18 inch oregan dont fit 18 bar.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony marks

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
fellas ,i picked up an oregon 73lg-68 chain...
translation 3/8 ,,18 inch,,.58 gauge,, chain. its a tad to long ..just could not get the bar to exstend quite enough. and then its gonna stretch a bit
is there any other brand that i might try ..
or do i have to either get them all made ,or take a link out of this chain ,all the time,,to replace.
the chain that came on it had to be reconditioned,, ,as it ran on a shot sprocket,too long... i did apparently,, a pretty good job ,[cuts really well],but only have about half cutter left ,after straitening out the cutters.this saw ,pioneer farmsaw,,has been a pleasant surprise ,much like my partner 500.
i tried switching to a .325 -9 tooth sprocket ,i had,, but the16 inch,, 67 driver stihl[028] chains just wouldnt fit around the big sprocket. any suggestions appreciated.tm

Hey Tony you can just knock out a link and get a new repair link at a good dealer. If your at all handy you can put it together with some good steel punches. I use a dremel tool to grind off the old head till flush then remove what I don't need and repair the chain. I had a similar problem on some 3/8 chain yesterday in about twenty minutes I was fixed and back on the road. My Stihl dealer only deals in loops now because he claims that he can buy it cheaper than spools. I think he is wrong but I'm not a dealer Yet!! Good luck The Hoosier

Sharpen your chain it's a jungle out there!

thanks john ,,thats what fish said a while back. guess i oughta get my feet wet ,,and nows the time. kinda hate foolin with a new chain [that i can get money refunded ,tho. ]it would really solve a lotto problems if id learn how to do what u said.. we ll see.
anybody got an idea other than this. thanks again john.:)

hmm ,i look into that tommorow ,thanks rocky. wonder how 18 inch ,,3/8 can be 66 and 68 ,for 18 inch chain. dont doubt it ,,just dont quite understand it.. oh well we ll see tommorrow at nothern.

Bar length is just an approximation-after all the usable length changes as you adjust to compensate for chain stretching. Saw layouts are different as well-some have more saw body in front of the crankshaft. The bottom line is that chain length is different for what are nominally the same length bars. A 20" D009 bar (Oregon to fit large Huskies) and A 20" Stihl r Rollomatic take 72 driver chains.Oregon 20" 095 series bars for Dolmar (and smaller Huskies) And 176 series for Echo take a 70 driver chain. Some label these different patterns as 19" but Oregon coding says they are 20". As Brian has mentioned, small Stihls have "shorter" bars/fewer drivers than everybody else.

yep ,, just as i drifted off last nite ,this dawned on me. :) duh.
i knew what the answer would be when i checked back today. in short different set ups,bar width etc, gonna require
more links to get the same distance length ,cutting bar.. i shoulda knowed that.:) translation... i should have known that. u can take the man outa the country [mill hill version],, but u cant take the country outa the boy..

Back