I got a start on it today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I went up to a friends property where we had scoped out a few trees that had fallen over the summer.
The only pics I got are of the huge Beech, I also dragged out a couple of big old Maples, I'll get pics of them tomorrow.
The picture doesn't do the size of the Beech any justice, it's huge.
Also used my Jeep instead of the tractor as it was hilly and rocky and that's what my Jeep is built for (for reference those are 35" tires)
bxMYqKyl.jpg

uSy3Yczl.jpg

Looks like it would be some easy splitting. At least one heaping truck load?
My friend cut down three ash trees and pulled them to a flat where I could get to them easily. I never saw so many limbs on ash trees. The grew out in the open, no other trees around. The grain wasn’t tight. I’ve got two 6-1/2’ truck loads and there’s more. It’s still getting in the upper 80’s here in SW Virginia, so I got hot and had to quit.

Just for reference the left most log it 24" diameter and it's over 18' long, they are between 18' and 20' in length.
I dragged some more Maple out today before the rain set in, I'll get some pics tomorrow.
I made a quick and dirty skidding plate this morning, It didn't work as planned, I welded some large U bolts on to the inner sides I am going to use a large ratchet strap to secure it to the log. I'll give it another try tomorrow.
2jy73yal.jpg

Just for reference the left most log it 24" diameter and it's over 18' long, they are between 18' and 20' in length.
I dragged some more Maple out today before the rain set in, I'll get some pics tomorrow.
I made a quick and dirty skidding plate this morning, It didn't work as planned, I welded some large U bolts on to the inner sides I am going to use a large ratchet strap to secure it to the log. I'll give it another try tomorrow.
2jy73yal.jpg
Like your idea and it gave me another idea. Instead of ratchet straps have 2 holes in the face and use a cordless drill to run 2 lag bolts into the face. Won’t rip and tear like a ratchet strap. Going to have to fab one up for me.

2jy73yal.jpg
This a skidding cone I made up out of a large water heater top, a piece of pipe and some bed frame angle iron. Don't look at the welds, old wet rod.
It works great on my Norse 400 winch. Very heavy to haul in to the log, either top or butt. Never hangs up
P1080906.JPG P1080904.JPG

I hauled out a huge tree today, each piece was about 24" x 26' long
I never did try the skid today as it's difficult with this size log and being alone.
I need to remember to take a pic of the skid now with the U-bolts welded on.
5kLhsLXl.jpg

hvALhtxl.jpg

I cut it to 118" so it would fit in my 10' dump trailer and took a large load home, dumping it the frame decided to bend just rear of the drivers side spring hanger, I spent three hours fixing that, luckily I have a plasma cutter and a welder handy! I'll get another load or two tomorrow morning.

This a skidding cone I made up out of a large water heater top, a piece of pipe and some bed frame angle iron. Don't look at the welds, old wet rod.
It works great on my Norse 400 winch. Very heavy to haul in to the log, either top or butt. Never hangs up
View attachment 762197 View attachment 762198
I like it! What is the diameter of it? I have been just picking up blow downs that happen to be quite large (which I don't mind) :)

I like it! What is the diameter of it? I have been just picking up blow downs that happen to be quite large (which I don't mind) :)
It's out in a bush right now. I think that it was 22 inches in diameter. Will go out and check left over parts in the scrap steel pile. Looks like 21 inches inside. Not really big
enough for the butts of some of our hard maples so sometimes better to pull from the top of the log. Just how you drop them. It's heavy and tough.

Back