Husqvarna 550xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Ohioan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So my brother inlaw wanted me to get his 550xp running. If it was not family I would have turned it away . I know nothing about Husqvarna saws Im a stihl guy. The issue was the saw would try to start but wouldn't with a shot of fuel into the carb it took of and ran for a few sec so its not getting fuel . It has the auto tune unit on it I did some reading up on it and since he has three other auto tune saws so I bought the auto tune diagnostic tool . I have not worked on the saw for a week or two it has been sitting on my work bench. I started to mess with it today and the engine is froze up ! Took the plug out to see if the cyl was full of fuel nope. I turned the engine with a wrench to see how stuck it was it started to turn but it feels like the crank bearing are junk. How could this happen so fast? I looked at the ex side of the cyl the piston looks like new . Now it seems it will need to be rebuilt from the crank up I have rebuilt stihls but never a Husqvarna what am I getting into here?

I've found any husky better to work on that Stihls, though I haven't worked on new stihls much. I can do a top end rebuild on a 2 series husky in about a half an hour... add an hour to adjust squish, and another hour to do a mild port.

I haven't worked on the 550, but I don't think you'll have any problem.

It sounds like it got straight gassed, not 50:1... check for leaks too.

So my brother inlaw wanted me to get his 550xp running. If it was not family I would have turned it away . I know nothing about Husqvarna saws Im a stihl guy. The issue was the saw would try to start but wouldn't with a shot of fuel into the carb it took of and ran for a few sec so its not getting fuel . It has the auto tune unit on it I did some reading up on it and since he has three other auto tune saws so I bought the auto tune diagnostic tool . I have not worked on the saw for a week or two it has been sitting on my work bench. I started to mess with it today and the engine is froze up ! Took the plug out to see if the cyl was full of fuel nope. I turned the engine with a wrench to see how stuck it was it started to turn but it feels like the crank bearing are junk. How could this happen so fast? I looked at the ex side of the cyl the piston looks like new . Now it seems it will need to be rebuilt from the crank up I have rebuilt stihls but never a Husqvarna what am I getting into here?
so how did the rebuild go?

Do the ol bro inlaw a favor by throwing it in the trash and giving him a stihl..

Nevermind just seen where this thread was brought back from the dead...

Back