Chainsaw Chaps Testing Videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A pair of pairs spotted at an A.S. GTG (identities withheld as part of our 'Participant Protection Program', but you can tell from the snow that it probably wasn't Kentucky). Maybe they can salvage the 'wrap' parts and make arm chaps?

Philbert

attachment.php

Labonville reply to my question:

#1 Rule - ANY cuts, even nicks and the chaps need to be replaced. Any weakened threading decreases the protection of the chap as a whole.
As far as age, dirt,etc.., Outside of getting specifications for each type of thread and cloth from the manufacturers, it all depends on individual use and care. An analogy would be your car tires for example: How fast do your drive? Do you drive in the cold or do your tires sit in the hot sun? Do you clean and treat them regularly?

I will do some research into the specific materials for you.

Philbert

Anyone have any info on the chaps that you wear like long johns? I'd like to find a pair for sure. BTW, I don't recommend the husqvarna chainsaw chaps, the orange ones. They provide them to us at work, and they are poor quality. The straps come backwards you have to change them around, and the buckles always fall off. On top of that the waist buckle loosens up alot and they are impossible to take a whiz without taking the top part off.

BTW, I don't recommend the husqvarna chainsaw chaps, the orange ones.

I have a pair of the 'apron' (front only) chaps with the pack cloth nylon fronts, and a pair of the 'pro wrap' chaps with the Cordura nylon fronts. They both come in orange or navy. I like mine. Suspenders make them a lot more wearable.

I also have a pair of the Jonsered protective pants. Also wear those with suspenders. They are lighter and cooler than wearing jeans and chaps, but you can't take them off at lunch when they get hot.

Philbert

Last edited:
I have a pair of the 'apron' (front only) chaps with the pack cloth nylon fronts, and a pair of the 'pro wrap' chaps with the Cordura nylon fronts. They both come in orange or navy. I like mine. Suspenders make them a lot more wearable.

I also have a pair of the Jonsered protective pants. Also wear those with suspenders. They are lighter and cooler than wearing jeans and chaps, but you can't take them off at lunch when they get hot.

Philbert

yea i always wear c-spenders with everything no matter what. My favorite thing about c-spenders is you can take a whiz with yer button and fly undone and not worry about your britches falling on ya.

anyways, I warnt sure what colors they came in but someone above posted about the blue ones or something, and I've never tried the blue ones, so I don't want to give the blue ones a bad reputation when I've never even tried them on. Some brands color code things. Example, Stihl's handles- black is junk, orange is homeowner, all white is farm, and white and black is pro. (some colors may be off but in my defense i been drinkin liquid porkchops and I'm about to fall asleep)

Years ago I had cut a couple trees with my then new Husky 61. I was pooped from limbing and struggling through the snow. I had on my Refrigewear -40* snow suit. I carelessly swung the saw off to the left after cutting through a limb and didn't realize how tired my left arm was. I felt a tugging sensation on my left thigh and looked down to see my jeans. Just the chain spinning down had sliced right through the snow suit. I became a believer in chaps at that moment. Won't cut without them. It only takes 1/2 second and your life could be changed (and possibly lost considering I cut in very remote areas), forever.

I have Stihl Chaps and the instructions say that you have to wash them before you put them into service and not to use them unless they have been washed. fluffs up the Engtex or something?

I have a pair of the blue Husqvarna chaps. I know I have a couple of little spots on them from kneeling while cutting. I wonder if I should spot wash them. I will have to check the tag.

If or when I replace the above chaps, I may go full wrap. I am not a faller but I like my legs!

Latest posts

Back