Buckin Billy Ray

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am doing 5 degree top plate with a 0 degree down angle. Are you saying that cutter length does not affect rippling but it is something else?
Not sure, just saying I haven't experienced it yet with mine and I've milled through barbed wire before and the teeth were pretty bad when I got the setup, If I remember correctly all teeth were still pretty symmetrical though, but I am using a .404 grandberg chain powered by a MS880

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

If the depth gauges are properly set the chain will cut, but it does affect how the chain cuts. Tooth width will vary from tooth to tooth, this effect how the kerf forms and how the chain moves side to side. It works, but not as efficiently, and the finish will look rough, this is one reason why race chains are stoned.[emoji111]
Makes sense as to why mine isn't doing the same thing since granberg removes half of the first two cutters in a 4 cutter pattern

If the depth gauges are properly set the chain will cut, but it does affect how the chain cuts. Tooth width will vary from tooth to tooth, this effect how the kerf forms and how the chain moves side to side. It works, but not as efficiently, and the finish will look rough, this is one reason why race chains are stoned.[emoji111]

My wood stove doesn't care or know anything about this.

My wood stove doesn't care or know anything about this.
That's not what this is about. My work chains are just that. However there is no harm in discussing the fine details and learning how things truly work, it's not about being an elitist, it's knowledge.[emoji111]

August has some incredible vids as well buckin knows his stuff hands down ive seen him move tree's like most sane people wouldn't even think about doing. Hes a faller and an old school climber that i know can hang with the best. He's a pro you can't even say otherwise.

The thing about both August and Billy, they both recommend the others videos- so there is not much higher praise, where two guys at the top of their game, recognise each other for being good at what they do.
Billy might be a tad more old school, but I think if regulations were not as tight, August would be just as old fashioned in his tree work.
And the climbers gear offered under the Monkey Beaver name- exceptional!

I can't watch this guy. I saw the video about gullets and he repeats himself 100 times and stops talking mid sentence and then starts all over. He knows his stuff though.

Try listening with your eyes and use the mute feature? Still a lot can be learned from his videos.

Maybe he likes to repeat a point many times in the hope that through repetition the point will finally sink in?

Try listening with your eyes and use the mute feature? Still a lot can be learned from his videos.

Maybe he likes to repeat a point many times in the hope that through repetition the point will finally sink in?

One can skip ahead too. The guy has 30 minute videos with about 5 minutes of useful information. Skip, skip, skip, oh, onto something new, now I watch again....

He is one of those guys you would like to meet one day, shake his hand and just sit a while and chew the fat. He has had some knocks and setbacks in life, perhaps that changed his attitude a little? But he talks a good message- one we should all take onboard once and a while more often.
I also like the fact he is a devout Husqvarna fan, unless it is an old McCulloch- yet still uses a 200T for a climbing saw............

Yeah he has said that being crushed by a falling tree changed his outlook on life.
TBH I sometimes find his positivity a bit much but each to their own, if he wants to be positive in his videos then I don't care so long as he is genuine, which he seems to be.

He is one of those guys you would like to meet one day, shake his hand and just sit a while and chew the fat. He has had some knocks and setbacks in life, perhaps that changed his attitude a little? But he talks a good message- one we should all take onboard once and a while more often.
I also like the fact he is a devout Husqvarna fan, unless it is an old McCulloch- yet still uses a 200T for a climbing saw............
He's the genuine article, very grounded/down to earth.

Genuine is the keyword to his whole appeal and why all kinds of folks enjoy the channel. He certainly strives to bring out the positive in people (and the moment), which in turn tends to make ya feel good for a minute even if you're having a lousy day. What he lacks in finesse he certainly makes up for with authenticity.

And he's pretty good with a rope and a saw..., and a file.

He's got one or two dolmars and some echos, he has the little 2511 that he uses once in a while. I like that he doesn't tell people like and subscribe in his videos, someone asked him about that during a live stream and he said didn't feel right doing that.

He's got one or two dolmars and some echos, he has the little 2511 that he uses once in a while. I like that he doesn't tell people like and subscribe in his videos, someone asked him about that during a live stream and he said didn't feel right doing that.

I have also seen him running a Hultzforma 365/372 clone and a Joncutter top handle- although they might be Hogan's saws?
We all stray from the path now and then- I have owned a couple of Husqvarna saws myself- but generally you could consider him a Husky fan.

I have also seen him running a Hultzforma 365/372 clone and a Joncutter top handle- although they might be Hogan's saws?
We all stray from the path now and then- I have owned a couple of Husqvarna saws myself- but generally you could consider him a Husky fan.

The holtzforma is what he bought Hogan and I the groundie runs one too. He does love his Huskies especially the 372s.

He was testing the clone, had bear claw port it with an OEM piston and it didn't even last a day, the 200T climbing saw is just really hard to beat for power and weight

He tells people on his live streams to leave a up or a down, and every now and then on the videos too, he has learned that the algorithm favors ups and downs, so he says leave either lol

I like the positivity. Having a tree fall on you (or any new lease on life for that matter) tends to brighten you up a bit. Maybe we all need to be shaken up occasionally to appreciate life and those we love. Life's short and no guarantees.

I like that he uses axes instead of wood splitters. I cut wood because I enjoy it and the excercize. He must feel the same way! But I do it as a hobby and a cost savings; not an occupation. I can split my 4 cords a year by hand while I'm whistling and enjoying the morning. If I had to do it all day, I'm sure I would invest in more than a Fiscars and a Sotz Monster Maul.

I like the positivity. Having a tree fall on you (or any new lease on life for that matter) tends to brighten you up a bit. Maybe we all need to be shaken up occasionally to appreciate life and those we love. Life's short and no guarantees.

I like that he uses axes instead of wood splitters. I cut wood because I enjoy it and the excercize. He must feel the same way! But I do it as a hobby and a cost savings; not an occupation. I can split my 4 cords a year by hand while I'm whistling and enjoying the morning. If I had to do it all day, I'm sure I would invest in more than a Fiscars and a Sotz Monster Maul.

Having that happen then going through the rehab and recovery will test how strong you are. If you watch Cory Thayers youtube channel @human he fell about 30(?) Feet and was in a wheelchair for little bit. Got the fall on his gopro and kinda just documented what he did to stay sane during his recovery. I hope cory and Billy can get a chance to work together at some point I think that would be pretty interesting.

Having that happen then going through the rehab and recovery will test how strong you are. If you watch Cory Thayers youtube channel @human he fell about 30(?) Feet and was in a wheelchair for little bit. Got the fall on his gopro and kinda just documented what he did to stay sane during his recovery. I hope cory and Billy can get a chance to work together at some point I think that would be pretty interesting.
I agree! He has mentioned Corey before in a video where he was talking a out injuries and how it can happen to anyone in the blink of an eye.

Buckin Billy Ray is salt of the earth working class west coast Canadian eh! :D
Born and raised in Nanaimo BC on Vancouver Island.
The accent has a sing song unassuming lilt that is specific to many working folks around BC.

This land is rich with old and new fallers/loggers who made/make their living in the woods. Usually tough as nails but frequently humble, generous and kind. Spending a lifetime in the woods can season a good soul.

You can see the hours and hours of experience in Billy Ray's clean cuts and skillful felling of difficult trees.
Great to see him making good using modern media to showcase his skills and generate some revenue. :clap:

I also caught him and Hogan recently on a TV program called 'Axe Men' (I think that's what it was called).

Back