Best limbing saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooof! Lesson learned! Amazing how much a difference just a 2-3 pounds can make!
At the end of the day when I'm about done I grab a smaller saw and managed to get a little more done, 2-3 lbs can make a difference many can't understand because they haven't experienced it, that or they're not old enough yet :innocent:.

Ain't that the truth! Once my behind starts dragging toward the end of the day, I'm going for the small saw or sizing up what can be left until the next work day.

It's a bit funny - the salesman who sold me my 201c, rear handle didn't understand why I wanted it when I could have had a 250 for much less. He tried twice to talk me into the 250. I tried explaining how those extra ounces and pounds add up by the end of the day, but all I got was the polite smile and nod. I guess weight must not be as much of a bother to others, but I sure put a premium on it.

Ain't that the truth! Once my behind starts dragging toward the end of the day, I'm going for the small saw or sizing up what can be left until the next work day.

It's a bit funny - the salesman who sold me my 201c, rear handle didn't understand why I wanted it when I could have had a 250 for much less. He tried twice to talk me into the 250. I tried explaining how those extra ounces and pounds add up by the end of the day, but all I got was the polite smile and nod. I guess weight must not be as much of a bother to others, but I sure put a premium on it.
Right sized saw for the job, kinda like the right socket or ratchet for the job.
If you're making money with it what's a few hundred extra, can't be tripping on dollars to pick up dimes.
For a guy who's only cutting a few weekends out of the yr or trying to save a buck or two by burning wood, that changes things, just buy something decent quality that you can afford.

Right sized saw for the job, kinda like the right socket or ratchet for the job.
If you're making money with it what's a few hundred extra, can't be tripping on dollars to pick up dimes.
For a guy who's only cutting a few weekends out of the yr or trying to save a buck or two by burning wood, that changes things, just buy something decent quality that you can afford.

I'm the weekend warrior sort with CAD. Plenty of saws would have been fine for me, but I'm a big fan of "right took for the right job." Shoot - I'll have no real need for a 500i, but I won't let that stop me from getting one. :)

MS241 is still available new in canada. The ones I've seen are made in Germany.
Thats good to know. I've got a ported one, and have had a few stockers, great saws. I prefer the later model ones as they have the return to run on the master control lever/switch, its nice to pick the saw up and let the cord rip.
If you want another you better grab one up now.

I'm the weekend warrior sort with CAD. Plenty of saws would have been fine for me, but I'm a big fan of "right took for the right job." Shoot - I'll have no real need for a 500i, but I won't let that stop me from getting one. :)
I call that a hobbyist.
I'm good with all that as long as the guy isnt trying to justify a purchase, just say I wanted it and I bought it :numberone:. Plenty of things you can blow cash on, at least the saw will help you and others out, and if you burn wood it could help save a few bucks in the long run. You can only imagine how much money I've spent so I can save a few bucks:laughing:.

I ran a tank thru the ms201c, rear handle today as well as one thru a 346, got a lot done, but when I go back I'll have a couple 70cc saws with me:chainsaw:.

Compared to what, the mag cased saws that compare aren't exactly cheap :envy:. Shame they discontinued the 241, and that's coming from a big husky fan.
I guess you could buy a 4300, but it's not the same.

You can buy an echo 501p or a 4300 160$ less. When the gz4500 sold for 385 then the gz4350/543xp replaced it.

Thats good to know. I've got a ported one, and have had a few stockers, great saws. I prefer the later model ones as they have the return to run on the master control lever/switch, its nice to pick the saw up and let the cord rip.
If you want another you better grab one up now.
They just started bringing them back in july. I asked about one in may, and they weren't in the computer. In july, I was in a store, and they had one on the shelf. I asked, and they said that stihl had just started bringing them to Canada again. I don't think they'll stop for a few years at least. They're 709 Kanukistanese Kopecs on the shelf.

Either this one or the 009L. Preferably this one. Dual triggers. Good positioning for either one or two hand use. Dirt cheap. Dont hate.:numberone::);):rock:View attachment 761417
Can you explain the dual triggers? I saw axemen for the first time and that Buckin Billy guy was going crazy over some dual trigger saw. Does it just allow you to run it with your hand in two different positions, or do both have to be pressed for it to run as some type of safety feature?

My go to saw is my Husqvarna 450, which for some reason doesn't get much love or mention on this site, but it always starts, the chain never seems to dull on me, it's not too heavy but feels quality. I Run mine with an 18"bar and it has no problem cutting. I keep it mounted to my 4 wheeler as it is always the first saw I grab when out on the farm.

My go to saw is my Husqvarna 450, which for some reason doesn't get much love or mention on this site, but it always starts, the chain never seems to dull on me, it's not too heavy but feels quality. I Run mine with an 18"bar and it has no problem cutting. I keep it mounted to my 4 wheeler as it is always the first saw I grab when out on the farm.
You are correct, 450 is a great saw.

For a while around here, anyone who did not buy a pro saw would be ridiculed by a few folks. I am definitely glad that mantra has passed!

From what echo says 10.4lbs. Then there's the lonely Tanaka cs40ea at 9.7lbs and 2hp.
I've never ran the Tanakas. Personally I stay away from them as there is no resale on them and I'm not certain parts will be readily available, the good thing is you're not paying much for them. At nearing 10lbs and only 2hp that's also a pretty fat saw, my rear handle 201 is more power at 8.6lbs as is the 200 rear handle, but if your on a budget you gotta do what you gotta do.
I've been a proponent of the 450 for a long time. It's right around 11 lbs with 3.2hp iirc, which is the almost the same specs as the 353. I also like that they have the clips on the top cover for easier removal, I believe that leads to the filter getting cleaned more often. Another great thing about them now is they come with flippy caps :happy:.
An ms290 or a 455 is all the saw many will need.
You are correct, 450 is a great saw.

For a while around here, anyone who did not buy a pro saw would be ridiculed by a few folks. I am definitely glad that mantra has passed!
Don't you know you can't cut firewood without a pro saw:buttkick::laughing:. I cut all my wood for 3 yrs with a 142 husky (poulan in an orange wrapper) like yours, but mine didn't have that big ole muffler mod:lol:. But then I got a 346 and figured out what all the hype was about :D.

They just started bringing them back in july. I asked about one in may, and they weren't in the computer. In july, I was in a store, and they had one on the shelf. I asked, and they said that stihl had just started bringing them to Canada again. I don't think they'll stop for a few years at least. They're 709 Kanukistanese Kopecs on the shelf.
Interesting, wonder if thats the case here too. Probably not since for 50 more you got the 261 which is a great saw, but it doesn't quite fit the same niche.

I've never ran the Tanakas. Personally I stay away from them as there is no resale on them and I'm not certain parts will be readily available, the good thing is you're not paying much for them. At nearing 10lbs and only 2hp that's also a pretty fat saw, my rear handle 201 is more power at 8.6lbs as is the 200 rear handle, but if your on a budget you gotta do what you gotta do.

I've been a proponent of the 450 for a long time. It's right around 11 lbs with 3.2hp iirc, which is the almost the same specs as the 353. I also like that they have the clips on the top cover for easier removal, I believe that leads to the filter getting cleaned more often. Another great thing about them now is they come with flippy caps :happy:.
An ms290 or a 455 is all the saw many will need.

Don't you know you can't cut firewood without a pro saw:buttkick::laughing:. I cut all my wood for 3 yrs with a 142 husky (poulan in an orange wrapper) like yours, but mine didn't have that big ole muffler mod:lol:. But then I got a 346 and figured out what all the hype was about :D.

Same here, used a 141 for my wood and the only saw I owned. Got to reading about the 346XP on here and had to have one and now I know what a real saw is like. My little Earthquake 3816 and the 346 is all I need, but I have six more just because.

Same here, used a 141 for my wood and the only saw I owned. Got to reading about the 346XP on here and had to have one and now I know what a real saw is like. My little Earthquake 3816 and the 346 is all I need, but I have six more just because.
Most don't need much more than a 50cc saw, but if you can have a few others why not :innocent:.

Latest posts

Back