Best limbing saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either this one or the 009L. Preferably this one. Dual triggers. Good positioning for either one or two hand use. Dirt cheap. Dont hate.:numberone::);):rock:0320191921_HDR.jpg

I like my 261 v2 better than the 550xp i had. Both are good saws but limbing goes to the 550xp because of the revboost it winds up faster.
261 is like NASCAR and the 550xp is like an Indy car
Not me, but I prefer the huskys usually. Nice stihl go the handlebar angle a little better on the 261. I still like the handling of my 2016 550 better than my 261 v2. Wait so are you saying the husky will beat the stihl all around :).

Sorry, all my Huskys are in boxes needing major rebuilds. (Got em that way)
Only Stihl was a "junk" saw from the dealer years ago. Still go in after a good cleaning and some fuel lines, so theres that.
All other Stihls I look at seem to have a high precious metal content. Dunno, cant tell with all the plastic covering it....

If i could buy a saw JUST for limbing and if i was ok with auto tune it would be a 550XP.

But since i dont want auto tune that much id pick up my 385 for now.

But when my never used Makita 6100 gets sent out for porting.....THAT sexy thing will be my lightweight limbing saw. [emoji41][emoji41]

So..... i say an adjustable carb “PRO” saw like the Makita 6100 would be perfect.
[emoji23][emoji23]
c6ba6425a583cec9fd83b9fd4b657ef0.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
That's a pretty saw.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

That's a pretty saw.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Being I’m not in a race to get the tree cut up and limbed i’m going to use a saw that I have the most fun using[emoji41]. Even if it wears me out a bit early I’ll just take a 10 minute break for the sake of fun

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Either one of these would do both fairly well modded.

It's hard to choose between them.

View attachment 761481

That's not hard for me at all.
Stihl 241 for work, then the 550, then a 70cc saw.
For firewooding I like the 346, then a 70cc saw.
The options on the 241, are what make it a great work saw and get more efficiency per cut, the 550 is the same which is why I choose it over the 346 for work.
When I'm not as concerned with production I'd pick up the 346, stihl one of my favorites.
I've quickly come to love my 201c rear-handle version. Very light and handy, and does nicely with a 16" bar. Great for limbing and even small bucking.
I enjoy mine also, but a 16", maybe for reach, but it seems like it would loose a bit of torque.

I enjoy mine also, but a 16", maybe for reach, but it seems like it would loose a bit of torque.

I can't say wanting for torque has been an issue for me. Then again, if I'm cutting anything bigger than 6 or 7", especially if bucking, I will usually switch off to my 362c.

I can't say wanting for torque has been an issue for me. Then again, if I'm cutting anything bigger than 6 or 7", especially if bucking, I will usually switch off to my 362c.
I ran a tank thru the ms201c, rear handle today as well as one thru a 346, got a lot done, but when I go back I'll have a couple 70cc saws with me:chainsaw:.
The 543 is a good saw but way over priced.
Compared to what, the mag cased saws that compare aren't exactly cheap :envy:. Shame they discontinued the 241, and that's coming from a big husky fan.
I guess you could buy a 4300, but it's not the same.

I ran a tank thru the ms201c, rear handle today as well as one thru a 346, got a lot done, but when I go back I'll have a couple 70cc saws with me:chainsaw:.

A few weekends back, I helped a buddy clean up his treeline. He had lots of scrubby brush type stuff starting to grow into his yard that had accumulated over the years, and in that mix there were a lot of small, junk trees that were just a bit too big for the brush cutter. By the end of the day we were practically fighting over who got to use the 201c rear handle - it was a real rock star for that sort of stuff.

A few weekends back, I helped a buddy clean up his treeline. He had lots of scrubby brush type stuff starting to grow into his yard that had accumulated over the years, and in that mix there were a lot of small, junk trees that were just a bit too big for the brush cutter. By the end of the day we were practically fighting over who got to use the 201c rear handle - it was a real rock star for that sort of stuff.
I like mine a lot, I have 2. I use them quite a bit for invasive jobs, they have a lot of smaller branches. One day I forgot mine and the next smallest saw was the 241, I was hurting when I went home that night, lots of cuts and much overhead :eek:. Needless to say the next day I didn't forget one :laugh:.

I like mine a lot, I have 2. I use them quite a bit for invasive jobs, they have a lot of smaller branches. One day I forgot mine and the next smallest saw was the 241, I was hurting when I went home that night, lots of cuts and many overhead :eek:. Needless to say the next day I didn't forget one :laugh:.

Ooof! Lesson learned! Amazing how much a difference just a 2-3 pounds can make!

Latest posts

Back