Consumer Reports does gas vs electric chainsaw face-off

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber MacFallen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Given some of the recent threads on electric saws and the future of gas I thought I'd share this story posted on Consumer Reports. They pitted the Jonsered CS2245 (a 46cc gas saw) with an 18" bar against the Ego 18" chainsaw with a 5.0 amp-hour battery.

They found that in terms of cutting performance both saws performed "excellent" and were both able to cut a 10" square oak beam in under 20 seconds reliably in multiple passes. The Ego is one of the few electric saws that's been able to hang with the gas saws of this size in cut speed.

To test battery life they checked how many passes you could make through a 6x6 inch oak beam. The Ego managed to make it though 80 cuts on a single charge. That's probably more than enough for the typical homeowner to do a day of limbing around the yard or take down a small tree.

Interestingly, the battery pack on the Ego can also be used on a string trimmer. leaf blower, snowblower, etc.

In the end they gave the nod to the Ego over the Jonsered because it's easier to use in terms of chain adjustment and upkeep, but acknowledged both could be good choices: https://www.consumerreports.org/chainsaws/chainsaw-face-off-ego-cs1804-vs-jonsered-cs2245/

CR didn't upload a video of their test, but I did find a video on Youtube of a professional tree climber testing out the Ego for a few minutes if you're curious what it look and sounds like:

If battery tech keeps up an aggressive development pace I'm convinced in 7-10 years everyone will be buying these electric saws. There will be few benefits for the average person (and pros doing smaller jobs in noise sensitive areas) to run gas.

Thats pretty good reading. I have an echo 58v saw and many gas saws. I use them both but in many cases don't really see how they will completely take over gas saws. I live on a small farm in the country. While the electric saw is nice, what if we have a hurricane and have trees down on my cow fences and the power is also out? The electric will run awhile but then no way to charge battery unless you have a generator ect ect. They are useful just don't see them being the only option.

Sent from my LM-X410PM using Tapatalk

The brushless direct drive chainsaws I have make virtually no noise without a bar and chain. I do not know if this ego one has a reduction gear or not.

I found a video about the ego battery might as well post it here. And it is 56 volts if you count the cell voltage at peak of 4 instead of nominal which is around 3.6.

Also looking on ebay it looks like there are generic batteries to fit. Definitely cheaper per kwh than the Husky batteries I have.

Not sure how long it will be before there is a battery saw with a 7 spline drive to take common rim sprockets.

The brushless direct drive chainsaws I have make virtually no noise without a bar and chain. I do not know if this ego one has a reduction gear or not.

I found a video about the ego battery might as well post it here. And it is 56 volts if you count the cell voltage at peak of 4 instead of nominal which is around 3.6.

Also looking on ebay it looks like there are generic batteries to fit. Definitely cheaper per kwh than the Husky batteries I have.

Not sure how long it will be before there is a battery saw with a 7 spline drive to take common rim sprockets.

How about an electric that can compete in power to weight with a 5 cube saw? I too think that unless they can make sounds and smells of 2 stroke motors, there is no fun. Just work.

I might have been a carpenter if a skil saw came with a 35cc motor...

EGO battery tools have been out for quite a while and have a very good reputation here and in Europe. The Home Depot had an exclusive on them for several years in the US, so they were not promoted as aggressively as some other brands.

Philbert

Back