McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to see some videos you two lucky buggers:) the drone looks like it will live again.

Yea I'm trying to suck in all the info I can learning is good for the brain.

Does the decomp valve have anything to do with age as in was it option later on. Was the 805 around at the same time as the 800 or was the 800 ended. Or is it a classic example of marketing and parts bins of what ever.

I doubt it was an option. Probably just a product update. I don’t know if the models overlapped except at introduction; never seen a sales brochure with more than one model at a time, but I don’t know.

Ron

me and my kiddo done some cutting im the rain today got tired of waiting on it to stop.wish i would,have gotten the mini 35 wearing out the top end dang it! we were soaked gage didnt want to stop[emoji16]thats my boy!!View attachment 693419View attachment 693420View attachment 693421View attachment 693422View attachment 693423View attachment 693424
c2256dda2d46177beba6a07b320ea017.jpg
7cdc077e0cd27c3bf0971dfbbf265e00.jpg

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Kevin, Some nice saws you have got there. It is always a good day when you have the kid with you. I know it sure is for me.

Brian

Kevin, Some nice saws you have got there. It is always a good day when you have the kid with you. I know it sure is for me.

Brian
thanks brian he loves em like i do and that's his double eagle and super 70..wouldnt go without him not as fun

Thanks for the invite Brian,but unfortunately I haven't been able to drive in over 25 yrs.due to an eye condition,I lost almost all of my peripheral field.But I still love to go out & cut wood,just stay out of my way!Lol As far as driving a tractor,well this old farm boy is a natural.I can most likely get on any old farm tractor,start it up & drive off to the nearest woodlot.If you don't give me the keys,that's OK,I'll just hot-wire it.Lol Just kidding on that one,I'd never steal a fellow farmer's tractor,it's akin to cattle rustlin',& we all know they used to hang thieves for that (maybe they still do).If I can ever find someone to take me down to visit you bfellas,I'm sure we'd have a blast.
Kevin,it's good to see a guy & his son have the same enthusiasm for cutting wood.My son likes to go out cutting with me too.I think my son was about 7 or 8 when he first started going out with me cutting,he's 24 now.That's bonding that'll last a lifetime! I don't think I've ever seen so many Macs lined up as what you have there in those pics,except for Mark maybe.Lol I've only got a few Macs running at this point,but I'm working on it.
Ed

Thanks for the invite Brian,but unfortunately I haven't been able to drive in over 25 yrs.due to an eye condition,I lost almost all of my peripheral field.But I still love to go out & cut wood,just stay out of my way!Lol As far as driving a tractor,well this old farm boy is a natural.I can most likely get on any old farm tractor,start it up & drive off to the nearest woodlot.If you don't give me the keys,that's OK,I'll just hot-wire it.Lol Just kidding on that one,I'd never steal a fellow farmer's tractor,it's akin to cattle rustlin',& we all know they used to hang thieves for that (maybe they still do).If I can ever find someone to take me down to visit you bfellas,I'm sure we'd have a blast.
Kevin,it's good to see a guy & his son have the same enthusiasm for cutting wood.My son likes to go out cutting with me too.I think my son was about 7 or 8 when he first started going out with me cutting,he's 24 now.That's bonding that'll last a lifetime! I don't think I've ever seen so many Macs lined up as what you have there in those pics,except for Mark maybe.Lol I've only got a few Macs running at this point,but I'm working on it.
Ed
thanks man i really appreciate you saying that he will run those things until he cant we took alot yesterday but left i few at home lol and i dont believe anyone has the stock mark has and we always take more than we should[emoji16]..sorry you cant drive id take ya to see those guys wouldnt mind hanging out with them myself they are guys

Nice saw. PM with your address and we can take care of that button. I bought a few spares after I broke one. Something tells me the green plastic is not as tough as the old black ones. Ron

Mighty nice of you, Ron. PM inbound.

Nice saw poge. When did the bump/ridge around the tank start? Mine doesn't have that

Thank you sir.

I've been rooting through IPL's and haven't come up with anything part number wise that even indicates a second tank assembly exists for the PM800 except what appears to be a convention change from the 5 digit to 6 digit scheme. That said, I simply figured they started using the new style when production began for the DE80, PM850 Super, and PM8200 which all appear to have the newer style tank as well, even though all the IPL's still use the black 94025 illustration with the exception of the DE80 IPL..., at least in the IPL's I have and as far as I've researched this. The 1987 DE80 IPL includes a different tank illustration with part number 215708 with the 1988 PM800 IPL using part number 215612. I think there may be a carb mounting difference between the two, but that's getting into Mark territory and I'll leave that to him to address if such is the case. The DE80 and PM8200 IPL's also appear to have the newer style tank represented on the cover illustration. I was thinking if they indeed started with the DE80 and migrated from there, I thought that would date the introduction of these tanks to around '87. Then I found a 1982 PM805 IPL with the new style tank on the cover photo, but a traditional 94025 part number listed. Go figure. As far as decomps, handle bars, and cover differences coming into play for identification and dating purposes, I'll certainly leave that to others with more experience in that area. I'm just going by the info at my disposal and a couple of online resources to compare IPL's..., which can be pretty frustrating when you discover the same exact IPL's are used for all models of most saws during their production run until they finally produce a Master IPL which attempts to provide more detail on the model variants across their production. I could probably spend all day on this, but just end up even more confused than I already am. Anyway, good eye, Jethro. Makes me think my PM800 is even cooler now than it was yesterday!

And after just now going through all the Brian and Ron and Kevin photos, (and vids), it looks like a good day in the Mac thread.

Mighty nice of you, Ron. PM inbound.

Thank you sir.

I've been rooting through IPL's and haven't come up with anything part number wise that even indicates a second tank assembly exists for the PM800 except what appears to be a convention change from the 5 digit to 6 digit scheme. That said, I simply figured they started using the new style when production began for the DE80, PM850 Super, and PM8200 which all appear to have the newer style tank as well, even though all the IPL's still use the black 94025 illustration with the exception of the DE80 IPL..., at least in the IPL's I have and as far as I've researched this. The 1987 DE80 IPL includes a different tank illustration with part number 215708 with the 1988 PM800 IPL using part number 215612. I think there may be a carb mounting difference between the two, but that's getting into Mark territory and I'll leave that to him to address if such is the case. The DE80 and PM8200 IPL's also appear to have the newer style tank represented on the cover illustration. I was thinking if they indeed started with the DE80 and migrated from there, I thought that would date the introduction of these tanks to around '87. Then I found a 1982 PM805 IPL with the new style tank on the cover photo, but a traditional 94025 part number listed. Go figure. As far as decomps, handle bars, and cover differences coming into play for identification and dating purposes, I'll certainly leave that to others with more experience in that area. I'm just going by the info at my disposal and a couple of online resources to compare IPL's..., which can be pretty frustrating when you discover the same exact IPL's are used for all models of most saws during their production run until they finally produce a Master IPL which attempts to provide more detail on the model variants across their production. I could probably spend all day on this, but just end up even more confused than I already am. Anyway, good eye, Jethro. Makes me think my PM800 is even cooler now than it was yesterday!

And after just now going through all the Brian and Ron and Kevin photos, (and vids), it looks like a good day in the Mac thread.
thats some good info my 800 has the newer tank on it but no id tag as far as what mac used on what i think they just used what ever was laying around cosmeticly as long as the heart was good..and yes sir looks like after all the pics and vids posted it was a full blown mac attack!

Good job on the digging poge. I wonder if there are any dsp equipped saws with the new tank around just to throw it all up in the air. I wish mine had a dsp its brutal to start sometimes. 1 day I'll test the compression but it seems very fresh still and was on its original bar and a heap of life left in that bar too

Hers another question for curiosity's sake and the de80 with its different intake and tank setup. Does the tank appear to have a different plug put in the conventional mold or are the de80s made from a whole new tank mold?

It would seem as though the band was added after a re tooling of the tank molds for the de80 or perhaps the older 800s were only using up the left over 850 stock.

Jethro, easy to add a DSP valve to you saw if you have the saw apart or if not, if you don’t mind the possibility of a few aluminum shavings in the cylinder. Remove the muffler strap bolt and drill a tiny hole (1/16” or so) in the center of the bolt hole. Replace the bolt with the valve and you are ready to go.

Ron

Jethro, easy to add a DSP valve to you saw if you have the saw apart or if not, if you don’t mind the possibility of a few aluminum shavings in the cylinder. Remove the muffler strap bolt and drill a tiny hole (1/16” or so) in the center of the bolt hole. Replace the bolt with the valve and you are ready to go.

Ron

Cheers Ron I understand the valve is hard to get due to the fine thread. It would certainly be a lot nicer on the starter assembly lucky for it it's a 1 or 3 pull starter.

Its had four tanks through it since the muffler swap and nothing has come loose yet no issues at all and can finally settle on a tune I'm happy with as its easyer to hear. So thanks for your advice on the loosening of bits or I'd be battling it too I made locking tabs where I could or spring washers and a dab of lock tight

Edit it's a coarse thread valve

If you put some grease on the drill bit before drilling you will catch the shavings in the grease. Thereby lowering the chance of them falling in the cylinder.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I don't know if I told you guys this,but there were a few of you who were involved with a post I made about 20 pages back about needing an air filter bracket for my 10-10.I do remember Pogo,Tim,& possibly Jethro being in on the post trying to help me figure out the correct AF bracket.Well lo & behold,I went to my local saw shop on Fri.to pick up an Eager Beaver for parts & found he had a couple of 10-10 LH start saws there (in pretty rough shape I might add),& on those saws were the AF brackets that I needed.One had a bent stud & I thought that in the process of trying to straighten it back to normal position that it'd probably break.I took my time with it & I was able to get it back to it's normal position & put it on the 10-10 that needed it.
I still haven't figured out which part # it is - 66681,or 68807.Now I'm sure that after I clean up the oil,grease,dirt,& birdie doo doo,I might be able to make another runner out of the two 10-10's put together to make one good saw.What would you folks recommend to clean up the saw that doesn't hurt the paint?
Ed

While looking for a sp81 parts saw I stumbled upon this. 10-10s with bow bar. Picked it up this morning. View attachment 693709

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nice saw. If you intend to use it, please put some guards on it and a chain brake. Kickback from a bow can take your hand off and/or kill you.

I assume you put together that NOS cylinder I sent your way. Around the same time I gave ChainsawmanXX a SP81E. I doubt he ever did anything with it as I never heard back from him - maybe he will pass it to you cheap if he still has it.

Ron

Cheers Ron I understand the valve is hard to get due to the fine thread. It would certainly be a lot nicer on the starter assembly lucky for it it's a 1 or 3 pull starter.

Its had four tanks through it since the muffler swap and nothing has come loose yet no issues at all and can finally settle on a tune I'm happy with as its easyer to hear. So thanks for your advice on the loosening of bits or I'd be battling it too I made locking tabs where I could or spring washers and a dab of lock tight

Edit it's a coarse thread valve

Pretty pricey. https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-McCull...=item284f09818f:g:ePgAAOSwmNxabNzZ:rk:14:pf:0

I usually pay 1/2 that amount. Last one I watched had to be relisted before it sold with one bid at $17.95 plus shipping a few weeks ago.

Ron

Happy New Year guys! I've got an Eager Beaver 2014 that I picked up on Fri.for $20.I put new fuel lines & a primer bulb in it earlier today & it runs fantastic.The only other problem is that the auto oiler isn't working.The oil that was in it was way too heavy (I always cut mine with kerosene to thin it a bit,I've had too many oilers go bad due to the oil being too heavy) I was looking at some IPL's for the newer "Mac" saws.It looks like they all had worm gear oil pumps.How are the oil pumps accessed?
Ed

Back