Bias truck tires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil21502

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have seen a couple posts on here about peeps bragging the bias traction tires. Anyone kno where u can still buy them? Also how do u think they would do on snowy roads? And lastly let's see some pics.

Here's a link...
http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/super-traxion.html
They're noisy and rough riding on dry, paved roads... but once you try them off pavement, you'll never go back to radials for off-road utility use... that's a promise.
Snowy roads?? Well, when other guys are using 4-wheel drive to get to town, half the time I ain't even got my hubs locked-in yet.

whitespider just wondering what youre comparing those bias ply to? as bias vs. radial is just a difference in the construction of the carcass, NOT the tread...

:popcorn::popcorn:
This could be a fun thread to watch...

Um, this was settled like years ago when radials became popular. Radials have better traction than bias ply. Especially offroad. Bias ply tire will carry more weight, no doubt about it. That being said, if'n you got a load range E radial and put a Bunch of air in the thing it will carry more than is really sensible.

Radials have better traction than bias ply. Especially offroad.

LMAO‼
Where did you hear that nonsense?? From a radial tire salesman??
You're thinking in terms of street tires, not traction-lug tires.
Go to the website I link to below and scroll down to the paragraph entitled (Extreme (Rock Crawling/Mud Terrain/Sand/Deep Snow) Truck Tires).
In that paragraph you'll find this...
"Extreme terrain truck tires come in either radial or bias ply, but do their job best in a low air pressure bias ply, which allows the tread to conform to surfaces for increased traction."
And if that ain't enough for ya, go to any website serious about off-road traction and start reading.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/tire-wheel-package-guide/off-road-tires.aspx

Here's another website, linked below, where you'll find these lines...
"Bias ply off road tires provide unmatched performance in extreme off road situations, such as rough trails, deep mud, and jagged rocks. The tread is designed to self-clean and release mud or foreign objects much easier to assist in maintaining traction and the rubber compounds are softer to produce better grip. Additionally, the tire sidewalls are typically reinforced to prevent damage."
And...
"While radial truck tires may not provide the same traction or performance as a set of low air pressure bias ply off road tires, their longevity, handling, and smooth ride on paved roads makes up for it. Radials are perfect for the weekend off road enthusiasts who sees a lot of driving time on paved roads and highways."

http://www.tirepackage.com/off-road/off-road-tires.aspx

And here's one more that states...
"For enthusiasts looking for ultimate in off-road performance (we are talking serious off-roading and deep mud), bias tires are still the best choice."

http://southernsxsriders.forumakers.com/t7919-bias-vs-radial-tires

And if that ain't enough for ya' I can come up with dozens and dozens more.

whitespider just wondering what youre comparing those bias ply to? as bias vs. radial is just a difference in the construction of the carcass, NOT the tread...

"Tread" is overrated... it is about the construction, and how it uses the tread.
Bias ply tires get most all traction from side-bite... when the sidewalls flex the center tread lefts away from the surface and drives the side lugs in harder.
Traction-lug bias ply are also self-cleaning... you will never see the lugs load-up like radials do, even in the stickiest mud they'll be totally clean. Those side lugs force mud or snow out and away, they won't ride up on top of snow and mud like a radial, they cut through it and grab any little bit of traction. If you "spin" your traction-lug bias ply tires, or even "slip" them... ya' flat ain't drivin' 'em right. It's a different style of driving off-road... with radials you're often counting on speed and momentum to carry you through the worst, with bias ply ya' slow down as the goin' gets tougher so the tires can do the work.
And the chances of sidewall damage are near zero when compared to radials... first, because they don't bulge out, and second, because they're normally reinforced.

Last edited:
Let's see some pics of the old school traction tires

Well, last year's "bias ply" thread had some good pictures of 'em on my truck, and in action... sadly they were lost when this website got hacked.
This weekend, when I'm home during daylight I'll try and get some more...
Anyway, this is what I'm running now, but they ain't being made anymore... Cooper Courser Traction LT.

1e13f1e2-140f-4c2d-a4b5-9b46ff859358.jpg

I was a heavy equipment operator for 28 years. I hauled a lot of material in off road dump trucks too. I've seen many bias ply tires that looked like racing slicks when introduced to mud. That includes the old traction lug tires.

Are those bias ply?
Yes... 7.00-15 Bias Ply.
What did you think they were??

I'll put a set of bfg a/t or m/t up against that tire anytime or anywhere.
And I'll be tippin' a beer and smilin' as I drive around your wheel-spinnin' azz.
I've got a couple sets of radial A/T and M/T tires for my truck... yeah, big fat ones... they're my mid-summer, dry ground and street tires.

I was a heavy equipment operator for 28 years. I hauled a lot of material in off road dump trucks too. I've seen many bias ply tires that looked like racing slicks when introduced to mud. That includes the old traction lug tires.
Then you ain't talkin' the same tires I am, mine have never loaded-up... ever‼
Heavy truck, heavy equipment and transport tires ain't the same.

The OP asked about snowy road traction. Seems most on-road incidents are as a result of icy roads. For the ice, I'll stick with my radials thank you.
I believe he was more worried about getting from point A to point B in deep snow... not about sliddin' off an icy road.

36" x 13.5" x 15" Super swamper IROK radials, enough said!

Same ledge, 35" x 14.5" x 15" Pitt bull rockers bias ply, enough said!

first Jeep was mine, second is my nephews, both 4.88 gears with front and rear lockers, we wheel a lot together.
I think they both perform equally well.
On the road though I prefer radials hands down. those bias ply take about 5 miles to warm up enough to remove the flat spots :)

Have seen a couple posts on here about peeps bragging the bias traction tires. Anyone kno where u can still buy them? Also how do u think they would do on snowy roads? And lastly let's see some pics.

Had BFG A/T on a toyota. Virtually unstoppable. Pushed snow with front bumper. Excellent manors on slick icy roads. wheeled over 24" rocks on Williams pass with no problems at all. I have also had them on a K10 chevy, worked real nice on that as well.

Back