Crankshaft bearing outer race stuck in case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do. I was thinking about conjuring something up with the mig. But I was also thinking that seems like a good way to ruin the case.

Whats your thoughts Pioneerguy?

I do. I was thinking about conjuring something up with the mig. But I was also thinking that seems like a good way to ruin the case.

Whats your thoughts Pioneerguy?
A few times I have had to do this removal I just dropped a big washer, sized to fit inside the race and spot welded it to the race, won`t hurt the case at all, let the weld cool some and punched out the washer and race easily. Others have their ways but this is how I get them out without quickly.

Pioneerguy that’s what I’m thinking too.

I get the heating up the case part. Wouldn’t need map gas, these cases heat up rather quickly with just a heat gun. It’s a 372 btw. I’m not sure how I would pop it out after heating it though. Anything I could fit on the lip to hammer on it would probably mar the case. Am I wrong?

Just weld a big fillet inside the race. When it cools and shrinks the O.D. of the bearing is pulled in few thousands. The race will likely just fall out. Done it many times in my 20+ year career as an industrial mechanic.

Could you cut a small grove in the bearing with a dremel and after you heat it go from the outside with a screwdriver tip in the grove and push it it out?

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I’m sure I’ll be able to get it out using one of the teqniques mentioned.

Hold case by carb end and heat case until it turns too hot to hold onto. Set it down and punch race out, have done this several times.

Pioneerguy that’s what I’m thinking too.

I get the heating up the case part. Wouldn’t need map gas, these cases heat up rather quickly with just a heat gun. It’s a 372 btw. I’m not sure how I would pop it out after heating it though. Anything I could fit on the lip to hammer on it would probably mar the case. Am I wrong?

I would not do that, that is why I spot weld the washer in place, let it cool and hit the washer, the race has already shrunk like mentioned and the race will come out very easy. The other mentioned methods may work but I like to get them out quickly and get on with the job.

I would not do that, that is why I spot weld the washer in place, let it cool and hit the washer, the race has already shrunk like mentioned and the race will come out very easy. The other mentioned methods may work but I like to get them out quickly and get on with the job.
Funny, that is exactly how Husqvarna tech also does it. By the way it works. It's your saw, do as you like.

I suggested welding the race above, once I thought over that's a bad choice. Oil soaked magnesium may be damaged with that heat.

A plain electric heat gun or propane torch should be enough heat, to expand the cases enough to loosen the bearing race. Dissimilar metals, mag will expand more than steel.

Is anyone else finding the site very slow
tonight?

I suggested welding the race above, once I thought over that's a bad choice. Oil soaked magnesium may be damaged with that heat.

A plain electric heat gun or propane torch should be enough heat, to expand the cases enough to loosen the bearing race. Dissimilar metals, mag will expand more than steel.

Is anyone else finding the site very so tonight?

Exactly, just hot enough so you can still hold case by carb end of case at curve, when it gets hot so you can no longer keep in your hand, set it down and punch it out.

Funny, that is exactly how Husqvarna tech also does it. By the way it works. It's your saw, do as you like.

Not funny, we all have our means of doing things, do whatever suits you. I state how I do it,you don`t need to do it my way. I don`t care how a Husqvarna tech does it ,couldn`t care less and I will continue to do it my way as it works for me.

Back