1/2" vs 3/4"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*ryan

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
once again working on updating my splitter i acquired slowly

i am wanting to do a new valve with a detent in it

18hp opposed twin briggs

i plan on later upgrading to
2 stage pump
4 way splitter
larger ram 4" now

with that in mind

should i go with the 1/2" working ports or the 3/4" working ports and just bushing them down to work with the current ram?

the splitter right now works good, but slow
i dont want to go overkill on anything but dont want to spend money twice on the same part aswell

I can help you 3/4 hoses most likely I need to know what fittinvs and over all length of entire hose All of my stuff is parker

Let me know what you might need as I have a pretty good selection of adpadtors/ fittings etc any idea on hose length ? and what style fittings yo uwant to use JIC, Seal Loc , NPT I think this is all I have in 3/4 or 5/8 hose fittings. Let me know what, when and where

Not in the prince 3000 series
I agree and my point was to compare pressure drop vs flow for the valves not just port sizes
And compare pressure drops. 'Rated' flow by vendor is meaningless unless they show pr drop.
They can say 'max xxx gpm' at whatever they choose based on how much drop across it. Same hardware could say 'rated 20 gpm' (@100 psid) or'rated 30 gpm' if vendor chose to rate at about 250 psid. Have to read the fine print or see flow curves.

Sides: Pr drop is proportional to flow squared. Double the flow is not double pd but 4 x. (2 x 2 = 4 x)

Side note 2: flow out of cylinder closed side on retract stroke will be higher than pump flow by the area ratio of cyl. That can get quite high with large rod sizes. Check valve flows accordingly.

Industrial valves are generally but not always rated at 10 bar 145 psid drop but that is convention only, not a defined physical limit.
Valves have flow limits where the internal forces are so high that the springs or solenids can't overcome to return to center. Those are about the only hard numbers in flow ratings.
The rest of the time it is whatever vendor chooses to rate.

Back