DHT 22 ton splitter review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revturbo977

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have about a cord through my dirty hand tools 22 ton splitter and I thought I'd give some feedback. I ordered it through Home Depot. It came packaged in pieces in a big crate . Took me about an hour or so to get it together and up and running. Started splitting and immediately loved it. This thing is quick. And surprisingly powerful. I had a big ole knotty sucker that was about 32 inches in dia. It took a little bit but it popped just fine. The only draw back I see is I wish there was a tray in the front too to catch the pieces.
The ram gets pretty hot after running for a while . I never noticed this on other splitters, is it common?

How much Hydraulic fluid does your splitter hold?

I have about 5.5 gallons in it now. I could probably get more in. Why?

We are happy to hear you are enjoying your new splitter, and glad that HD serviced you well. The cylinder will feel warm to the touch after running for a while. This is nothing to worry about. We recommend AW32 or preferably AW46 oil if you are in warmer climates. Your unit should have about a 6.5 gallon system hydraulic capacity. Adding a little more oil will help it run slightly cooler, that is what the other fellas were suggesting, just be careful not to over fill it.

If you wanted a log catcher on both sides we could probably sell you a second one. It would mount just the same way as the one opposite the operator area now. You would just need to drill 2 holes for the upper bolts as they are not there currently. Probably a 20 min job.

My system won't hold 6.5 gallons. After reading about more oil tends to be better i figured I would put some more in. It will only hold a little past 5.5 gallons. Pretty big mess to clean up. I even tried cycling it a bunch of times but it just won't hold much more then 5.5

Same with my 28 ton. A touch over 5 gallons and the stick says it's full after purging all the air.

Those tanks hold a max 4.7 gallons, a 4.5" cylinder holds 1.4 gallons with the ram in the retracted position (1.65 gallons in the extended position), the hoses+filter canister+valve etc holds an additional 0.5 gallons.....so sum total on a 27/28 ton is just about 6.5 gallons. The 22 ton would be slightly less, a 35 ton with a 5" cylinder slightly more. Often time there is a little oil left in the cylinder because each cylinder is tested at the factory, so you may have to put in less oil than the entire system actually holds.

Back