2-digit Husky saws...all clamshell?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
OK, I know that for some time Husky has made homeowner (e.g., 240), farmer/rancher (e.g., 450), and pro saws. I would like to know how their older 2-digit saws compare to these categories.

My list of 2-digit saws: 36, 40, 41, 42, 45, 51, 55, 61.

Are all these saws clamshell farmer/rancher class saws? Were some cheap-builds which would put them in the homeowner class? Any of them have pro-like bolt-on jugs?

Thanks,

Roy

So, 51 and above are not clamshell.

How about the bottom end? Is the 36 to 45 pretty much the same saw with different displacements? Or, are some of them cheezy?

Roy

The 36 and 42 are 'shells, and maybe the 40. The rest are mag with some plastic.

You sure about the 42? I just found a manual which shows the 42 to be a non-clamshell.

You looking at getting an older husky or just comparing them to the newer saws?

Steve

I occasionally dabble in buy-a-non-runner-fix-and-sell. And, as I look at CL busted saws, I would like to know more about what I'm looking at. I don't have anything against clamshells...I just would like to know which is which.

Roy

So, 51 and above are not clamshell.

How about the bottom end? Is the 36 to 45 pretty much the same saw with different displacements? Or, are some of them cheezy?

Roy

Not at all, the 45 (+ the 40 and 49) are Swedish made clamshell saws (based on a Partner design), while the 36 (and 41) are lower quality clamshells, made at the Poulan factory.

OK, I know that for some time Husky has made homeowner (e.g., 240), farmer/rancher (e.g., 450), and pro saws. I would like to know how their older 2-digit saws compare to these categories.

My list of 2-digit saws: 36, 40, 41, 42, 45, 51, 55, 61.

Are all these saws clamshell farmer/rancher class saws? Were some cheap-builds which would put them in the homeowner class? Any of them have pro-like bolt-on jugs?

Thanks,

Roy

Of those, the 42, 51, 55 and 61 are NOT clamshells, and represented the semi-pro/farmer/rancher level at the time (before Husky started to make clamshell "Rancher"/farm saws).

The 42 and 61 are typical "semi-pro" saws, that are lower performance versions of pro saws - while the 51 and 55 belongs to a family of saws that were made as "Rancher" saws from the outset (based on the 50 Rancher).

Regarding the 40, there are two different ones - the first one was a semi-pro saw based on a pro saw (late 1970s to (very) early 1980s), while the second one is a clamshell introduced a little later (see post above). Other model numbers that have been used two times on different saws are 240 and 340.

Not at all, the 45 (+ the 40 and 49) are Swedish made clamshell saws (based on a Partner design), while the 36 (and 41) are lower quality clamshells, made at the Poulan factory.

Super. Thanks. Have you had the kind-of-Poulans next to one of the smaller Swedish clamshells? In what ways are the different?

Roy

Super. Thanks. Have you had the kind-of-Poulans next to one of the smaller Swedish clamshells? In what ways are the different?

Roy

Everything really, if you look somewhat closely - except that both are clamshells (where the plastic case is the "shell"). The quality difference is a major one (as was the price difference).

Regarding the 40, there are two different ones - the first one was a semi-pro saw based on a pro saw (late 1970s to (very) early 1980s), while the second one is a clamshell introduced a little later (see post above). Other model numbers that have been used two times on different saws are 240 and 340.

I hate it when they do that. It is not like every available number has been used.

Anyway, thanks a bunch, guys. I think I have the 2-digit Huskys down, now. Husky could have made the numbering system a little more logical/telling.

Roy

Latest posts

Back