Simonized ms 460 test results.....it rips!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a long time since mid April, for those that don't remember the Simonizer was called out for not having enough evidence posted to support his claims of being able to build a saw that rips. Now must of us would think a guy with a mechanical engineering degree could build a saw, but most us had the attitude of show us the money.....put up or shut up. Simon volunteered to do a saw for free, only charge was parts, shipping, duty fees. It was a comedy of errors on my end with the postal service and then after he finished the Canadian postal service went on strike for a few weeks. In that time he built a 372xp that took fourthin the Tenn. work saw build off hosted by Terry. All who ran it where impressed.

Well the MS 460 arrived today. It is 100 degrees outside, the humidity is over 90%, wonderful conditions to run a chainsaw.

First of all I apologize for the video work, this was my helper's first attempt at videoing anything. I had trouble downloading video that was shot in April, I have many more clips but am having trouble getting them to down load, so there is only a couple of cuts pre-modding. I'll get it figured out an post more as I can.

Stock 460 video YouTube - ‪New Project‬‏

SIMONIZED 460

The Simonized 460 rips. It takes me forever to download video as I'm on satellite internet. I took the average video and posted it, cut time were 23 secs, 25 secs, 26 secs, 26 secs and 29 secs.
A 26 second vid is posted, also one that shows noodling and one cut close to the butt.
The wood was seasoned ash. It is as hard as woodpecker lips, you can hear chain chatter. Both the before and after were cut with brand new out of the box Stihl RSC. It is the very same log that was cut in April, it has just seasoned that much more.

I calculated a 39.5%increase in performance. The saw is much stronger than when it left. I have no doubt that it would eat a stock 660 alive. What I find most impressive is how quick this saw spools up now, it's trigger response is as good as a 346xp. I'm going to pass this saw off to a cousin that logs everyday and get his impression.
This saw was warmed up for about 2 minutes and went straight to the wood, I'm sure it will get a little stronger.
Bottom line, I think anyone would be happy with a saw that is Simonized. For any that still have doubts, well if your ever in my neck of the woods your more than welcome to run it all you want to, that's about all I can offer.

Simonized 460 videos
YouTube - ‪stihl 460 26 seconds‬‏
YouTube - ‪460 noodling‬‏
YouTube - ‪460 in seasoned ash‬‏

I'll get better video's this weekend. It is supposed to cool down and I'll give my helper a tripod to use.lol

First of all thanks to Simon, he did a hell of a job! Thanks to many other's for being patient. I'm going looking for Hedgerow's new 7900.lol He hasn't modded it yet. It'll be fun to compare it to Stump's 372 at the next gtg. Now the big deal will be settling who runs this saw this fall, they'll all want to.
Thanks again Doug. We are all hoping you are ok.

Simonised MS460's

Just been reading this thread. I would like to chime in. I am 47 years old and have been a proffessional faller for 25 years. I work on a crew of three who between us have 70 years of falling experience. We are coastal fallers and have worked on every type of ground and size, species of trees. I have fell cedar up to 14 feet and spruce up to 12. The older guy on the crew has fell bigger. I have used many modified saws. I can say that Simons MS460 is what I run now. I bought 1 last year and quickly bought a second. Dave one of the other fallers tried one and immediately bought 2. We are both buying a third each right now. His son just bought one and is now buying a second. We run 3/8 cj Oregon chain with 32 inch bars. We all own the silvey pro sharp grinders. With this combo we cut trees up to 8-9 feet no problem. The saw is run 6.5 hrs a day and we usually change up around 100 to 150 days. We do the same for our unmodified saws too. So the saws run strong, cut well and last. Can't ask for anything more in a work saw. They match up perfectly with a lightweight 32 inch bar. Feel almost like a toy.

Since I brought the first one in I have through word of mouth moved around maybe 10. The saw shop here dumped the other modded saws and now get the Simons.

Just been reading this thread. I would like to chime in. I am 47 years old and have been a proffessional faller for 25 years. I work on a crew of three who between us have 70 years of falling experience. We are coastal fallers and have worked on every type of ground and size, species of trees. I have fell cedar up to 14 feet and spruce up to 12. The older guy on the crew has fell bigger. I have used many modified saws. I can say that Simons MS460 is what I run now. I bought 1 last year and quickly bought a second. Dave one of the other fallers tried one and immediately bought 2. We are both buying a third each right now. His son just bought one and is now buying a second. We run 3/8 cj Oregon chain with 32 inch bars. We all own the silvey pro sharp grinders. With this combo we cut trees up to 8-9 feet no problem. The saw is run 6.5 hrs a day and we usually change up around 100 to 150 days. We do the same for our unmodified saws too. So the saws run strong, cut well and last. Can't ask for anything more in a work saw. They match up perfectly with a lightweight 32 inch bar. Feel almost like a toy.

Since I brought the first one in I have through word of mouth moved around maybe 10. The saw shop here dumped the other modded saws and now get the Simons.
Hey buddy, I will let you know when your saw arrives. It usually takes 8-10 days from your island depending on the ferry schedule etc. Happy Sunday.

I remember running the 372xp Simon built for the build off at Terry's. It was a heck of a runner. Simon builds a really good 372.

Simon, have you been able to contact Indiansprings? I can't help but fear the worst after not hearing from him for so long.

Last edited:
I remember running the 372xp Simon built for the build off at Terry's. It was a heck of a runner. Simon builds a really good 372.

Simon, have you been able to contact Indiansprings? I can't help but fear the worst after not hearing from him for so long.
I have tried to no avail. I had a phonecall from Metals406 this morning and we were equally concerned. I hope he is Ok and will continue to try his phone. Doug is a super nice guy, I will post the minute I hear anything Anthony.

It's been a long time since mid April, for those that don't remember the Simonizer was called out for not having enough evidence posted to support his claims of being able to build a saw that rips. Now must of us would think a guy with a mechanical engineering degree could build a saw, but most us had the attitude of show us the money.....put up or shut up. Simon volunteered to do a saw for free, only charge was parts, shipping, duty fees. It was a comedy of errors on my end with the postal service and then after he finished the Canadian postal service went on strike for a few weeks. In that time he built a 372xp that took fourthin the Tenn. work saw build off hosted by Terry. All who ran it where impressed.

Well the MS 460 arrived today. It is 100 degrees outside, the humidity is over 90%, wonderful conditions to run a chainsaw.

First of all I apologize for the video work, this was my helper's first attempt at videoing anything. I had trouble downloading video that was shot in April, I have many more clips but am having trouble getting them to down load, so there is only a couple of cuts pre-modding. I'll get it figured out an post more as I can.

Stock 460 video YouTube - ‪New Project‬‏

SIMONIZED 460

The Simonized 460 rips. It takes me forever to download video as I'm on satellite internet. I took the average video and posted it, cut time were 23 secs, 25 secs, 26 secs, 26 secs and 29 secs.
A 26 second vid is posted, also one that shows noodling and one cut close to the butt.
The wood was seasoned ash. It is as hard as woodpecker lips, you can hear chain chatter. Both the before and after were cut with brand new out of the box Stihl RSC. It is the very same log that was cut in April, it has just seasoned that much more.

I calculated a 39.5%increase in performance. The saw is much stronger than when it left. I have no doubt that it would eat a stock 660 alive. What I find most impressive is how quick this saw spools up now, it's trigger response is as good as a 346xp. I'm going to pass this saw off to a cousin that logs everyday and get his impression.
This saw was warmed up for about 2 minutes and went straight to the wood, I'm sure it will get a little stronger.
Bottom line, I think anyone would be happy with a saw that is Simonized. For any that still have doubts, well if your ever in my neck of the woods your more than welcome to run it all you want to, that's about all I can offer.

Simonized 460 videos
YouTube - ‪stihl 460 26 seconds‬‏
YouTube - ‪460 noodling‬‏
YouTube - ‪460 in seasoned ash‬‏

I'll get better video's this weekend. It is supposed to cool down and I'll give my helper a tripod to use.lol

First of all thanks to Simon, he did a hell of a job! Thanks to many other's for being patient. I'm going looking for Hedgerow's new 7900.lol He hasn't modded it yet. It'll be fun to compare it to Stump's 372 at the next gtg. Now the big deal will be settling who runs this saw this fall, they'll all want to.
My 460 runs better

Back