Bias truck tires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excuse me, I thought we were talking about bias ply tires. The trucks had 9.00-20 traction lug tires. They may have been a little bigger, which gives even better traction, but in fact they were what you refer to. What makes yours so special? Maybe you haven't been in mud around here.

Excuse me, I thought we were talking about bias ply tires. The trucks had 9.00-20 traction lug tires.
Well you can think they're the same in ya' like... but they ain't.
20-inch bias ply traction lug medium and medium/heavy truck tires are constructed differently than light truck off-road tires. The have more plys, are heavier, stiffer, run at higher pressures, made of harder compounds, both the carcass and "lug" configuration is totally different... they are designed for carrying heavy loads and must be able to do so at road speed. Comparing medium and medium/heavy truck tires to what I'm talkin' about is like comparing tractor tires to car tires... they're designed to do two very different things.

I found a couple pictures from last year... they ain't the best... but it's all I got.
Notice the "clean" lugs and no sign of wheel slippage in the ruts. Also notice the tires do not ride up on top of the snow, rather they cut through and stay on solid ground... even though this was drifted snow, not powder.

Oh (you'll haft'a trust me)... the front hubs are in "free" position... I didn't bother to use the 4-wheel drive.

DSCF0014.JPG DSCF0015.JPG

pizza cutters. :ices_rofl:

if'n it workin' for ya.... I am happy for ya.

Toss that thing onto a sheet of black ice and play a round of hockey. Meanwhile I could sputter away from ya with my mothers Metro....:givebeer:

Pizza cutters maybe... but I wouldn't run wide, fat tires in snow or mud on a bet... been there, tried that.
I want 'em to cut just like a pizza cutter, all the way down to solid ground (where the real traction is).

Oh... and on ice... one tire ain't no better than another.
Not true, the units molded with various materials such as carbide chips, crushed glass, crushed Walnut shells, & others are quite superior on ice. It is true that wide tires either type and snow are poor combination, don't care what kind of side lugs or tread pattern, tall and skinny, with a lot siping and an open pattern tread, is what we use to push snow with, cuts through as some else mention rather than floating on top. Rock climbing off roading mudding whole different class of requirements. Had a friend with a first gen. blazer, jacked up and big mudder tires, frigging impossible to drive on the street, like riding on 4 balloons, disaster waiting to happen.

Pizza cutters maybe... but I wouldn't run wide, fat tires in snow or mud on a bet... been there, tried that.
I want 'em to cut just like a pizza cutter, all the way down to solid ground (where the real traction is).

Two theory's on mud. if'n you can find the bottom then that is dandy... if you can't, then what?

I'll put $10 on a pontiac with 721 radials against that pickup on a drag race on a frozen lake... sure you can use 4wheel... The ol' pontiac has a limited slip in it...

I'll put $10 on a pontiac with 721 radials against that pickup on a drag race on a frozen lake... sure you can use 4wheel... The ol' pontiac has a limited slip in it...

What makes you think the pickup don't?
That one there is a 1994, has the 351W, heavy towing package and was modified in our shop at the dealership for the original owner... limited slip front and rear. Yup, it throws four rooster tails...
He used it for pullin' a camper and horse trailer and didn't wanna' get stuck... in 2000 (maybe it was 2001) he traded it in with 46,000 miles I snatched it up.
Your ol' Pontiac better have studded tires... might even need chains...

Agree with ya 100%. Narrow tires is what you want in the snow for sure---ice is ice! But is the truck a stick?? Wish the truck still looked like the 2nd pic--good looking truck! I understand the rust--I hate rust!

Yes... 7.00-15 Bias Ply.
What did you think they were??

:p

Yea, see it now on my computer.

Don't look very aggressive.... :)

There are roads near me that I'd really like to travel on in the winter, but we're talking snow several feet deep at times. I've been thinking of either tracks for the ATV or a snowmobile, but don't really have anyone to go with me, and me too skeered to be out there myself I think. You get stuck or break something up there, probably ain't coming out till spring..

I ain't bias against no tires. On my ratsun, I run the fi'teen inch leftovers from my boss's ranger on the rear, and the fo'teen inch leftovers from my GFs olds on the front...I have a nice supply squirreled away....

..they kinda sorta hold air and have visible tread brand....point A to B

offroad, you nuts? That's what tractors are for...I ain't taking no wussy azzed truck into the woods to do a tractor job, no way.....tractor got deep lug ag tires on it, like gawd intended

see, no bias against tires!

heres something for ya truck.jpg those are 44's on a 15x16 rim, this is in iceland and is the norm for trucks... i actually know the son of the owner at Arctic Trucks in Icland who are the pioneers of these types of trucks, id like to see youre narrow tires (at a comparable height of course) go the places these these can go.

Latest posts

Back