Climbing in Poison ivy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOlsen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a large job to bid in the next couple days. It includes a china berry and a hack berry both about 50 ft tall and right in between two metal buildings. They would be fun trees except they are completely covered in poison ivy! they have several 2" vines growing up the trunks and almost every branch is covered up to about 30'.

Has anyone done much climbing/cutting of trees covered in it? I can get a lift to the trees if I need to, but im still concerned about cutting threw it and spraying chips everywhere. Any advice or experience is welcome.

I would not recommend it if you are sensitized to it. I've been chainsawing on my farm for the past five years removing storm damaged trees and felling trees that were covered just as you described. They make a barrier cream and although I haven't tried it I wish I had. Some folks it doesn't bother them. If I get in it bad then I have to do a round of steroids. When you hit it with a chainsaw it will get on you. The way I handle trees now is I cut about an 18" section of every vine at the base of the tree and treat it so it doesn't grow back. Then I come back 6 months later and very carefully break away the vines from where I'm going to make a cut. But you probably don't have time for that.

Having done some chain sawing on poison ivy, I would not reccomend it.

It is possible to suit up enough to protect yourself but you would still need to clean up your gear and saws afterword.

Full body suit like painters wear is all gotta say. Every time I go cut at the farm I'm clearing I always get it big time pain in the ass. Bid higher then you normally would but wear a full body suit you should be good then lol

Pretty much echoing other comments...but I'd:
*Bid it high...not just a little higher than normal, but plan on more time to mess with the vines, budget plenty of Tecnu on the day of then a couple of $30 tunes of Zanfel if a rash does show up. Include enough to pay for some disposable clothing and gloves...probably even a new rope - I wouldn't want to touch that with bare hands next time. Then, I need a couple of hundred on top of that for potential pain and suffering.
*Cut a section out of the vine as soon as I knew I got the job
*Insist on it being a winter job for 3 reasons
1) No green leaves (can still get it from vines...but a lot easier to avoid)
2) Can wear full body covering without overheating
3) Give it time to dry out a little

On pruning day, pull off as much as you can with heavy rubber gloves. Bring up (or have groundie send up) more gloves to use every time you can pull more off. Avoid cutting it as much as you can with your chainsaw. Make as many cuts with the handsaw as you can...fewer chips flying everywhere and much easier to clean.

I haven't worked in it but I wouldn't without Tyvek coveralls, heavy nitrile gloves and a faceshield. Basically ppe for pesticides.

There is this stuff called timber wolf that does provide protection. It is also sun block and insect repellant. It feels greasy and ******, but it works well.

If you lather yourself up with that and try to do the job quickly, you could hose off immediately after with dial soap. The key to removing urushiol oil is to use a lot of friction on areas you think have had contact. The expensive after care/removal products are more or less ********; if you can get off the tree and immediately SCRUB all exposed skin with dial soap, you should be in the clear.

Now you just have to worry about the **** contaminating your saw, gloves, clothes...

Thanks for the replies! I did not consider that the oil could get on my saws and ropes and then transfer back to me later. unfortunately they "have to have" the trees out by the end of the month, so I cant cut the vines and let them sit or wait for winter. I will make sure to bid them HIGH! I like the idea of a full body painters suit and throwing that away after. Thanks for all the advice. I will let you all know how I turn out if get the job.

I'm lucky enough that I can sprinkle the stuff on my cereal and eat it. Hasn't ever bothered me. Yet. I get all the jobs around here that the others don't want because of it. If you're allergic, be careful when going to the bathroom. You don't want those troubles. Might try to hire someone that it doesn't bother. Even if it takes them a little longer, it would be worth as opposed to possibly being down for a while or ER visit in the middle of the night. Tyvek suit or bee keepers suit. I've taken down bee trees in 100 degree weather with a bee keepers suit on before. It's hot but it's better than being swarmed.

I usually climb a tree covered in it once a year and every time i regret it but me being ne ill keep doing ip

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies! I did not consider that the oil could get on my saws and ropes and then transfer back to me later.

I read that the oil from poison ivy can sit for years on a surface and come back to bite you.

I have never reacted to it, but my climber gets horrible blisters from it. They look like 3rd degree burns. There isn't too much of it around here, but if it's on the site, we won't work there.

The oil can be persistent for a very long time. I've gotten it in the middle of winter and Know I haven't been around it except for some piece of gear or rope I used must of had some oil on it.

Latest posts

Back