Electric Chainsaws???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr27236

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Now before you all go and rip me to shreds......NO I don't own one. Lol
I was just looking on CL for what might be for sale as for gas when I came across and ad for a Craftsman Electric 4.0 HP???? Really???? No Way, what would that be in an equivalent 2 stroke, like 72+???

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The usual household 2 prong plug on a 15 amp breaker?
15 amps X 120 volts = 1800 watts
1 kilowatt = 1.341 horsepower so:
1800 watts = 2.41 horsepower X 80% efficiency = 1.93 horsepower.

In real terms my Worx 303.1 can keep up with my MS170.

Most electrc saws have the torque but not the rpm thus not the rated HP. My 3.25 HP Echo doesn't seem to have the gas equivilant of even 1 HP. My Stihl MSE220 has 70cc torque but doesn't have the rpm so only cuts as fast as my 026 with 16" bars buried.

Gross that is sickening. That's like choosing a hot dog over a rib eye steak. Electric saws are more dangerous when you trip over a cord and hurt ur ankle. To own an electric saw is like a Ford Mustang with front wheel drive. HI. I use a cell phone with no minutes and talk to myself. Yeah stick with gas saws they are safer when you hear them running you know to stand clear of the saw n operator. Gas saws are like a big 4wd truck. Ur gunnar make it through most everything

I had a electric Remington I gave it tout the neighbor and he used it once and said he will stick with his earthquake saw

I make enough noise so if I can spare the neighbors I will. Electric saws can be run indoors like inn my basement. Cords are a trip hazzard no doubt, however they teach a person to be careful of where you walk and put your feet.

Electric chainsaws are very similar to gas chainsaws in that there is a wide variety of quality and price. Milwaukee makes some really powerful electric saws and others do as well. A $40 saw is not going to perform like a $500 saw.
Rated or rather touted horsepower is often bullcrap. Like the shop vac that says 4.2 peak hp. What's peak horsepower? About the same as horse xxxx. Same thing applies to a lot of gas engines...
Nothing wrong with an electric chainsaw, just don't expect much from one that costs fifty bucks.

Wow, didn't expect so many replies. I myself can see these as a tool that can be used for that quick cut and trim or indoors for some post/beam work, or maybe you wake up at three am, sleep carve a bear without waking the wife! But I'd stihl rather break out my Stihl 310 ore 441 to make the smallest of cuts just to use it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lots of threads here on corded electric and battery powered chainsaws. Always have to remind skeptics that the first STIHL saw was . . . (wait for it) . . .
electric.

Lot of skeptics about battery powered tools as well, not too many years ago. Most are comments from guys who have not used a good one.

And if you are going to trip on your extension cord, maybe there are some other sharp and shiny objects we should keep away from you.

Philbert

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/electric-chainsaws.252573/#post-5503610

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...e20-vs-new-makita-uc4030.174360/#post-4397152

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...corded-electric-chainsaw.268379/#post-5090392

As far as I understand in Europe countries running 220 Volt in their wall sockets (mono phase) limit the current a device is allowed to draw to 2200 Watts / 10 Amperes.
That is 2.2 kW , or close to 3 HP if one would convert it directly.
I don't think I have ever seen electric mono phase power tools rated over 2200 W.

The first chainsaw I ever used was an electric one, Sachs-Dolmar 285.
It was rated 1300 W and was a pleasure to use.
The extension cord is something that needs getting used to, and for obvious reasons cutting firewood while it's raining or snowing is usually not recommended.
This saw gave its life cutting firewood for years, wore down 1 sprocket to zero and a second to well worn out - in the end the plastic housing gave up where the bar mounts, the motor and oil pump are still operational.
My dad said he'll take a second look at this saw and try to resurrect it.

There have been photos and links posted about 220V and 3-phase chainsaws, and even some of the industrial, 'package cutters'. But I believe the OP is generally referring to saws running off 120 V household current. This practically limits them to about 15 amps and a 100 foot extension cord, although, I have run them off of a generator doing hurricane cleanup.

Clearly, they are not convenient in the woods, or up in a tree. They are incredibly convenient at a wood pile, where most of the work is done at a sawbuck, or within a few feet of walking. 'On/Off' operation; no rope pulling; no flooding; no smoke; no ethanol issues; no lean seizing; no tune ups; no spark plugs, air filter, fuel filters; etc., etc., etc. Plenty of power. If the saw does not work, you either pulled out the plug or tripped a breaker.

As for the cord, you run it from behind you. Nobody complains about cords using circular saws, reciprocating saws, and lots of other construction equipment. Nobody complains about air hoses running nail guns, etc.

As for the chaps, they are not rated for electric saws, due to the way that they work. We did an informal test at a GTG with a battery powered saw, and the chaps worked by jamming up the nose sprocket on that saw, instead of by jamming the drive sprocket on a gas saw. No guarantees.

Anyone who wants to try a better quality electric saw can rent one of the Makitas at The Home Depot - if you are lucky, they will also let you buy a used one. The Oregon and some Worx models offer moderate priced options. And the $40 saws - well, what do you expect from a $40 saw, gas or electric?

Philbert

We have a Homelite SEL electric chainsaw, it was handy for cutting out walls and flooring in the house when we were renovating since you can cut right up flush against a wall. Electric saws aren't THAT quiet once you put them in wood, but they are quieter than a XL12 for sure. They're also handy for quartering beef/moose/deer when you put veggie oil in them.

I hate these 'peak power' sales tactics... Another one is these cheap stereos that claim "1500 W peak", while they're about 50 watt continuous... I have an old Marantz 2275 rated at 75W/channel, and that's continuous output for 1 hour with less than .01% THD.. THAT is a rating you can take to the bank.. it ROCKS 4 10" speakers and sounds awesome.. shame I never get to work it! It's just like a gas engine rated at 200 hp isn't going to tow a heavy trailer half as well as a 160HP diesel would

My point was and still is, electric chainsaws can be handy and convenient to use. Does one take the place of any and all chainsaws? Obviously not.

Do I really care about the hp ratings and if they are all that accurate? No, I don't! I'm not looking for one to drop a tree with.

That having been said, I like having one available to me when needed. Would I be courageous enough to pay in excess of $400.00 or so for one? Hell no!! I'm afraid that if I did, I'd be very disappointed if it didn't live up to it's price and hype.

My Remington was like NIB and I got it at a yard sale for $10.00. Does it live up to that? It does and has, many times over.

Back