Electric Chainsaws???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe for processing wood near the house it would be nice but I don't see any advantage.
No fuel to buy/mix/dispose of; no ethanol issues; no straight gassing or lean seizures; no flooding; no hard starting; no spark plug to foul; no carb to adjust; no fuel filter to change; no air filter to clean; no smoke; less noise; no hot muffler or sparks; easy on / easy off; less vibration; relatively light; can store inside with no gas fumes; starts after months of storage with no fuss; . . . . (might have missed a few)

Will try to post some pictures.
Stuff I cut in city yards; scrounged wood, helping neighbors, cleaning up storm damage, etc. As VF notes, above, some guys will also cut wood in a pole barn, etc., with electric saws.

P1103481.jpg IMG_5168.jpg IMG_5169.jpg P3121661.JPG P4172339.JPG P5052409.JPG P5052410.JPG

Philbert

In time, the power cords may actually take more abuse than the saws do. The same guy who cut the top rung of his ladder in half with his electric saw used to go through a half dozen power cords a year and most had scars all over them. He was an expert at cutting the power cords in half also.

Electric 12 amp sawzall with a 11 inch blade is my electric corded saw or my Makita cordless.
Earlier this year, I was cleaning up some tornado damage. Had building debris from a garage, mixed in with a large, fallen tree, so I had to go in with a cordless Sawzall first, using a carbide demolition blade, to remove the building materials and contents.

Used it to cut some entangled limbs from the building, and some building materials (studs, plywood, corrugated metal) from the limbs.

While waiting for the saw crew, I kept cutting everything up to about 8 inches in diameter, with the Sawzall, until I ran out of batteries.

If you are patient, and have enough batteries, you can do a lot of work with those and the right blades!

Philbert

My new inside the barn saw I lucked in to.

Got from original owner. Used to take care of it for them and told them IF they ever got rid of it for any reason. I wanted it. Came to me locked up not working they said. Now works great.

pp400e.jpg pp400.jpg pp400d.jpg

Earlier this year I found an 18V B&D sawzall and have been using it a good bit doing my Irma cleanup. I will use it on dirty roots that I wouldn't touch with a chainsaw. Doesn't seem to really hurt the blade. I bought a Bosch variety pack of pruning and demo blades from Lowes for $10.

I'm pretty sure that the sawzall is the universal saw in the world. At least for me it is it's the main saw I use on a regular basis and I'm pretty good with it. I've seen framers use circular saws for everything just depends what you are used to. I feel like I'd trash an electric saw chain in about 5 minutes.

If I buy a 18" bar 15 amp saw and bury it what will happen?
If you use a 12 gauge cord, on a decent circuit, have a sharp chain, and let the saw do the work, you will end up with 2 pieces of wood.

I have tried running tools on improvised farm circuits that just did not have the amperage to support the 15A outlet. I can bog down most gas saws under the right set of circumstances.

Philbert

If you use a 12 gauge cord, on a decent circuit, have a sharp chain, and let the saw do the work, you will end up with 2 pieces of wood.

I have tried running tools on improvised farm circuits that just did not have the amperage to support the 15A outlet. I can bog down most gas saws under the right set of circumstances.

Philbert

I get that I just think it's odd that they sell a 15 amp chainsaw with a 18 inch bar. Buy a 12 gauge 100 foot cord it will cost as much as the saw then you need a 20 amp breaker and outlet. So you have spent more on the cord and circuit than the saw lol most home owners will use a 16 gauge cord.

Also have you ever seen a 4 hp electric motor it's way bigger than a chain saw and better be 3 phase.

Maybe I'll buy one and try it out they seem pretty cheap.

Sti
I get that I just think it's odd that they sell a 15 amp chainsaw with a 18 inch bar. Buy a 12 gauge 100 foot cord it will cost as much as the saw then you need a 20 amp breaker and outlet. So you have spent more on the cord and circuit than the saw lol most home owners will use a 16 gauge cord.

Also have you ever seen a 4 hp electric motor it's way bigger than a chain saw and better be 3 phase.

The Stihl 15 amp saw with a 16-20" bar........$500+ retail if I remember right.

And Stihl used to sell 220 3-phase saws.....51" bar I think.

Buy a 12 gauge 100 foot cord it will cost as much as the saw . . .

$50 to $80 around here, depending on where you buy, or if you find it on sale. Can use it for lots of things, besides the saw.

A good gas can, ($10 - $20?), plus ethanol free fuel ($3 - $4 / gallon), plus mix oil ($2 / gallon), plus maintenance and repairs on a gas engine ($????) . . .

Get a good one!

Philbert

Latest posts

Back