Buckin Billy Ray

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do Canadians get arvika 4.5 lb axes,and the us only gets 3 lb or lighter from hulz bruchs ? I am getting addicted to axes after watching his work.

He made some kind of announcement when he was in Sweden about extended Arvika availability in the U.S. I think it was actually when he was at the Hults Bruk facility.

And from everything I've come to understand, he's from Vancouver Island born and raised. Poor side of the tracks with his mom and brother and no dad..., which makes his story that much more extraordinary..., at least to me. The dude is a man's man by just about any standard and got it from somewhere.

As for the unusual accent beyond the regional dialect, he does occasionally slip into an alter ego character for turds and grins he calls 'Sven'. Quite a combination of accents from American Italian to a French Canadian/Euro mix. Certainly confusing if you just happen to stumble onto him while he's doing that character!

Why is it 25 k to get a card that says you can fall trees ? No card needed in the states ,just have to know someone that will trust you here.

You say something brother?
First off, IDK about the axes.
Or that particular brand. It was hard for years to get a 5lb. I don't think I have seen a 4lb that your guys get.
I've had piece's welded on the side of the 3.5 head to make 4ish lb. Makes a nice difference so then I can shorten the handle and make it the exact same again:dizzy: odd? Weird? I just call it a style. Yeah it gives me the same clout on a short handle. With the longer handle in a cross draw sheafe it gets caught up in the branches of the tree or two above when limbing the bottom tree. It can be a long way down off the bottom side. If I manage to stay on, I may have still thrown my saw off to save myself. Any suggestions? Quit while I'm ahead maybe? Lol

About the $25,000? I think Shane payed $30,000 getting on a few years back now. Looks like it's coming to an end. There is also such thing as "safe certified" companies that of course consists of registration and paying a fee then self auditing the activities and sending in paperwork for three years. So Safe certified companies will be doing their in-house training soon of the BC forest Saftey Training standard. This means it will be like pre 2005. Training to be a Faller will be hand picked again and not who has money. What a ridiculous money grab. There has been a shortage. Some union 'want adds' seem to never come down.
All have a 5 yrs West coast cedar country policy though. I suppose eventually there may be "less demand" (more competitive) and rates may even come down.
No buying yourself in anymore. Work your way up like the old days.

It will be pretty hard to be a coast faller unless you are a coast logger first.

I listened to him for about 2 minutes and he's an East coaster plant. to my town I'm from
^ I remember the night I posted this,
I was too tired to watch but my immediate impression was of him being originally from one of the Maritime provinces. As it has been pointed out, he is not, but raised in Yellow point VI BC. Basically in
Ladysmith. Not my favorite person raised in "Ladysmith". Sorry Billy, That belongs to Pamela Anderson. She even went back and bought a 5 acre waterfront there and was going to (or did) turn it into a resort..

As for his accent? it sounds very Irish influenced to me much like the east coast. Perhaps his Mother is from there, or Ireland?
I remember walking home one day after the bus dropped us off with my Sister and Neighbor from school.
Our families were both from the UK and he asked us If we talk with a English accent to our parents. We both answer No..of course not. He said well I do.. ..as soon as I walk in the door.
He starts in with this thick accent as he's pretending they're greeting him at the doorway.
I think we fell over laughing in the street...lol
Our three cousins all have a transatlantic accent
but not my Sister & I.

We talk a lot flatter here, like Billy does often but he gets pitchy and pronounces some words different..
A couple of times when he said the "four" in 394 my ears perked right up. It wasn't everytime either.

In the Shaw TV interview above nearing the end when he is talking about when he was hurt, It seems very apparent to me. I'm sure if my Parents heard him they would say definitely!
If anyone gets a chance ask on my behalf, would be cool.
If not I guess I should.
Is there an email question line I can send to?

As for his accent? it sounds very Irish influenced to me much like the east coast. Perhaps his Mother is from there, or Ireland?
*Update
I think it was the next day, I thought I would search through the band name "plum chutney" ( that he plays in with his Mother) and see what came up. Sure enough, there was I Shaw TV interview on her.
I would get to hear her speak and

I went to Victoria for a day trip ,i was saying aye after my sentence s for a week after i got home. Just being there the accidents stick to you like rubber on glue.
haha...that's funny.
One day is not much time to see Victoria.
The only time I caught the boat over was in '83 when we used to circuit race bathtubs and there was one race in Bremerton. We had to take another boat to Bremerton.
I got 8th and it was sponsored by the Legion post 149 I believe it was.
I was 15 drinking in there 'all night'
Lol. Lots of fun.

* Axe sharpening*
Anyone know if or what video he shows how he sharpens his axe, I remember seeing one where he took a grinder to the edge and then got his stone out but the scene changed. Looking for some input on hand sharpening for a newbie axe addict, anyone use a leather strop to finish the edge? Maybe I should start a separate thread? Thank you

* Axe sharpening*
Anyone know if or what video he shows how he sharpens his axe, I remember seeing one where he took a grinder to the edge and then got his stone out but the scene changed. Looking for some input on hand sharpening for a newbie axe addict, anyone use a leather strop to finish the edge? Maybe I should start a separate thread? Thank you
Comment and ask him to make a video would you like me to call him and see of he will?

Latest posts

Back