STIHL 075 IGNITION

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briguy26

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Looking for some experienced stihl gurus that can help with my 075 ignition problems NO SPARK. I have an 075 with the open donut trigger unit. I heard these go bad. Was wondering if I could bypass that trigger unit with a stihl 076 1303 coil. Basically any help would be appreciated. Thanks fellas20181215_112936.jpg 20181215_122440.jpg

Those do commonly fail, & should have been located out of the heat, from under the FW.

I’d just mount a Stihl 1118 400 1001 trigger to one of the coil bolts, as the flywheel/timing may be different for the integrated 1303 coil.

Assume you have already checked the primary & secondary coil windings, and they’re good to go. 1.0 ohm & 8.7k ohms are the values in the manual.

Lots of good info on the 075 ignition searches.

I,'ve used the newest coils that came on those saws which had no external modules or trigger units.....their just like a coil on any new saw. I have not mixed and matched new coils with old style flywheels. It's possible that the newest style coil will work on the oldest style flywheel.......never tested that idea. You should do it and let us know if it works!

The "all in one" coils will work on early or late 075's just fine. Ebay usually has OEM ones new, for $45.00

If new style coils are that cheap now, then it’s a good call to replace the old style coil.

Last time I checked, new OEM coils were well over $100, when you could find them. The
$45 must be aftermarket pricing.

If new style coils are that cheap now, then it’s a good call to replace the old style coil.

Last time I checked, new OEM coils were well over $100, when you could find them. The
$45 must be aftermarket pricing.
I agree I checked prices and all were over $100 for OEM. I dont buy aftermarket so maybe I'll wait for a used on to pop up.

Update on my 075, so instead of buying a new OEM coil for over $100 I bought one of those NOVA II chips for $15 dollars online. I installed it and trashed my trigger unit. Fueled it up and the saw fired right up. The saw has excellent strong blue spark now.

I've yet to run a nova 2 that would work on the 076 075 saws. They would initially fire and the timing would be way off. They are meant for the single magnet flywheel. The correct parts are cheap enough .

The aftermarket ignition chips will work on the points ignition and both types of donut ignitions. Anything that was originally housed under the flywheel on that series of saw. Both 1 and 2 prong types have to grounded properly etc.

If the wires are swapped neg for pos or if the ground strap or ground wire makes contact with metal parts weird stuff happens.

It runs great, idles consistently, throttled up to full power no problem. I hooked it up accordingly to the instructions and I'm confident when I get it in some wood it will run fine. :rock:

Back