Chainsaw Chaps Testing Videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I believe in chainsaw chaps. I try to be careful and never say that they will 'prevent' all cuts or injuries, or that people can be careless with their saw when wearing them. Only that they can reduce the risk of injury, or the severity of a cut.

I found some chaps 'test' videos on YouTube that are worth sharing, or for use in training.

Here is the 'classic' test from the State of Washington Department of Labor and Industry:

[youtube]pilcLXpdJK0[/youtube]

Here is one I found rooting around YouTube from an A.S. GTG I was at a few years ago in Wisconsin! Shows how older chaps may not be up to the task.

[youtube]7kmlf9tAXQ4[/youtube]

Jesse Nyholm performing some additional, informal testing on new chaps. Note the comments on different types of cuts, and his fairly aggressive application of the running saw:

[youtube]PUcjgBHD4A8[/youtube]

[youtube]G2L19BCIQmw[/youtube]

Of course, one cut or one improvised test does not 'prove' anything, or apply in every situation. But these generally show the protective effect of chaps.

Philbert

Here's a pair that I saw a chainsaw sculptor wearing at a store opening recently.

I asked him about them, and strongly suggested that they are past due for replacement. He told me that he was going to get around to it in another week or two, and that he had another pair at home that were worse.

attachment.php

Philbert

So what would the shelf life be for a pair of chaps? I have the blue Husqvarna chaps and got them in the later winter of this year.

I fell while limbing a few year ago and took a 372 full bore across my thigh. I know for sure I would have cut my self into the bone without safety pants. I had a small cut and a trashed pair of cutting pants when it was done. I'm a believer.

Chaps need chaps! I think chaps need a machine washable and then disposable outer layer, something that can take the oil and mud, etc and be replaced, leaving the inner layers of protective material clean and intact.

I'm a believer!!!!

I fell while limbing a few year ago and took a 372 full bore across my thigh. I know for sure I would have cut my self into the bone without safety pants. I had a small cut and a trashed pair of cutting pants when it was done. I'm a believer.

Amen Bro,,,, I had a pair save my bacon errr (left thigh) limbing a yellow pine top afew years back, with my ported 372 XPW 28" B&C It is truly amazing wow quickly they stop/lock up the saws B&C I dont work or test a saw without them... Period

So what would the shelf life be for a pair of chaps? I have the blue Husqvarna chaps and got them in the later winter of this year.

I don't know.

I have a pair of the blue Husqvarna's that are several years old, in great shape, and I still have confidence in them. My orange, Husquvarna, 'professional' wrap chaps are also several years old and in great shape. Clean, no tears in the inner or outer fabric, have all the straps and buckles, etc.

I think that the pair that Jesse tested in the first video were not just 'old', but also based on 'old technology'. I hear people talk about wear (obviously the pair in photos in the second post are waaaaaay beyond that point), dirt, etc. Greasy, dirty, pitch impregnated chaps might reduce effectiveness (?). I would love to get someone from one of the manufacturers and who is well versed in the UL standards to give us an authoritative answer. Maybe someone from Labonville can chime in (?).

I also have a 'like new' pair of chaps that are over 20 years old which came with an older saw I bought. I do not have confidence in them due to the age, and would not feel comfortable selling or giving them to someone who might use them. So I think that they may become the subject of another 'test' video at a future GTG.

Philbert

I feel better and better about the $50-60 I spent on a pair of chaps. Also makes me feel better about my other safety gear like helmet and such.

I don't know.

I have a pair of the blue Husqvarna's that are several years old, in great shape, and I still have confidence in them. My orange, Husquvarna, 'professional' wrap chaps are also several years old and in great shape. Clean, no tears in the inner or outer fabric, have all the straps and buckles, etc.

I think that the pair that Jesse tested in the first video were not just 'old', but also based on 'old technology'. I hear people talk about wear (obviously the pair in photos in the second post are waaaaaay beyond that point), dirt, etc. Greasy, dirty, pitch impregnated chaps might reduce effectiveness (?). I would love to get someone from one of the manufacturers and who is well versed in the UL standards to give us an authoritative answer. Maybe someone from Labonville can chime in (?).

I also have a 'like new' pair of chaps that are over 20 years old which came with an older saw I bought. I do not have confidence in them due to the age, and would not feel comfortable selling or giving them to someone who might use them. So I think that they may become the subject of another 'test' video at a future GTG.

Philbert

Supposedly it degrades over time, same as plastic helmets. I cant see them becoming useless though. If anything you could use them for a liner for winter pants, they would still retain some insulation value plus some sort of protection.

Philbert: Thanks for posting this. This subject comes up now and then, and really should be a sticky in my opinion. I have posted the following before, but hope it bears repeating. I have now been cutting wood for about 40 years, and until I joined AS had never even heard of chainsaw chaps. I had never had a serious accident with a chainsaw, but did once have a saw contact my left leg just above the knee. It cost me a pair of jeans, a patched Duofold set of long johns, and a scratch on my leg that turned red but never even leaked. The margin of luck was incredibly thin. Several years back someone posted a pic of a badly cut leg and the need for chainsaw chaps. I read it and one of the posts had the first of your videos in it. I watched that video and didn't touch a saw until I got my Labonvilles. I am a believer and hope that others will be also.

Philbert, ya done a good thing. JR

I sent a note to Labonville asking for their input on the chaps aging and replacement question. Hopefully, they will respond with something helpful.

This video demonstrates why I also recommend steel-toed boots:

[youtube]Pequmgt21Lw[/youtube]

Although, other YouTube videos claim to show saws cutting through the non-toe areas of certain 'chainsaw protective boots (!?). I have been told that boots with metatarsal guards (common in foundries and metal working establishments) provide some additional cut protection for the instep area of the foot compared to plain boots.

Philbert

Chaps need chaps! I think chaps need a machine washable and then disposable outer layer, something that can take the oil and mud, etc and be replaced, leaving the inner layers of protective material clean and intact.

Chaps already are washable

Depends on the chaps. Depends on how you define 'washable'. Depends on how clean you expect them to get.

Some manufacturers state 'machine washable', some say 'only hand wash'. I think that it has to do with the design of the pads or fibers, and how they are attached to the shell. I have only hand washed mine in a large laundry tub, mostly to get off surface mud and rinse a little detergent through the fibers.

Philbert

Yes, but it is a real good idea to never get oil or mix on the chaps. And thats hard to avoid. Just like you never use magic marker on your poly lines or other safety gear/harness. Anything that has solvent qualities to it will degrade these materials.

Or so I have been told. Either way, a removable top layer that could be cleaned or replaced separate I think would be spiffy. If you could have say a ten buck cover that would make the fifty buck and above chaps or cutting pants last years longer..whats not to like?

Curious about the washington State video....... does anyone know if the LaBonville chaps are the 6 ply or 10 ply? Perhaps it said in the video and I missed it?

Covered my new LaBonville Comp Ex chaps in bar oil on my third time wearing them.

(Maybe that's why some companies sell the camo chaps, to hide flippy cap mishaps?)

Below is from the Labonville website. Seems to say that gas does not appreciably affect the Kevlar in their chaps. Notes that other fibers are also used in the complete set of chaps (nylon, polyester, polypropylene, etc.). Other manufacturers may use other materials. Advises against machine washing and washing with bleach. Replace after the first cut (the guy in the second post needs to see this!).

I know that some nylons are affected by UV light, so that might be an issue if you left them out in the sun, or in the back window of your truck, for several years.

Philbert

attachment.php

Web link: Chap Specifications & Care

Latest posts

Back