Electric Chainsaws???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Finland, we have 230V single phase with 16A rated supplies and most homes outside of cities will also have 400V three phase supplies at 32/54A.

A friend here runs a homemade firewood processor with an 8HP three phase motor spinning a harvester bar, fed from his laundry room in the basement. Reading a thread like this reminds me we're a little 'spoiled' with availability of supply and choice of electric tools for home use.

In the UK, it's 220V 13A tripped outlets and it will cost an arm and a leg for a 3 phase hookup. It limits your choices of tool and size. Rotary and solid state converters are megabucks also.

What's the available amperage on a typical 110 supply in the US? In the UK, the lower amperage for delivery means extension cords usually just cause the supply to trip on the consumer unit when you try running something with a large inrush. I had a 3HP single phase compressor that used to trip the board when I started it if the tank was more than half pressurised!

Around here the 120V plugs are typically 15A (1800W) or sometimes (if specially wired) 20A (2400W).. if you want any more power you're going to have to go with 240V which in practical terms you can get as big as 50HP motors, but anything more and you're going to have to get 3 phase, probably in 480 or 575V.

I have a solid state inverter variable frequency drive to run my 240V 3 phase lathe.. it was expensive, but it is wonderful to have.

Like I said before, they have a purpose. I can't see them replacing a gas saw, but I also can't see running my gas saw in the house. At least I wouldn't want to. You just have to remember what they're limitations are.
Just don't run it in the living room.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

As Rx7man noted, most household outlets here are 110 to 120 Volts, and 15 to 20 Amps. Most consumer tools are limited to 15 Amps because of this.

Most houses have 220 Volt service, used for clothes dryers, electric stoves, electric water heaters, etc. But 220 Volt tools are considered 'commercial' or 'industrial', and not as common.

Some farms may have larger electric service, and three phase power is available if you are willing to pay for it, or if you are lucky.

Philbert

As Rx7man noted, most household outlets here are 110 to 120 Volts, and 15 to 20 Amps. Most consumer tools are limited to 15 Amps because of this.

Most houses have 220 Volt service, used for clothes dryers, electric stoves, electric water heaters, etc. But 220 Volt tools are considered 'commercial' or 'industrial', and not as common.

Some farms may have larger electric service, and three phase power is available if you are willing to pay for it, or if you are lucky.

Philbert

In the US it's 240v and 120v. I think some of Europe (where you live?) is 220v

The power company here wanted $50,000 15 years ago to hook up 3 phase to the shop (to run a big planer/molder). 3 phase runs to the farm next door, the pole is maybe 10ft from the corner of our log yard, about 200ish feet from the wood shop!

We got a 220hp gen set instead.

I used to work with a guy who ran a Remington electric chain saw. He climbed up a ladder with one, preparing to cut off a branch while I held the ladder in place. Half way up while carrying the saw, he lit a cigarette. I said, "Melvin, why did you light that weed now?"

Melvin responded, "It gives me confidence to smoke and cut wood at the same time."

Then he switched on the saw with the cig in his mouth and cut the top rung of the ladder in half. I guess the smoke got into his eyes.

I used to work with a guy who ran a Remington electric chain saw. He climbed up a ladder with one, preparing to cut off a branch while I held the ladder in place. Half way up while carrying the saw, he lit a cigarette. I said, "Melvin, why did you light that weed now?"

Melvin responded, "It gives me confidence to smoke and cut wood at the same time."

Then he switched on the saw with the cig in his mouth and cut the top rung of the ladder in half. I guess the smoke got into his eyes.

Haha that made me laugh.

My wife loves when I run the electric in the bedroom! Oh wait.. we're talking about chainsaws...

Seriously though, I've heard of Irrigation companies using them to cut out large roots. At $40-$50 the el-cheapos are practically disposable.

My cordless Makita is light weight I've used it a few times outside of work for cutting branches. I've taken out trees and bushes at work with it. I almost purchased an electric saw for cutting up pallets for my fire starting but then didn't because one nail will ruin the chain where as a sawzall or circular saw will hold up to nails.

Who has thousands of feet of extension cords to cut down trees? Maybe for processing wood near the house it would be nice but I don't see any advantage.

Now an electric motor powered hydrlic splitter would be awesome.

Electric saws are for cutting in the city, near out buildings, etc. I am always within 100 feet of an outlet where I live.

Great for cutting up firewood to length.

I have cleaned up a lot of storm damage in the city with corded, electric chainsaws. People always assume that the power goes out, but they are pretty good at keeping it up around here. Will try to post some pictures.

Philbert

We have a few "old timer" regulars that bring electric saws in for sharpening.

They are fairly lightweight and no gas to mix, so there is that. Also no fumes, which does bother some folks (asthma, etc).

One fellow has easily 15-20 of the Remington electric saws. He switches around until they are dull or broken and brings them in by the truckload. It's kind of funny, the saws are maybe $100 new, but he won't chuck one if it's junk. We've put $100+ of parts and labor in a few of them and that's what he wants.

My Dad bought one a few years ago for the garage. He gets old dunnage from his work to burn in the stove in his garage. He can run the saw inside and not smoke up the place.

Latest posts

Back