Gettin’ greedy - longer bar or larger sprocket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes bolts right up and well worth it. I put the 461R model pump on my 362 thats ported and at max it runs tank for tank.

I don’t supposed you’d have a part # handy? (Don’t go dig for it, just curious)

Is the R model pump different than a regular 461?

Edit: Looks like the HO pump might be 1128 640 3250

The larger oil pump on the MS 461 has more piston stroke (1.1mm) instead of (0.8mm) for the normal version. The larger pump is used on the MS 461 RZ, 461 RVWZ from the factory.

Come over to the Midwest and get a truck load of 16-20" white oak logs delivered. If you want to buck them to 16" lengths for firewood a 70cc saw and a 20" bar will fast become your friend. No big spikes or wrap handle necessary, just something to make quick work of bucking hardwood.

Pretty much all of my wood cutting is downed trees on the ground that need to be limbed as well as bucked. There’s hardly any oak, but a fair amount of madrona and some alder and maple. I find a 28” bar means less bending over and otherwise doesn’t slow me down. The 32” forester bar I used to have on my 066 was a bit too nose heavy though. I’ve got a 32” Tsumura on it now and that seems perfect. I don’t think I’d want to go longer than that for everyday wood cutting though.

I used a 20” bar for years, but I no longer care for them.

If you're gonna run it on a stock saw keep and eye on the oil consumption. Obviously my ported 362 sucks gas a little faster.

But yeah..that's the number.

does a larger oil pump rob a bit of power?

Id hate to see how pitiful a 362 would be with an 8pin and 20" 24 is too much for a 362 even w a 7 pin.

362 is one of the most gutless saws ive ran.

Pretty much all of my wood cutting is downed trees on the ground that need to be limbed as well as bucked. There’s hardly any oak, but a fair amount of madrona and some alder and maple. I find a 28” bar means less bending over and otherwise doesn’t slow me down. The 32” forester bar I used to have on my 066 was a bit too nose heavy though. I’ve got a 32” Tsumura on it now and that seems perfect. I don’t think I’d want to go longer than that for everyday wood cutting though.

I used a 20” bar for years, but I no longer care for them.

Don't get me wrong, I like a 28" on a 70cc also. Actually I was doing storm cleanup all day today running an 044 and a ported 365 special, both with 28"s. Ran a 346xp a bunch too. I was just saying that at times, a 20" or even an 18" on a 70cc can be a good tool in the box.

Get the longer bar. The shortest bars we run on our 362s at the treeservice I moonlight with is 24. Have run up to 32 on them, but you have to be light handed at that point. If it won't pull the 24 inch bar, sharpen the chain...

It's all about the chain, especially when running longer bars on small cc saws. Keep the rakers high and a light hand.
Pro mac 55 w/ 24" full skip buried in oak chugs along just fine, super pro 6o w/ same set up cuts a bit stronger. So stock 57cc/62cc saws can handle it, I just don't like your 60cc saw for longer bars.

I’ve got both a 72cc saw with a 28” bar and a 76cc saw with a 28” bar, both running .404 chain and they both seem to do alright. No way would I want to run them with 20” bars.

Yea what do I know about it anyway, no big trees around here. I just ordered a 16" 050 Tsumura bar for my 50cc, hope it will be alright. I tried my 45cc with a 18" :badpc: what a joke that was.
I liked the copy cat 038mag with an 18", that was about perfect - still maneuverable with plenty power. I guess its about the same power as a more up to date 60cc. The 462 is delivered standard with a 20" around these parts.
I also just ordered a 20" Cannon bar for my 7910, I guess it could pull a longer chain if necessary though...

Back