Best old & inexpensive truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTheFlow

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need a truck for getting firewood from the mountains (personal use). Probably about 30 - 45 minute drive one way. It needs to be as reliable as they get but easy to work on with easy access to inexpensive parts for when I do need to work on it.

Budget is no more than 1K so I figure that means its going to be old and have high mileage, hence the reliability requirement. Would prefer a straight axle, if possible. Would also be great if it could pull a trailer so that I could get more wood per trip! :jawdrop:

Any hearty recommendations or anything I should definitely avoid as far as reliability goes?

Thanks!

The fact that you want a solid front axle makes me think you're looking for a 4X4. If so I think the closest you're going to come to all those requirements would be an '79-'83 Toyota. You'll have to search to find one for $1,000.00 but it's possible. They're simple and pretty bullet proof but don't have a lot of power, should be able to pull a loaded 5x8 trailer though.

Of these the '79, '80 models had a 20R engine with a 4spd. The '82, '83 had a slightly more powerful 22R engine and a 5spd. I have heard the 5spd used in these trucks wasn't as durable as the earlier 4spd but their still Toyota so...

For $1,000.00 you can't be too picky but as a bonus a lot of the "79-"83 4X4's were long beds.

Good luck

I need a truck for getting firewood from the mountains (personal use). Probably about 30 - 45 minute drive one way. It needs to be as reliable as they get but easy to work on with easy access to inexpensive parts for when I do need to work on it.

Budget is no more than 1K so I figure that means its going to be old and have high mileage, hence the reliability requirement. Would prefer a straight axle, if possible. Would also be great if it could pull a trailer so that I could get more wood per trip! :jawdrop:

Any hearty recommendations or anything I should definitely avoid as far as reliability goes?

Thanks!

You can find old 73-79 ford trucks around that range, they were decent trucks, 1/2 & 3/4 tons had dana 44 front axles with the tough ford 9" rears or dana 60. 1 tons had Dana 60 F&R. New process gear drive transfer cases. Power plants 300 straight six, 302,351M-400M or 460 motors any of them are good motors, all rough on fuel mileage. I think these old trucks are a great wood haulers for the the price they bring.

Do you need a 4x4? If not I'd agree with a Chevy/Ford/Dodge one ton chassis cab and make your own stake rack bed so you could haul more per load. One thing to consider on the older trucks is parts availability, interchangability, and cost. In this regard The GM trucks would be best (a least around here). You really can't beat a 73-87 Gm truck. All bellhousings are the same pattern from the straight 6's to the 6.2/5 diesels to the big blocks. So engine/transmission swaps are easy to do.They are easier to work on than the Fords(speaking from PLENTY of experience on both), and parts are VERY cheap and plentiful.I'd stay away from the older 700-R4 overdrives though. I've had nothing but problems with those. You can't beat a 4 speed with the creeper low gear.

The fact that you want a solid front axle makes me think you're looking for a 4X4. If so I think the closest you're going to come to all those requirements would be an '79-'83 Toyota. You'll have to search to find one for $1,000.00 but it's possible. They're simple and pretty bullet proof but don't have a lot of power, should be able to pull a loaded 5x8 trailer though.

Of these the '79, '80 models had a 20R engine with a 4spd. The '82, '83 had a slightly more powerful 22R engine and a 5spd. I have heard the 5spd used in these trucks wasn't as durable as the earlier 4spd but their still Toyota so...

For $1,000.00 you can't be too picky but as a bonus a lot of the "79-"83 4X4's were long beds.

Good luck

I had an 80 toyota 4x4. It would haul a load in the bed but you add a trailer and.. don't think I'd go that route. If you could find an 85 nissan 4x4 they had a lot more power. Both options more grocery getters though, not wood haulers. My 2c

wood hauler

I'd stay away from the rice burners. really can't beat a gm 73-87 w/ sm465 and a NP205 transfer case. cheap parts and readily available.

'73-87 GM 3/4 ton. With a 4 speed and 4 wheel drive.

Just like mine!:givebeer:

+1 my last hauler was a 82 gmc 2500 had about $750 invested and I worked it hard for about 7 years and the truck never let me down. lots of cheap parts and great dependability. Only scrapped it out because I'm building another hauler. the beast was one of my all time favorite trucks

Wow guys, ya'll are awesome! I appreciate this information, as I know zilch about trucks.

I don't know if I need a 4x4 or not. What is the best way to tell? I contacted the forest service and they said that what they are about to open up for firewood access is fairly easy to get to. So for that I doubt I'd need a 4x4. However, I'd rather not be limited in where I can get wood.

Are ya'll saying that one of the above recommended 2WD trucks would go offroad without issue too?

Ya'll make the GMs sound great...how big of a gas tank is on one?

Thanks again! :cheers:

BTW: I'd like a manual instead of automatic, if possible.

Last edited:
'73-87 GM 3/4 ton. With a 4 speed and 4 wheel drive.

Just like mine!:givebeer:

+1

with gas prices the way they are, you can really find one of these pretty cheap. unfortunately though, 12 mpg is a good day.

Good trucks, easy to work on, easy to get cheap parts, super low granny gear. good wood trucks!

I would definitely opt for a four wheel drive! I know its apples to oranges but I have a 91 Dodge CTD 2wd and it is totally helpless unless you have a half ton of weight in the bed. Same with my Ford unless it's in 4wd.
( And that’s on grass.)

I also have an 80 F250 4wd with a 351M, I’m thinking about putting in a 300-6 since the 351 is down. MPG sucks compared to the Cummins but at least it will get to the wood.

Wow guys, ya'll are awesome! I appreciate this information, as I know zilch about trucks.

I don't know if I need a 4x4 or not. What is the best way to tell? I contacted the forest service and they said that what they are about to open up for firewood access is fairly easy to get to. So for that I doubt I'd need a 4x4. However, I'd rather not be limited in where I can get wood.

Are ya'll saying that one of the above recommended 2WD trucks would go offroad without issue too?

Ya'll make the GMs sound great...how big of a gas tank is on one?

Thanks again! :cheers:

BTW: I'd like a manual instead of automatic, if possible.

If the FS says it's easy to get to, I'd go 2wd. 4wd is nice, but you get alot less of a truck for the price too. You also get more to maintain. With a 2wd truck loaded and some traction tires a 2wd does well. Throw some chains in if need be. edit: If it has a gov-lock in the rear, even better.

If you get a 2wd stuck, a shovel and a small winch or come-along can get you out. If you get a 4wd stuck, you need another 4wd or a wrecker.

Don't be afraid of a Turbo 350 or Turbo 400 transmission either. I prefer a 4 speed, but the autos are good and sometimes better. Plus they're cheap and easy to find.

73-87 shortbeds had single or dual 16 gallon tanks. 73-87 longbeds had either single or dual 16 or 20 gallon tanks.

If you get a 3/4 ton, get a full floating rear. Pull the rear hubcap and make sure there's a hub sticking out 3" or so past the wheel. There will be 8 lugs holding the wheel on and 8 bolts holding the axle in. pic The full floating diff is good for about 5500 pounds on a single wheeled rear.

Stay away from semi floating axles Not good for hauling loads.

Last edited:
oh, and the other thing to look for in a woodhauler. Look at the GVW on the tag of the drivers door jamb. There were 8,600 GVW and 6,600 GVW varieties. The 8,600 had 13" rear brakes, the 6,600 had 11". Front brakes were the same. If it says "Camper Special" or "Trailering Special" on an emblem behind the door, it has the bigger brakes. You'll want them when you get over 3,000 pounds in the back.

These trucks also had a problem rusting through the firewall next to the brake booster. If it rusts through there, it will rust out the floor and the rocker/door sill.

I would definitely opt for a four wheel drive! I know its apples to oranges but I have a 91 Dodge CTD 2wd and it is totally helpless unless you have a half ton of weight in the bed.
( And that’s on grass.)

I also have an 80 F250 4wd with a 351M, I’m thinking about putting in a 300-6 since the 351 is down. MPG sucks compared to the Cummins but at least it will get to the wood.

oh, and the other thing to look for in a woodhauler. Look at the GVW on the tag of the drivers door jamb. There were 8,600 GVW and 6,600 GVW varieties. The 8,600 had 13" rear brakes, the 6,600 had 11". Front brakes were the same. If it says "Camper Special" or "Trailering Special" on an emblem behind the door, it has the bigger brakes. You'll want them when you get over 3,000 pounds in the back.

These trucks also had a problem rusting through the firewall next to the brake booster. If it rusts through there, it will rust out the floor and the rocker/door sill.

Didnt some 3/4 tons have the Dana 44 front end instead of the 60?? I remember we had an old farm truck with 60's front and rear, that thing was a beast.

Back