anyone else quit cutting due to the heat??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 115-120 degree heat indexes started here last Friday. Saturday I cut and split up a little blow-down for the fire pit… it was hot. Sunday I wasn’t feeling so good and spent most of the day in the house. Monday I had a customer’s communication system go down and spent most of the day in the sun, on top of a roof and a grain elevator. Tuesday I was feeling a bit sick, but headed out for south-west Iowa to take down a tornado damaged tower and put up a new one. Spent most of Tuesday and Wednesday working in the sun… got home late last night, showered and went to bed.

I’m in the office today… and I’m sick, really sick… dizzy, stomach hurts, cramps, feel like I could puke, got the shakes and a bad case of the drowsy. I must’a drank 15 gallons of water over the last few days… but I’m still sick, really sick, and sun burnt from the waist up.

The 115-120 degree heat indexes started here last Friday. Saturday I cut and split up a little blow-down for the fire pit… it was hot. Sunday I wasn’t feeling so good and spent most of the day in the house. Monday I had a customer’s communication system go down and spent most of the day in the sun, on top of a roof and a grain elevator. Tuesday I was feeling a bit sick, but headed out for south-west Iowa to take down a tornado damaged tower and put up a new one. Spent most of Tuesday and Wednesday working in the sun… got home late last night, showered and went to bed.

I’m in the office today… and I’m sick, really sick… dizzy, stomach hurts, cramps, feel like I could puke, got the shakes and a bad case of the drowsy. I must’a drank 15 gallons of water over the last few days… but I’m still sick, really sick, and sun burnt from the waist up.

Good grief man seriously go see a doctor or better yet to the ER!

Man, radiation poisoning. Not much different than standing out watching an H bomb go off. Wear a shirt next time, no matter how hot it gets! You can always just keep dumping water over the shirt to keep it wet and you cooler and over your head when working in extreme heat and sun. Or work at night with some lights maybe.

Sounds like dehydration and/or lack of electrolites , drink the gatorade or something similar . Be careful hope ya get to feeling better. TB

Drink some pickle juice for the cramps and swill liquids. Salty things would probably help also. One of the factoids in the Grand Canyon literature talks about people getting sick from drinking too much water.

Do you wear sunscreen while out in the heat? Do you wear a wide brimmed hat to keep the sun off your neck? What about a loose fitting long sleeved shirt?

It's the sun exposure that really gets you.

Fools will say you're cooler with a shirt off, but that's just their ignorance speaking.

You definitely have a case of some bad dehydration. If you do drink gatorate or powerade, make sure it is sugar free. Sugar will only worsen your dehydration and give you a massive headache.

And don't take freezing cold showers, your body will only heat itself back up to get back to its preferred temperature. A cool shower is best.

Stay in for a few days, drink your water. Eat lots of fruits, too.

Wow, sure do appreciate all the concern guys; I’m feeling a bit better tonight. I went down to the grocery store this morning and picked up some bottles of sports drinks, some bananas and some cheap, greasy, salty potato chips… just sipped and nibbled most of the day. The wife made a light supper of chicken breast, mixed vegetables and salad greens, and then I took a short nap. Woke up a few minutes ago feeling a ton better… not 100%, but a lot better. I’ll take it easy for another day and should be good to go for the weekend… at least good enough.

Way, way, way too much heat and sun for this Yankee…

It's been way too hot and humid here for the past couple of weeks. There is about 10 cords of mixed wood stacked on the side of the road not far from my house that is only $40.00 a cord. Normally I would be all over it, but it's too damn hot for me, most of it will probably be gone by the time it cools down.

Yesterday was the 21st day in a row for 100 degree plus days. I went out right at daylight, and finally finished unloading the wood from my big trailer. Took me 6 weeks to get around to unloading all 4 cords that were on it. It was 84 degrees at 6:00AM, and I was done by 7:30AM.
I am not hauling any more wood until the highs drop below 95.
Jeff

I work up on telephone cables. It was 106 at 3pm on my thermometer yesterday, plus the reflected heat off the highway we were working on. I brought my Igloo cooler up the pole with me, which was filled with ice and water, and tied it up just above my work area. When I overheated, I pushed the spout button and took a shot of cold water to rinse my head. Worked 8 hours and relaxed the rest of the night.
Stay cool. :)

Got sent home from work on Wed.because of the heat, but had a great south wind blowing. The wood I have ready to be cut and split was right in the wind, so I thought it may be comfortable to get after it. The temps were around 100 and humid - the cutting wasn't too bad, but the hand splitting got me very hot. I worked on it for most of the afternoon, and by six o'clock I did not feel very well. Bad headache, sore, and tired. I THINK THE HEAT KICKED MY BUTT! It is way too hot for me to be working like that. I enjoy that kind of work in cold weather.

Ron

New Jersey 100 degrees plus yesterday and today high humidity and heat index !I looked in on the neighbors animals the horse was locked in his stall no water and the rabbits were breathing at about 250 breathes a minute.So we cooled the horse with a garden hose and put the rabbits in her cool garage without asking. Ask me if I cared about asking permission?Moral of the story watch the pets guys hose em down keep an eye on them poor critters they cant help themselves.As for me no work I aint stupid!

There are some benefits to doing tree work for a living :)

Did job right on Lake Huron yesterday -- was nice in bucket at 60 ft height.. good breeze off lake. Could have just sat there all day.

New Jersey 100 degrees plus yesterday and today high humidity and heat index !I looked in on the neighbors animals the horse was locked in his stall no water and the rabbits were breathing at about 250 breathes a minute.So we cooled the horse with a garden hose and put the rabbits in her cool garage without asking. Ask me if I cared about asking permission?Moral of the story watch the pets guys hose em down keep an eye on them poor critters they cant help themselves.As for me no work I aint stupid!

I'm in Jersey too and my dogs were not happy yesterday. Normally they like to stay out for hours, "guarding the perimeter". Not yesterday! The minute they went out, they were begging to come right back in.

Stop over for a cold beer sometime, if you are south of the Mason Dixon horizontal. ;)

Hazy,Hot, and HUMID in Virginia. Its been quite miserable. Been using alot of water to keep the hogs cool. You can just stand still and sweat. Be careful out there and remember your pets/animals.

I went out last week to cut a load. I cut about a half a trailer load and was done. It was way to hot. I was miserable.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

i think i would have just put the rabbits in the freezer instead.:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back