Firewood and Poison Ivy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure it’s neutralized after its burned. But it’s well documented that bad things up to and including death can happen if you get in contact with the smoke.

It’s not worth it.

Throw it on the back 40 and the elements will neutralize it in 12-24 months. Or if you need to be rid of it, get some old outerwear and good gloves. Shove it all into a contractor bag and put the outerwear on top of it.

We had a tall black lab that easily jumped the 6 foot fences. Well, he'd go up in the hills across the street and get poison oak all over him, then come jump back into the yard, no big deal. Then we'd get home from school and wrestle the dog. Woke up with my eyes swollen shut a couple times.

Got it real bad as a kid. We were on vacation and stopped one night at a friend of my Parent's , I slept in a small bed in the back room . Next day it started up and I had it head to toe. Turns out the ladies's dog slept there and she didn't change the bed before we came, my Mother wanted to kill her. I get rashes from poison ivy and other stuff so a doctor prescribed a strong steroid cream that works.

I might start itching if I think about it too long.

Got it real bad as a kid. We were on vacation and stopped one night at a friend of my Parent's , I slept in a small bed in the back room . Next day it started up and I had it head to toe. Turns out the ladies's dog slept there and she didn't change the bed before we came, my Mother wanted to kill her. I get rashes from poison ivy and other stuff so a doctor prescribed a strong steroid cream that works.

I might start itching if I think about it too long.
Nasty little trick!

Years ago we were returning home from a camping trip when we came across a girl who'd just had a bad wreck, rolled her car off the highway and was laying injured on the roadside. My wife is/was an ER nurse (retired last yr), and as there was no one on scene yet, I stayed in the car with the kids while my wife went to help the girl who was badly hurt--broken this, lacerated that--she was in a world of hurt. Eventually, law and ambulance showed up and we left. But while tending to the girl, my wife realized she was laying in a massive bed of poison ivy. My wife got a pretty good case of it, and that poor girl was in for some suffering.

WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS so you don't get poison ivy.

Has anybody here tried the preventative / vaccine stuff? I don't know the details, but have heard about things like this for several years.

Thanks.

Philbert
A few guys on here have raved about "Oral Ivy" drops. Granted one of those guys was CTYank and I take everything he says with a grain of salt.

I just blast through it then use an axe to shave it off the rounds but normally by the time I'm cutting trees down the PI has lost it's leaves. I usually end up with some minor rashes here and there from the vine but I guess maybe I don't get it as bad as others do. The biggest thing that has helped me reduce my PI rashes is learning exactly what it looks like and being wary of it while I work.

Iv never been bothered by it. In fact I don’t even notice it or poison oak while I’m out. I have probaly crawled through miles of it digging ginseng, trout fishing and so on. Isn’t it more of a allergy than the fact it effects everyone? I got into something once about ten years ago that made blisters on my arms/neck like burn marks almost always thought it was poison parsnip but it’s never bothered me sense I weed wack it, brush hog it and drive through it with four wheelers / dirt bikes all the time

Iv never been bothered by it. In fact I don’t even notice it or poison oak while I’m out. I have probaly crawled through miles of it digging ginseng, trout fishing and so on. Isn’t it more of a allergy than the fact it effects everyone? I got into something once about ten years ago that made blisters on my arms/neck like burn marks almost always thought it was poison parsnip but it’s never bothered me sense I weed wack it, brush hog it and drive through it with four wheelers / dirt bikes all the time

What I've been told is: About 1/3 of people are mildly allergic to it, 1/3 are seriously-to-deathly allergic to it, and the remaining 1/3 are totally immune to whatever effect poison ivy usually has.

I've got a friend who can roll around in it. Doesn't bug him at all. His wife will get it just from handling his coveralls. My dad falls into one of the other categories, mildly sensitive to it if he has a lot of direct exposure, but doesn't have the same reaction to it that I do, or as easily.

Has anybody here tried the preventative / vaccine stuff? I don't know the details, but have heard about things like this for several years.

Thanks.

Philbert
A local pharmacy chain here in east Tennessee has a concoction they sell. I haven't heard of anyone saying it doesn't work. Supposedly you have to follow the instructions to a T.

A lot of local public porks guys swear buy it.

I can't remember the name of the place but it's near my father's house. I'll find out.

As tin knocker said, don't forgot to clean tools. If you cut through an ivy vine and then don't think about it and after sharpen chain it what not you got that crap all over the bar and all in behind the clutch cover just waiting to get on your hands.

A new family moved in 2 doors down from us when I was a kid after the previous owners moved. There was a creek on the one side of their yard w a thicket on the creek bank.The new owner saw a snake one summer day and it slipped into the thicket before he could kill it. He was apparently very afraid of snakes and decided to burn the thicket down. He was out there all afternoon chopping and raking and burning the veg, in the thick smoke of the green burn. The next morning an ambulance took him out of the house on a gurney. I swear his head was so swollen it looked like pumpkin and I think he was unconscious. He had breathed poison ivy smoke along w the weeds and it about killed him. He was in the hospital for about 2 weeks and was not the man he was before the fire afterwards.To add insult to injury, with the thicket and the roots burned down the 10' tall creek bank started to cave into the creek taking big chunks out of the yard. They moved out about a year later.

I'll add a bit of info about Poison Sumac trees.I worked Surveying about 30 yrs. in the field. Never seen much or any PS around the Piedmont where we mostly worked. We got a job in Mount Airy in the foothills in NW N.C. near VA. It was summer and I was wearing a t shirt chopping a line in the afternoon w a machete when I reached out to cut another "sapling" and slightly stabbed my forearm on the 8' tall "sapling" I had cut w my last swing of the blade. It bled a bit but wasn't anything I had not done hundreds of times before back around home. We quit about an hour later and went back to the motel, an hour or so later I took a shower. I noticed a spatter of tiny black spots on my forearms and tried to scrub them off w the soap and washcloth. They did not go away. We had a few beers and had dinner at a restaurant nearby the motel. When we got back I was breaking out w itchy welts on both arms and other places and in an hour they were growing all over my body, neck, back, groin, legs, etc. Went to the local ER. Now I was swelling up and my throat was tight. The arm w the wound was swollen and covered w welts now, I swear you could almost watch them get larger. I told them about stabbing it on a small tree and they told me it was PS. They gave me an epi and steroid injections and I went back to the motel and tried to sleep. The next morning I was about covered w itchy,red welts all over my body.It took 5 days for them and the horrible itching to subside. I learned that the poison in the sumac makes your body produce more of the poison that is spread by the blood moving around the body. Don't EVER stab yourself w a sharp,green Poison Sumac branch or trunk. I forgot, the sap in PS is pressured and when cut or broken it sprays out like an aerosol that's why I had the splatter of the black spots on my arms. The poison turns the skin black and it can't be removed unless you cut the skin off and that's not a good idea.I would assume washing the skin asap after getting exposed to the sap might help to lessen the damage and suffering.

I'll add a bit of info about Poison Sumac trees.I worked Surveying about 30 yrs. in the field. Never seen much or any PS around the Piedmont were I worked. We got a job in Mount Airy in the foothills in NW N.C. near VA. It was summer and I was wearing a t shirt chopping a line in the afternoon w a machete when I reached out to cut another and slightly stabbed my forearm on a sharp cut, 8' tall "sapling" I had cut w my last swing of the blade. It bled a bit but wasn't anything I had not done hundreds of times before. We quit about an hour later and went back to the motel, an hour or so later I took a shower. I noticed a spatter of tiny black spots on my forearms and tried to scrub them off w the washcloth. They did not go away. We had a few beers and had dinner at a restaurant nearby the motel. When we got back I was breaking out w itchy welts on the injured arm and other places and in an hour they were growing all over my body, neck, back, groin, legs, etc. Went to the local ER. Now I was swelling up and my throat was tight. The arm w the wound was swollen and covered w welts now, I swear you could almost watch them get larger. I told them about stabbing it on a small tree and they told me it was PS. They gave me epi and steroids and I went back to the motel and tried to sleep. The next morning I was about covered w itchy,red welts all over my body.It took 5 days for them and the horrible itching to subside. I learned that the poison in the sumac makes your body produce more of the poison that is spread by the blood moving around the body. Don't EVER stab yourself w a sharp,green Poison Sumac branch or trunk. I forgot, the sap in PS is pressured and when cut or broken it sprays out like an aerosol that's why I had the splatter of the black spots on my arms. The poison turns the skin black and it can't be removed unless you cut the skin off and that's not a good idea.

Dang!!!!

That’s scary

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I spent a lot of time in the woods, and feel generally comfortable with being able to identify poison ivy. A few years back I was in Southern California on a hiking trail, and somehow (?) looked down and had an epiphany; 'Hey! I'll bet that stuff is poison oak!' (not something we have anywhere where I lived).

Philbert

I heard about a guy who took out a bunch of poison ivy out of his yard. He took off his pants and laid them on a chair in the bedroom and took a shower. Hours later his wife got out of the shower and sat down in the the chair naked, on the pants to put on some makeup and hair. She got ate up w the ivy and was in agony for days.

Back