Best 50 cc saw available?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’m looking at new saws, the 341 stihl kinda has my eye, but I’m open to other options. The dealer says it will pull a 20” bar just fine, that always seems questionable to me. It seems pretty light. I’m basically looking for a good limb saw that will pull a 20” bar in a pinch without burning up. I have owned and ran a couple of Husqvarna saws, at least the homeowner grade versions, I like stihls chain, bar and oiling system a lot better because it seems tougher and the bar thicker. I like the Husqvarna engines. I’ve never ran the dolkitas or echo, but Makita looks like they have a good option with a metal case and handle.

I’m looking at new saws, the 341 stihl kinda has my eye, but I’m open to other options. The dealer says it will pull a 20” bar just fine, that always seems questionable to me. It seems pretty light. I’m basically looking for a good limb saw that will pull a 20” bar in a pinch without burning up. I have owned and ran a couple of Husqvarna saws, at least the homeowner grade versions, I like stihls chain, bar and oiling system a lot better because it seems tougher and the bar thicker. I like the Husqvarna engines. I’ve never ran the dolkitas or echo, but Makita looks like they have a good option with a metal case and handle.
I like the idea of a 60 cc saw but not for limbing. Need something light.

Echo CS-501P is probably the lightest.

Stihl MS-261CM might have the best engine. Though some might argue the heavier 50cc Dolkita takes that prize.

I think all these saws also have captive bar nuts. And while they probably balance and turn an 18" better, they should all be able to run a 20" acceptably.

Then there's the much loved 42cc Stihl MS-241. And the nearly as light 45cc clamshell model MS-250.

And some might gravitate to an old 54cc Poulan 3300.
Or the old Husky 346 and Stihl 026 are still popular among purists.

I got an Echo CS-490 at a wholesale price, with 20" bar. Then bought a two year old red version of the same saw, Shindaiwa 491s (18"), for well under half of new retail. They both run real well.

Then got a real nice 20 year old, Made in U.S.A., not too much heavier, 60cc Poulan 3500 Timbermaster for just under fifty that might just replace the two 10.6 pound 50's.
20190219_185959.jpg

Echo CS-501P is probably the lightest.

Stihl MS-261CM might have the best engine. Though some might argue the heavier 50cc Dolkita takes that prize.

I think all these saws also have captive bar nuts. And while they probably balance and turn an 18" better, they should all be able to run a 20" acceptably.

Then there's the much loved 42cc Stihl MS-241. And the nearly as light 45cc clamshell model MS-250.

And some might gravitate to an old 54cc Poulan 3300.
Or the old Husky 346 and Stihl 026 are still popular among purists.

I got an Echo CS-490 at a wholesale price, with 20" bar. Then bought a two year old red version of the same saw, Shindaiwa 491s (18"), for well under half of new retail. They both run real well.

Then got a real nice 20 year old, Made in U.S.A., not too much heavier, 60cc Poulan 3500 Timbermaster for just under fifty that might just replace the two 10.6 pound 50's.
View attachment 726846
If your talking older saws, there no better value on a firewood saw than the 350 Husky, and it’ll easily pull a 20” bar!

I got a 550 xp I just got done with this morning the guy who owned it had a 24 in total bar with 3/8 full skip on it when I picked it up I have 400 with a brand new top end on it OEM p/c I'll let it go how it sits with his bar and chain on it bar looks to be brand new chain is on its first file
eda8cb776c7927100da114c706030b22.jpg
4d454950473d1d6eda5238bdce4d30d1.jpg
9427864d62591fada639f6550a546db2.jpg
3fb1a7a2ce175165d345ce2699708971.jpg
8cbb7eb7ad79445440690d10121c1231.jpg
a6c4802a462d9bedf07034fa83fc1b78.jpg
7a58da72e6153d9682d9e00888d0e576.jpg
69e05186bcd0c997e22bf1f11699872f.jpg
7171a500b6f129a2b77019b550bc4476.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’m not buying another used saw if I can help it, tired of Inheriting other people’s problems. I’m kind of leery about the bars on some Husqvarnas. Don’t the pro grade saws and homeowner saws use the same bar you can buy at Lowe’s?

Lowe's sells Husqvarna OEM Bars and Chains, just like the Husky saws sold at Lowes, there is NO DIFFERENCE between them and the same model bought at a dealer, same part#'s, SAME PARTS, have you had problems with Husky Bars?

I have Husky OEM B&C's in 13, 16 and 18" for the Wife's 445 and my 353, I haven't had any problems with them, what problems have you HAD?

For some reason some people seem to THINK that there is a difference between a Husqvarna bought at Lowe's and a Husqvarna bought at a Dealer, if it is the same model# it is the SAME ITEM, I don't know of anything that Husky builds exclusively for Lowe's, that is different from what is sold anywhere else.

But yet, That MYTH persists :confused::(:angry::dumb2::buttkick:

Doug :cheers:

I’m not buying another used saw if I can help it, tired of Inheriting other people’s problems. I’m kind of leery about the bars on some Husqvarnas. Don’t the pro grade saws and homeowner saws use the same bar you can buy at Lowe’s?
I own a saw shop and sell used saws daily.. that's why I said it has a new top end so when I sell it it wont return the saw tested fine but I saw a decrease of 8 psi in compression so it got a new OEM top end ...I have never bought a saw and flipped it without a complete vac/ pressure test. Along with my 22 years experience I'm sure as the 100's of others I have built and sold. it will run just as long if not longer then as u would get from new.. I do have new saws too I really am getting pulled from my echos with these 550 xp's I love seeing the history when I plug it in it tells alot

If your talking older saws, there no better value on a firewood saw than the 350 Husky, and it’ll easily pull a 20” bar!

I haven't owned or run a 350, but my 353 has sure convinced me of the value of a 50cc class saw, I think that the 353 is one of Husqvarna's Best Kept Secrets, it's a shame that they're not stihl in production, Dayum Handy little saws.

I haven't owned or run a 350, but my 353 has sure convinced me of the value of a 50cc class saw, I think that the 353 is one of Husqvarna's Best Kept Secrets, it's a shame that they're not stihl in production, Dayum Handy little saws.

They 353 is the mag case version of the 350, same topend! The 350 is lighter because of the plastic case, and they sold a sh!t load of em! I’ve built a few of the 350’s with the 346 OEM top end on em, they’re the bomb!

Lowe's sells Husqvarna OEM Bars and Chains, just like the Husky saws sold at Lowes, there is NO DIFFERENCE between them and the same model bought at a dealer, same part#'s, SAME PARTS, have you had problems with Husky Bars?

I have Husky OEM B&C's in 13, 16 and 18" for the Wife's 445 and my 353, I haven't had any problems with them, what problems have you HAD?

For some reason some people seem to THINK that there is a difference between a Husqvarna bought at Lowe's and a Husqvarna bought at a Dealer, if it is the same model# it is the SAME ITEM, I don't know of anything that Husky builds exclusively for Lowe's, that is different from what is sold anywhere else.

But yet, That MYTH persists :confused::(:angry::dumb2::buttkick:

There is a differance! usually a savings in money lol... one day on the ups truck I saw two husqvarna 455 boxed up and asked who ordered them @ here thinking there was a shop close dealer I didn't know about he said oh the lowes in town we get there special orders some times...you are spot on husky man with that no differance I see and fix lowes saws as mine same part # @Husky Man

Latest posts

Back