}}Customers Saw{{ He really did a number on it!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up a customers saw this afternoon for repair...

Echo CS-520, 20" bar

He said it would start, but wouldnt move the chain.

Got it back here, and pulled the bar cover off...The Chain brake band was cooked so bad it was broken in 2, the Bar had clearly gotten VERY hot, as the rails were discolored the whole length, the sprocket was worn to nothing, and was seized tight. The ends were worn into the bar alot.
The chain Drive links were shot, all rough and beaten on.

The Drive spool on the clutch looked decent, beleive it or not...

Ive never priced these parts for these saws..about what do they cost retail?

20" Bar
20" Oregon Chain
Brake Band
2 Bar nuts
Clutch spool

The saw cranks on the 1st pull, and runs like a champ. Purrs at idle, and screams up top.

I like the saw myself, it is quite slight, and nearly 0 Vibration, and so quiet!

DOH!!

Might not want to let it scream up top without a chain on it for too long, might just get to hear the "Expensive Noise".

Thats something you dont want to hear, trust me.

RED-85-Z51 said:
I picked up a customers saw this afternoon for repair...

Echo CS-520, 20" bar

He said it would start, but wouldnt move the chain.

Got it back here, and pulled the bar cover off...The Chain brake band was cooked so bad it was broken in 2, the Bar had clearly gotten VERY hot, as the rails were discolored the whole length, the sprocket was worn to nothing, and was seized tight. The ends were worn into the bar alot.
The chain Drive links were shot, all rough and beaten on.

The Drive spool on the clutch looked decent, beleive it or not...

Ive never priced these parts for these saws..about what do they cost retail?

20" Bar
20" Oregon Chain
Brake Band
2 Bar nuts
Clutch spool

The saw cranks on the 1st pull, and runs like a champ. Purrs at idle, and screams up top.

I like the saw myself, it is quite slight, and nearly 0 Vibration, and so quiet!

Red don't worry about the cost, hell the customer is paying for the parts and the repair. Its your job to get it back in shape and make that customer think your the greatest tech around. So don't worry about cost, get that baby fixed up and hand the man the bill for your fine work....

Thanks Guys..

I didnt let it scream no load, only up into the 7-8K range...But it was so smooth up there..not like the Timberbear at all. I know about the expensive noise....:hmm3grin2orange:

He told me to give him a rough estimate of parts and labor, including a total cleanup.

It was filthy, and Ive already cleaned it up, looks good. Had to, to get an idea what was wrong with it.

Hw says his upper limit is 150 for repairs. Because he needs a saw, and can get a poulan or whatever for 150, with a warranty. He cares nothing about the brands, its just a saw, and it needs to work.

I figure 35-40 for a Bar, 25-30 for a good Chain, likely around 10-15 for parts..

That makes it 85 or thereabouts for parts, assuming more parts i nthe brake arent broken.

Labor wont be bad, Figure 110 all said and done...including the cleanup.

I was shocked how well it ran, considering how it looked.

Any comments on the $110 figure? I dont see many Echos, considering my buddy is the Echo dealer, he usually fixes them all. And the couple I get are always cleanup and tune up.

This is The first Echo Ive had that was actually broken.

I was also given an Echo PB1000 Hand Blower the other day..what a smooth runner that is!

RED-85-Z51 said:
Thanks Guys..

I didnt let it scream no load, only up into the 7-8K range...But it was so smooth up there..not like the Timberbear at all. I know about the expensive noise....:hmm3grin2orange:

He told me to give him a rough estimate of parts and labor, including a total cleanup.

It was filthy, and Ive already cleaned it up, looks good. Had to, to get an idea what was wrong with it.

Hw says his upper limit is 150 for repairs. Because he needs a saw, and can get a poulan or whatever for 150, with a warranty. He cares nothing about the brands, its just a saw, and it needs to work.

I figure 35-40 for a Bar, 25-30 for a good Chain, likely around 10-15 for parts..

That makes it 85 or thereabouts for parts, assuming more parts i nthe brake arent broken.

Labor wont be bad, Figure 110 all said and done...including the cleanup.

I was shocked how well it ran, considering how it looked.

Any comments on the $110 figure? I dont see many Echos, considering my buddy is the Echo dealer, he usually fixes them all. And the couple I get are always cleanup and tune up.

This is The first Echo Ive had that was actually broken.

I was also given an Echo PB1000 Hand Blower the other day..what a smooth runner that is!

He should be happy as hell!!! That sounds very much on the cheap side. I guess if you are ok with it then it's ok. Don't sell yourself too cheap, he gave it to you to fix cause he doesn't have the tools, knowledge, or ability to do the repairs. Or even clean up his saw once in a while.
It sounds like a nice easy repair, hope it goes good.
Mark

Wow I haven't seen a THall post in quite a while. He was always a good read.

Back