Newer model Stihl saws vs older models

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've never seen a stiletto framing hammer have you? How about a dead blow ball-peen? There's a reason that "they don't make 'em like they used to". The current models are always better than their precursors.
084 to 880 was not an upgrade.....

And too many hammers are sold to upgrade for Kool factor. Few wear them out.

Pneumatic Nailers were a game changer.

You've never seen a stiletto framing hammer have you? How about a dead blow ball-peen? There's a reason that "they don't make 'em like they used to". The current models are always better than their precursors.

Not necessarily. Take axes for example. Back in the day when a high quality axe was a tool that a logger, farmer or laborer used on a daily basis you had a large base of consumers who knew the products and how to use them. These days hardly anyone uses an axe on a regular basis and by and large the quality of modern axes reflects this.

I agree with the 201t and the 250
I believe most who say negative things about the ms362 has never even run one and for those who say it can't handle a 25 inch bar must be drunk:givebeer:

That depends on your elevation... up here at 8000ft, we're down 25% on power. A 440 can pull a 24" bar up here, but without a lot extra. The 460 ish saws are a better choice. Which is why I run a 20" on my 440

That depends on your elevation... up here at 8000ft, we're down 25% on power. A 440 can pull a 24" bar up here, but without a lot extra. The 460 ish saws are a better choice. Which is why I run a 20" on my 440

You probably know that moving timing ahead and raising compression is helpful in restoring some lost power. It is nice up there. but air is thinner. Thanks

I detest the newer Stihl line up. As long as Huztl is around I do not need any thing else. Huztl does not have the quality that is considered great with OEM, but for most part their stuff works. Stihl has made zero effort to compete with any body just producing a bunch of *****. For some one that is a home owner and wants to get there bushes trimmed the product list seems to get that done, but for all others no. Thanks

Current consumer and environment-related expectations do not leave manufacturers much room for a top quality and long-life product:
- lighter
- more powerful
- easier to start
- less environmental impact
- less maintenance
- more economical (cheaper)

Combined with the fact that manufacturers can only survive if their products fail timely and need to be replaced, I rather like the "old" saws I (still can) use and probably will for many years to come. Those were still made when there was no planned product obsolescence.

I’m on the same page as you

Huskys nomenclature is actually pretty simple. The last two or three numbers are the displacement in cc’s. So a 395 is a 95cc saw and a 3120 is a 120cc saw. The first number is the series. 1 series are old saws, 2 series are 80’s era pre-emissions, 3 series are more recent pro saws, 4 series are homeowner grade, 5 are the newest.

I largely class Stihl saws into three different “eras.” I go pre-064, which includes, well, the 041, 056, 075, 090, and so forth. Built like a tank... That’s about all I have to say.

Then there’s 064-661. The layout of these saws are all largely the same. Air filters, covers, chain brake handles, etc. Durable, turn more RPM, lighter for their power, all usable and very “current” designs. They include essentially 024-084, then MS 260-MS 880, including the 361, 461 & 661. I’m tempted to put the 500i in the group just based on layout. Top covers separated along the air box in two or three pieces, all those traits, etc. By those standards you could group the 038 & 048 into this group as well. M-Tronic was introduced and fleshed out during this sort of “generation.”

Now we’re seeing the “current” generation of Stihl saws with one piece top covers, spring AV (I know the 361 & 661 are spring mounted), general lightness being a major factor. For example, the 241, 261, 362 & 462. M-Tronic isn’t optional, but it’s at a point where it’s proven itself to work and work well.

Right now I have the “064-661” era saws. I think the current generation will work, and I’d have to adjust to them, but they’re probably all fine saws.

As far as old vs new, I definitely like the second gen designs. They are, as a rule, lighter and smoother than the early saws, and potentially more durable than the current generation. That said, I don’t have enough time on a 462 yet to judge.

Huskys nomenclature is actually pretty simple. The last two or three numbers are the displacement in cc’s. So a 395 is a 95cc saw and a 3120 is a 120cc saw. The first number is the series. 1 series are old saws, 2 series are 80’s era pre-emissions, 3 series are more recent pro saws, 4 series are homeowner grade, 5 are the newest.
Wow. Now it all makes sense lol. Thank U for that.

I largely class Stihl saws into three different “eras.” I go pre-064, which includes, well, the 041, 056, 075, 090, and so forth. Built like a tank... That’s about all I have to say.

Then there’s 064-661. The layout of these saws are all largely the same. Air filters, covers, chain brake handles, etc. Durable, turn more RPM, lighter for their power, all usable and very “current” designs. They include essentially 024-084, then MS 260-MS 880, including the 361, 461 & 661. I’m tempted to put the 500i in the group just based on layout. Top covers separated along the air box in two or three pieces, all those traits, etc. By those standards you could group the 038 & 048 into this group as well. M-Tronic was introduced and fleshed out during this sort of “generation.”

Now we’re seeing the “current” generation of Stihl saws with one piece top covers, spring AV (I know the 361 & 661 are spring mounted), general lightness being a major factor. For example, the 241, 261, 362 & 462. M-Tronic isn’t optional, but it’s at a point where it’s proven itself to work and work well.

Right now I have the “064-661” era saws. I think the current generation will work, and I’d have to adjust to them, but they’re probably all fine saws.

As far as old vs new, I definitely like the second gen designs. They are, as a rule, lighter and smoother than the early saws, and potentially more durable than the current generation. That said, I don’t have enough time on a 462 yet to judge.
Using your formula I like the second generation of Stihls the best. Decent running saws, fairly easy to work on and plenty of parts available for about all models...

Latest posts

Back