Best chainsaw stihl made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really love freshly sharpened chain on my 026. It cuts so nice and smoooooove...

Remind me, didn't the 032 have a chain brake, better AV than the 031 and electronic ignition?

It's a very broad question with many answers depending on the use of the saw, home handyman to pro logger.
I've owned from 020 to 090 saws, these days I run a 066, 044 and four 034's to cut firewood to heat my home, when I'm too old to pick up the 066 and can't by parts for the 044 I guess it'll be down to the 034, in my opinion one of Stihl's finest saws.

Going by the popularity/sales numbers.
It would be the 029/MS290.
But the question in itself is very subjective, and everyone will just argue over their personal favorite saw.....

The only reason Stihl sold a lot of those saws ways the way over rated HP numbers. Should have been rated at 3 to 3.2 HP. Steve

And the over rated HP was Stihls marketing strategy and it worked. Steve
IMO every manufacturer over-states the power of their equipment. I guarantee you many more 029-291 owners can tell you they have a "Farm Boss" than can tell you how many HP it is. In the many classified ads I've looked at for those saws I've never once seen a seller list the rated power. Any guesses how many I've seen say they're selling a farm boss?

IMO every manufacturer over-states the power of their equipment. I guarantee you many more 029-291 owners can tell you they have a "Farm Boss" than can tell you how many HP it is. In the many classified ads I've looked at for those saws I've never once seen a seller list the rated power. Any guesses how many I've seen say they're selling a farm boss?

When the average Joe walks in to buy a saw his first question will be how many HP a how long is the bar. Steve

When the average Joe walks in to buy a saw his first question will be how many HP a how long is the bar. Steve
I completely agree on the bar length, but Joe homeowner hasn't a clue about how HP relates to a saw. That's why when you walk into a dealership IF manufacturer rated power is listed it's in tiny numbers under the model name and moniker. THAT'S marketing... If you don't believe me walk into any dealership today. Some don't even list HP on the display.

I completely agree on the bar length, but Joe homeowner hasn't a clue about how HP relates to a saw. That's why when you walk into a dealership IF manufacturer rated power is listed it's in tiny numbers under the model name and moniker. THAT'S marketing... If you don't believe me walk into any dealership today. Some don't even list HP on the display.
Asked my wife's cousin what model chainsaw he owned, replied it has an 18" bar. :crazy2:

Latest posts

Back