Stihl MS250 Typical Lifespan, comparison to new version

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amin_1992

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys, got another question for you all. I've got a 16 year old Stihl MS250C I inherited from my dad. I really enjoy using the saw, it's got a wonderful patina to it, and it's honestly sentimental to me. But I've been noticing I'm constantly having issues with it, despite taking immaculate care of it.

I'm just wondering when to call it. Is 16 years beyond the typical lifespan? Or should I keep maintaining this and expect to keep it for decades to come? My dad didn't cut firewood and barely used it it's first 13 years of life - just used to cut brush, cut up fallen branches, maybe a few pieces of firewood here and there. Since I've gotten it I've bucked about 2 cords a year with it.

I know there are lots of professional model Stihls that might suit me better but I honestly love the MS250. I've learned it inside and out and I'm not super interested in learning another model. How does the 2022 MS250 compare to one made in 2005? I don't want to get a new one only for it to be more cheaply made, more plastic, etc.

Honestly 16 years isn’t that old for a saw. Ms250s are great saws, if you are handy and can work on them. What all has gone wrong with the saw exactly? doesn’t sound like it’s got much run time on it…. I can’t imagine new 250’s are much different than what you currently have. Personally I’d just fix it.

I got in a first year 025 that has wore the clamshell mounting area in plastic case. Would move around. Needed new case. He bought another saw instead.
Sold 025 for 30 to a friend and he put new case.

Original owner got many years out of that 025 (this was back in 2014). Think he said he bought it 1991.

IMO keep that older stuff going. Unless cost gets over the worth of saw.

s025crankcase 002.JPG

Thanks all, I'll keep going with this saw then! Curious when do you guys call it though, money wise? I think a new MS250 is around $400. To be honest, over the last year I've put on a new bar, chain, sprocket, fuel/oil caps, filters, clutch, carb and diaphragm, and tensioner devices. Probably have put around $200 into it already haha

Thanks all, I'll keep going with this saw then! Curious when do you guys call it though, money wise? I think a new MS250 is around $400. To be honest, over the last year I've put on a new bar, chain, sprocket, fuel/oil caps, filters, clutch, carb and diaphragm, and tensioner devices. Probably have put around $200 into it already haha

I think they go on sale for 299 around this time of the year. Or maybe it’s 329.

Most of that is normal stuff anyways to replace.

When I get in good used runners I sold them for 150. To me if they need p+c they are not worth it to me.
Most locals call it before that like that 025 needing the case swapped.

The MC250 is homeowner saw and definitely not built to the standards of the pro saws, and they get loose if you take them apart too much. My old man had one he used for years to build his house and cut wood, but it finally got to be constant small irritating problems and he got tired of it, so I went through it and sold it for him and got him a pair of 346xp’s to replace the Stihl and a Husky 340.

Nothing unusual on most any saw that age including pro grade that needs replaced.

The MS250 has been discontinued so if you can find a dealer that has them in stock I’d suggest buying a new one while you can. I bought one a few years ago and I can honestly say it’s one of my most used saws. It’s one of the best if not the best saw in its class offered by Stihl. Parts will be available for some time so it may be worth it to you to fix yours if your not able to find a new one.

It's an overpriced, cheaply built saw with lousy antivibe which can be troublesome to start because it's stupid hard to pull over for what it is. Far from the best in it's class, imo.

but it is light and handles good and has decent power and holds up ok overall. Somehow.

my dolmar 420 is twice the saw, fwiw. I imagine there's an echo or two that compares favourably and maybe a husky or two too..

It's an overpriced, cheaply built saw with lousy antivibe which can be troublesome to start because it's stupid hard to pull over for what it is. Far from the best in it's class, imo.

but it is light and handles good and has decent power and holds up ok overall. Somehow.

my dolmar 420 is twice the saw, fwiw. I imagine there's an echo or two that compares favourably and maybe a husky or two too..
It’s the best saw in it’s class that Stihl makes in my opinion. I don’t care for the 251 personally. Sure there are others on the market that are better. My MS250 has never given me any problems. I will say however, it’s not stock I’ve done a few things to it.

I think you are doing the right thing...for now.

I would suggest keeping an eye out for a local 026 or MS260. Maybe keep the 250 as a back up.

Roy

Keep the old saw going! Your $200 ahead of the game. If you purchase new you’ll eventually have to invest $ to keep it running
and operating top notch too! When would I throw in the towel on a Stihl chainsaw? Well if you’re capable of repairing the saw yourself then probably when sourcing parts new or used dried up or NLA. I personally wouldn’t put serious $ into any Stihl smaller than a 45cc ms250/025

The MS250 has been discontinued so if you can find a dealer that has them in stock I’d suggest buying a new one while you can. I bought one a few years ago and I can honestly say it’s one of my most used saws. It’s one of the best if not the best saw in its class offered by Stihl. Parts will be available for some time so it may be worth it to you to fix yours if your not able to find a new one.
MS250 discontinued??? This is January 2023 and they are still available at my local Ace hardware ( authorized Stihl dealer) and other local Stihl dealers in my area. But who knows I may be wrong! 😀. The ms250 is one of the most popular homeowner saws available from Stihl. I did hear from my Ace hardware that Stihl was discontinuing the ms170 and ms180 but have yet to confirm it.

Hey guys, got another question for you all. I've got a 16 year old Stihl MS250C I inherited from my dad. I really enjoy using the saw, it's got a wonderful patina to it, and it's honestly sentimental to me. But I've been noticing I'm constantly having issues with it, despite taking immaculate care of it.

I'm just wondering when to call it. Is 16 years beyond the typical lifespan? Or should I keep maintaining this and expect to keep it for decades to come? My dad didn't cut firewood and barely used it it's first 13 years of life - just used to cut brush, cut up fallen branches, maybe a few pieces of firewood here and there. Since I've gotten it I've bucked about 2 cords a year with it.

I know there are lots of professional model Stihls that might suit me better but I honestly love the MS250. I've learned it inside and out and I'm not super interested in learning another model. How does the 2022 MS250 compare to one made in 2005? I don't want to get a new one only for it to be more cheaply made, more plastic, etc.
I haven’t noticed much difference between the early ms 250 and current ms250 other than price of course and carburetors. Nearly all parts are interchangeable between the 025 and ms250. The early 025 two piece muffler is a good upgrade to the ms250 as well as the early carburetor without limiter caps.

Back