-brainer. Took the MS440 to the Stihl dealer just as a fail-safe because I saw pics of 150 psi. When he confirmed my suspicions, I started trying to make the saw right.

Back