Best old & inexpensive truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would definitely opt for a four wheel drive! I know its apples to oranges but I have a 91 Dodge CTD 2wd and it is totally helpless unless you have a half ton of weight in the bed.
( And that’s on grass.)

I also have an 80 F250 4wd with a 351M, I’m thinking about putting in a 300-6 since the 351 is down. MPG sucks compared to the Cummins but at least it will get to the wood.

I have a 2wd f150 for my wood truck. The 300-6 is probably one of the most underated engines ever, mine has 225,000, doesnt use oil and runs like a top. i am really hoping to get all my wood cut before snow flies again, it was a long winter with 2wd though. I had to dig myself out with an ice cream bucket i just happened to have in the cab:chainsaw: it wasnt fun.

On the plus side though, another time when i got it stuck in the snow i had to carry wood about 100 yds to load it so i could get enough traction and get out. My german shepherd watched me for about 20 minutes and started running back and forth loading the small stuff into the back of the truck. She does it all the time now, one of the neatest things ive ever seen. Im thinking about getting her a sled!!:monkey:

Didnt some 3/4 tons have the Dana 44 front end instead of the 60?? I remember we had an old farm truck with 60's front and rear, that thing was a beast.

Yes they did, infact I've never seen a dana 60 on a 3/4 ton anything from GM. I believe in 80-81 gm went to a nock off corporate dana 44 fnt. axle that they made. I've had a few fords with the 60 in front they are beasts I have never broke one yet. I had a 78 ford 3/4 ton with the snow fighter package on it that had a 60 that someone put a locker in it. That thing would literally keep going untill the frame hanging up.

Didnt some 3/4 tons have the Dana 44 front end instead of the 60?? I remember we had an old farm truck with 60's front and rear, that thing was a beast.

All GM 3/4 tons I have seen had a Dana 44 or a GM 10 bolt in the front. Not saying they didn't have a Dana 60, I just haven't seen one. The K30 1 ton had a Dana 60 in front. I don't think there were any 73-87 models with a Dana 60 in the rear.

All GM 3/4 tons I have seen had a Dana 44 or a GM 10 bolt in the front. Not saying they didn't have a Dana 60, I just haven't seen one. The K30 1 ton had a Dana 60 in front. I don't think there were any 73-87 models with a Dana 60 in the rear.

Yep, you're right, Im thinking of an old ford. Big GMs had 14 bolts in the rear?

Same here. The rearend for 3/4 tons was the 14 bolt full floater, until 1981. Then it was that or the car style 14 bolt semi floater, lame. The 14 bolt f.f. is closer to a Dana 70, much stronger than a Dana 60 rear axle.

Thats a pretty good deal. Especially if it has the high pinion axles. The 4wd crowd really wants those.

Yes the front did have the reversed pinion, I parted the truck out, Thats why I bought it, just for the front axle. I didn't cut wood than, now I wish I had it complete, to use.

A word about manual transmissions.

There was only 1 4 speed manual until sometime in the early 80's. The SM 465. It has one of the lowest( the lowest??? Jeepers love them) granny gears of any 4 speed made. It is all cast iron. If you find the option code sheet in the glovebox, it will be code M20. It's also called the 119mm transmission because it is 119mm between the mainshaft and the countershaft and no slip yoke if it's in a 2wd. If the truck doesn't have a carpet in it, the trans tunnel will be removable with a whole bunch of bolts. The trans tunnel doesn't guarantee the trans, but if it's not a removable tunnel, it's not an SM465. It has a PTO cover on left and right sides of the trans. It was made by Muncie, also called New Departure. Some of the bearings say ND on them and bearing houses have difficulty getting them but most trans shops can. The transmission to stay away from is the 89mm (87mm?). I don't know the option code on that one.

Last edited:
Here's a sorta picture of the 1978 that has been with me for 16 years. I don't know, maybe 17. It has about 280,000 miles on it.

attachment.php

If this truck is only to be used for hauling wood you might want to look into a little larger truck.

A few years ago I sold a 1965 chev C60 for $1,000. Great running inline six, 4 speed trans with two speed rear. GVW was 24,500lbs and it had a 15ft dump bed.

You'd want to take a buddy or two out cutting with you though!

If the truck you are looking for isn't going to be a daily driver there are lots of old farm trucks around that will really haul a load.

+1, Thats kinda what I'm leaning for, but they are about 3-4 tho for a decent one that don't need a lot of expensive work done, at least around my area.

If this truck is only to be used for hauling wood you might want to look into a little larger truck.

A few years ago I sold a 1965 chev C60 for $1,000. Great running inline six, 4 speed trans with two speed rear. GVW was 24,500lbs and it had a 15ft dump bed.

You'd want to take a buddy or two out cutting with you though!

If the truck you are looking for isn't going to be a daily driver there are lots of old farm trucks around that will really haul a load.

This is the route I went. I bought a 1958 chevy wheat truck for $500. It will haul a big load of wood. I know there are a lot of these trucks in colorado, lot of wheat planted there. For the price they cant be beat with a dump bed on them already and does away with a lot of handling, at least the unloading part. Mine dont groan too much at 70 mph with the 2 speed rear end. A pickup truck aint going to haul near the load a wheat truck will.

dang...this is kicking! :blob2: Thanks again to all!

The truck will be strictly for working. Main job will be hauling wood but will also use it to pick up building supplies from the hardware store.

My daily 'commuter' is a 1981 Kawasaki KZ750 with a Toyota Corolla as a backup.

I think it would be smart for me to get a truck that a lot of people know inside and out so that, should the need arise, I'll be able to get help. With all of the people here that seem to like these old GMs, I bet there is a forum somewhere on the net dedicated completely to them. :)

So, when looking for these how do sellers usually list them? Do they just say for example: "1979 3/4 ton GM" or is there a marketing name that is more common?

Edit: Are the wheat trucks fairly easy to work on? Are parts readily available and inexpensive as well?

Last edited:
I have been told duals aren't very good in the snow but have seen tow trucks chained up with them in 20' snow banks they really rip up a storm.

you could look into a military 5/4 truck, they go fairly reasonable with a deisel for better fuel economy and thier 4x4's a site you could check out is; http://www.govliquidation.com/

they have them on here frequently. or go with the duece and half.

if at all stick with the older gm's. easier to maintain and parts abundant

So, when looking for these how do sellers usually list them? Do they just say for example: "1979 3/4 ton GM" or is there a marketing name that is more common?

C= 2wd

K= 4wd

10, 20, 30 for 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton. Mine is a K20.

Back