Aluminum air tank build for blowing caps clean of sawdust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same reason all portable air tanks have safety reliefs, just in case.
I can't think of any pressure vessel that doesn't have a relief of some form.

It's a DOT requirement. Probably OSHA as well.

It seems odd to be fussy enough to need an air tank lugged out to the woods when a rag or even a glove would do the job. But then be adamant on ignoring a cheap and technically required safety feature.

On the older firewood processor, it used a shop built air tank for some functions. Piece of 6" steel pipe and not designed well.

I can't remember exactly how it's setup, but it ended up getting some hydraulic oil and water built up so the pressure was higher than supposed to be.

It blew a 1/2" thick end cap off. Luckily the tank was between 2 brackes of 2x2 .25 tube.
Even still it dented the tube and was LOUD when it blew.

It should be designed with a safety. I was floored when Blockbuster said it wasn't uncommon. A 500 or 750 psi safety valve isn't overly expensive... under $100.
You better be wearing all your PPE everytime you even start a chainsaw, there is no risk too low, is it worth dying just to save 10 minutes, everytime you try to even start a chainsaw? Also you should probably buy that brand new volvo with all the safety features. Your life is worth more than 75k. You do have a flammables cabinet in your garage too right? And don't get up on that chair to change a lightbulb, OSHA will be at your door.

On a serious note, regarding regulation, let's say you are an employer, and your employee has to rattle can paint some parts, if your were to give them a respirator for nuisance level VOC's to wear, you could be fined for not getting them fit tested. I went through this at my last job at a big corp. As previously the guy just had to suffer. Now at a smaller place we just have to let the guys suck in the paint as again OSHA would require a fit test if they are given a respirator to use, but not if there are just occasional exposure to nuisance levels of VOC. So yeah let's just use OSHA instead of logic.

Overbuilt is great. Nice job, looks professional. No offense intended by the comments, merely observations. Still waiting on getting myself a TIG welder, maybe I'm just jealous...

Used toothbrush works for me if needed & easier to carry.
Milling.. I do keep a portable (5/7 gal.)air tank handy to blow the whole saw & air filter out, on break when it’s cooled off.
A 12V compressor to recharge the tank when away from the shop, as well as a 400 watt inverter to power a 120 volt grinder if remote.

I wasn't trying to be negative, or rude. Just coming from 17 years working in the truck and trailer repair industry, I've see the destruction that comes from ruptured air tanks and those are tested underwater, at 500psi. Truck compressors and air dryers both have safety valves, to prevent over pressurizing tanks.
Making your own pressure vessel is not something to just go and do, surface areas and material thicknesses need to be calculated. There is a reason end caps are domed in manufactured tanks, more surface area to exert the pressure.
I'm sure the o.p. is quite meticulous, as judging by the cleanliness of his saw, and will be fine, I was only stating that when building things, safety should play a role.

The dome shape is structurally stronger. A sphere would be the strongest shape for a tank using the least amount of material. It is interesting the shape a spoiled can of food takes.

Not enough pressure to need one. It can handle few hundred psi. Unless there’s another reason to need one

The way you have it plumbed with no valve where the hose connects makes for a 'soft' pressure release. Kind of like the rubber plug pressure release on a pressure cooker. The hose would fail way before the cylinder so it serves as a safety, IMO.

Nice work!

I've been using a paint brush for cleaning but am going to give a tooth brush a try.

I’m going to get some of the brushes. It’s mainly to baby my 3120. I got a good way of filling too so I don’t wash in debris. I just need to make the oil valve bigger. I’ll probably open on the metal can some.
I just keep this in my case for small jobs for neighbors.

You got me beat LOL But seriously, the $1 Store Ketchup bottle works great for filling the oil with that spout, also easy to refill since you can take off the spout.
As for the gas can (Made in USA), I have no vent, well I guess this could happen :drinking: Full disclosure, I have no affiliation with the fuel cannister manufacturer, except I think I bought enough to own stock in the company.

To the OP, those are some nice welds. Aluminum has always been the most difficult metal for me, but I only have a 220v Mig welder with straight argon, I don't even have a spool gun, but I rarely weld Aluminum, mainly just if a friend breaks something and it's going to the dump. I have repaired wheel damage also.. Too hot or too cold and my welds look like crap, but are still strong. I don't weld enough anymore to justify buying a Tig, but would love one if it was given to me. I even gave my Miller stick welder to an "old" friend, now I wish I had it back.

Gas and Oil.jpg

Back